Superintelligence - EN:DE

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Superintelligence - EN:DE

Postby encode_decode » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:07 pm

I dont know why, perhaps because I am not super intelligent but:

I have always imagined that a superintelligence would not encounter the problems that we the human race encounter and have encountered.

Anomaly654 wrote:
    a superintelligence would be something that is able to show good sense quickly along with the capacity for inventive thought

The movie Soylent Green comes to mind. Efficient and utilitarian use of a commodity?

I have never seen the movie so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Are you saying that an efficient and utilitarian use of a commodity is a super intelligent thing to do based on the definition I gave or that a superintelligence would exhibit this type of thought - I am leaning toward the former as a guess to what you meant - and perhaps both.

A point that stood out in the Wikipedia article was contained within the plot to the movie and is as follows: The 20th century's industrialization led to overcrowding, pollution and global warming due to the greenhouse effect. It now has me wondering whether industrialization or overcrowding shows that we are intelligent at all - even though I intend some sarcasm, surely a superintelligence would be able to avoid such problems with forethought.
      Neosophi | οἶκος | ἀγορά

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
      (Anomaly654 - 2017)

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning
      - which is to say there is always meaning.

(gib - 2017)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
      (Myself - 2017)
      encode_decode
      Philosopher

Re: Superintelligence - EN:DE

Postby Meno_ » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Zero_Sum wrote:
      Meno_ wrote:Yes , negation or the concept that negates two contrary propositions is reductive to Plato.Therefore it is a myth. As much of a myth as Hegel's dialectic.
      It dissent completely nihikate to nothingness or, does it reach a. absolute.

So, you reject negation? What's that make you exactly? What's your embraced position?

Negation is like a scale, put an equal weight to counterbalance one on the other scale. But scales are deceptive and inaccurate and they do not eliminate each other, they merely tip the scale, and how long that lasts is only a measure of expediency. They remain and are constantly revalued.
      Meno_
      Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 am

I recently read something similar to the following and is related somewhat to the Reality vs Perception thread:

I envision that a superintelligence would know what the positions and velocities of every particle in the universe are in any given moment and be able to calculate their past and future arrangements too. Such an intelligence would find past and future alike "present to its eyes".

I am not sure whether it is entirely necessary to go this far to define a superintelligence however.
          Neosophi | οἶκος | ἀγορά

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
          (Anomaly654 - 2017)

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning
          - which is to say there is always meaning.

(gib - 2017)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
          (Myself - 2017)
          encode_decode
          Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:53 pm

encode_decode wrote:
            I recently read something similar to the following and is related somewhat to the Reality vs Perception thread:

I envision that a superintelligence would know what the positions and velocities of every particle in the universe are in any given moment and be able to calculate their past and future arrangements too. Such an intelligence would find past and future alike "present to its eyes".

I am not sure whether it is entirely necessary to go this far to define a superintelligence however.

Such an intelligence would have serious issues. Not only would it require literally infinite memory capacity, but also more than infinite processing speed in order to keep up. And then to make it even worse, when such an intelligence realizes its own actions as a part of what is happening and will happen, the earlier concern for infinite processing ability suddenly seems infinitesimal in comparison. And even further, the issue of The Three Body Problem makes calculating many situations literally impossible, whether future or past.

The universe isn't digitized nor quantized .. for a reason.
            Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
            Else
            From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
            The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
            It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
            As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
            Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
            James S Saint
            ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy