Twenty Two Thousand Ways of Killing Socrates

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Twenty Two Thousand Ways of Killing Socrates

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Yes Humean this is a philosophic post.
Here is the thesis.
Socrates, in questioning the Athenian citizenry, relied for his punchlines and points on the substance of their characters, education and general virtue. By degrading or breaking these down with sophistic reason combined with analytical genius, by humiliating virtues, he was all to exult a certain type of reasoning, and feel somewhat alright with himself, feel "his daemon". He felt his will to power.

Since then all reason has become degrading of virtue, and there is no virtue left among he citizenry. Nothing like in Athens, for sure.
So my conclusion here is that Socrates would not survive in this climate. There is no virtue to parasite off of.

It is my conviction that he would perish of this environment.
And I challenge any of you to ...kill Socrates... with documents, videos, quotations, analyses or descriptions of such things that could bring the old man down before he would even get out of bed.... as happens with so many of us.
Thunderbolt steers all things.

I've been guided somewhat by William Blake's quote: "I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create". Just change 'system' for 'style'. - Bill

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Return to Philosophy