Emotions

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Emotions

Postby waechter418 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Particular Projection/Reflection (P/R) modes engender particular emotions.

Being aberrations of Will the force of creation, and Love the force that unites (relates) its manifestations - emotions may be considered weak forces.
Strong force arises in the P/R equation of Will & Love

Emotions tend to distort and impede the operations of mind – markedly those regarding its Self-realization.

There are probably as many emotions as there are P/R varieties, although some, like envy & jealousy, emanate from similar confusions.

Concerning Self-realization, the most misleading emotions are wishes & hopes, as they stir the belief of Homo to be able to be someone else than he is.

Like all his weaknesses, Homo justifies his emotions too, claiming that they are essential for his survival as well as for being human, which might also be the reason for his belief that emotions make up a “person” (Latin: actors mask). A belief which has reached religious scales, considering that all the lost, the losers & those who want to play a role in life, make – with the help of media & commerce – ever more spectacles of their emotions, thus turning them into the most popular and successful self-deception-tool of modern times.

A fatal emotion is fear, as it impedes the interactivity of psyche & soma, and thus can paralyze the mind.
(An effective way to get rid of fear is doing everything that provokes and drives it to its limits.)

When emotions become too much for Homo to handle, his psychologists & moralists place them into sub-conscious & sinful regions, thus enabling to regard himself as their victim.
(Sub-consciousness denotes here a garbage disposal or dungeon of mind)

However, emotions can be useful too, when scorn and anger arise, inflaming the desire to get rid of this mess - and if they are joined by pride and the lust to fight, the much the better, as they enable to attack vigorous and joyful all that which obstructs Self-realization.
User avatar
waechter418
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Emotions

Postby Prismatic567 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:41 am

The 'purpose' of primary and secondary emotions [etymologically, emote = to move] are to facilitate survival of the individual[s] and reproduction to ensure the preservation of the species.

e.g. love and happiness [from pleasure] are triggered to facilitate reproduction and tendering of offsprings.
Fear is triggered to avoid threats to premature death, thus facilitate survival.

Non-human emotions are driven by instincts. Human emotions whilst triggered by instincts need to be modulated to align with optimal survival and reproduction. As Aristotle advocated for anger (is generic to all emotions);

    Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy. - Aristotle

Emotions are a problem when taken to the extreme and deviated from its original purpose. Unmodulated anger can lead to war and the consequences of untold sufferings to human beings.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Re: Emotions

Postby WilliamL » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

Emotional reactions are coded in our gene.They helped our species by producing quick reactions to threat, reward, and everything in between in their environments. Fear motivates us to run away from danger . Sadness motivates us to withdraw and heal from a loss. Anger motivates us to take or protect what is ours.
WilliamL
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am

Re: Emotions

Postby waechter418 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Oriental, foremost Hindu, Taoist & Buddhist thinkers, developed and taught during millennia a vast variety of techniques to control, reduce and eradicate emotions. Practitioners of these methods claim living a much fuller and more humanistic life.
In the Occident* obviously still prevails the myth that emotions are predetermined by genesis & genetics and thus could and ought neither be eliminated nor controlled.
User avatar
waechter418
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Emotions

Postby URUZ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

It’s not about removing or overcoming emotions. That’s just a silly narcotic.

It’s about removing and overcoming emotional reactivity. Integrate emotion proper with your reason and mental universe. And with your body. When you do this emotionality actually increases tenfold.

I happen to know what emotions are. Eastern mystics and religious idiots don’t. They’re basically afraid of their own truths, and trying to impose a slavery on themselves, a forced and false stoicism.

Good thing the earth doesn’t give a shit for that nonsense.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Emotions

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 pm

waechter418 wrote:Oriental, foremost Hindu, Taoist & Buddhist thinkers, developed and taught during millennia a vast variety of techniques to control, reduce and eradicate emotions. Practitioners of these methods claim living a much fuller and more humanistic life.
In the Occident* obviously still prevails the myth that emotions are predetermined by genesis & genetics and thus could and ought neither be eliminated nor controlled.
We could view all this as outcomes based on the denied fear of emotions. IOW just because a bunch of people do things and give fancy justifications does not mean it is either a good heuristic or objective. And if they have eliminated their emotions, they have eliminated their own ability to judge how full life is and how humanistic it is. It would be, by definition, inhuman, and experientially emptier.
Last edited by Karpel Tunnel on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Emotions

Postby waechter418 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm

UrGod wrote:It’s not about removing or overcoming emotions. That’s just a silly narcotic.

It’s about removing and overcoming emotional reactivity. Integrate emotion proper with your reason and mental universe. And with your body. When you do this emotionality actually increases tenfold.

I happen to know what emotions are. Eastern mystics and religious idiots don’t. They’re basically afraid of their own truths, and trying to impose a slavery on themselves, a forced and false stoicism.


Both approaches are equally valid when motivated by Do Thy Will
User avatar
waechter418
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Emotions

Postby URUZ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 pm

waechter418 wrote:
UrGod wrote:It’s not about removing or overcoming emotions. That’s just a silly narcotic.

It’s about removing and overcoming emotional reactivity. Integrate emotion proper with your reason and mental universe. And with your body. When you do this emotionality actually increases tenfold.

I happen to know what emotions are. Eastern mystics and religious idiots don’t. They’re basically afraid of their own truths, and trying to impose a slavery on themselves, a forced and false stoicism.


Both approaches are equally valid when motivated by Do Thy Will


No idea what that means, but cool bruh.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi


Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users