50 bux to whoever can disprove Neitzche.

Nietzsche wasn’t sure about the eternal recurrence. No one is or can be. I’m pretty sure of that!

Then again, he also said the idea that it might be true suffices. He compared it to the possibility of Hell (cf. “Pascal’s wager”). But even if it’s true, there’s no memory of previous cycles, precisely because the cycles are identical. Your infinite future cycles won’t be any worse than your current one–though no better, either.

If you have it in you to create a DNA machine, you don’t need one. Thanks for the K-PAX reference!

Neitzche? :laughing:

Do you mean Freidrisch Neitzche or Friedrich Nietzsche?

And what do you mean by “disprove” here?

Shall we disprove his existence or what?

I don’t know any Neitzche.

the Fried-rich variety, like gourmet foods.

Not true, someone could be an ugly, with failing health, and still have the brains for a DNA machine.

Also, you’re welcome for the KPAX reference.

That’s a false statement.

Anyway, I used to be an enlightened being goodie two shoes, wanting happiness for all.

But the thing about enlightenment is you start to realize everybody dies, so why be nice to people when they don’t even give you the noble prize or even the time of day on Ted talks to try and better their lives? So let’s say you’re a deity, you see the evil of humanity and are evil in return.

I believe it was Aristotle who said 'We create our own reality ". So this is your responsibility. I believe that Neitzche was a tortured soul,albeit world renowned and one of the greatest philosophers of all time. I don’t understand your necessity to disprove him entirely ! He had gone through a lot of very stressful periods in his life which most likely had influenced some of his books, for one,“Thus Spake Zarathusta” (not sure of spelling) for me was very difficult and was happy to move on to easier reading. I think the intensity in his life was reflected by his very famous quote “If it doesn’t kill me it makes me stronger”
I believe you may be suffering a bit from a martyr complex of sorts based on your statements of trying for 5 years to create you own reality in building a fully operational dna machine. If you have done so I am sure the medical profession would be astonished and you held in very high regard! However ,even if this dna machine is not operational, it should not take away your self esteem, as success is built on many failures. Never give up but be realistic with you goals. Neitzche himself after disavowing the church and his statement that “God is dead and we killed him”, led him to try to create an alternative to organized religion. This was an incredible and almost impossible task to fulfill and in the end failed to do so.
I wish you the best in your endeavors.

P.S. I am new to this site and notice that there are many well read contributors here! Good.

I didn’t just mean in your head. In order to bring it about, you’d also have to have charisma and be in sufficiently good health to “perform”–i.e., to do the required thinking and hustling. If you make a machine that makes you better, you’re really making yourself better; the machine is not really doing it, it’s just a means, a tool.

Being nice to people will stop you from being perpetually miserable because you have no friends or cannot get laid because being nice is how you will make friends and get laid. You will feel much better about yourself as a consequence of this because you will be bringing love in to peoples lives. You will feel more appreciated which will make you want to do it to more people. You can still be a narcissist but you shall no longer be a miserable one like you are now. But instead a happy one
spreading peace and love and having it reciprocated as well. You may not get a Nobel Prize or make any Ted talks but that will not matter if you are actually happy

Your comments feel like you have indeed traveled a long stretch of the road to enlightenment … who knows how many lifetimes you have invested?

Your reaction(s) to your experiences along the way are also typical of those who have written about their journey to enlightenment.

Some people argue that so many of us give up just when the goal line is within reach.

Trixie … have you ever considered the possibility that you may be a reincarnation of Neitzche?

While I’ve never read any of his writings I feel his frustration/bitterness.

Here’s a hypothetical synopsis of his life:

1. He was a passionate seeker … of Truth … of Enlightenment.

2. At some point in his life he could ‘see’ the goal line.

3. Despite relentless attempts to close the tiny gap, he failed to get there.

4. His writings are a manifestation of his frustrations/bitterness … hence his proposal as rendered by you in your opening comment … Neitzche says I have to repeat my life over and over for infinity living out my miserable life over and over infinitely.

Neitzche may be correct but he doesn’t tell the whole story. So what’s the whole story?

Achieving the “goal line” of Enlightenment is not within the purview of a mere human mortal. Those persons who attempt to “make it happen” are trapped in the situation you described above.

OTH … those persons in the community … “let it happen” … ergo … surrender … are more likely to be set free of the trap.

I probably was Neitzche in a past life, and maybe also Tesla and the woman who discovered DNA. My whole life I feel like I am being oppressed and people don’t give credit to me.

Now also I am 150% Enlightened, the more enlightened I get the more mad I become. I recognize I am just one person out of 7 billion. My life is just one of many. When I read internet forums I try to imagine that These are real people with lives just like mine who have sentience. This is as Enlightened as it gets. And it makes me mad how unenlightened the world is, How the world can abuse me and not treat me like a human being, how the world can not treat me good like everyone else. I especially hate lesbians because most of them are bigots at me because I was randomly born male and want to be a male lesbian. Its like, how unenlightened can you get? I did not choose this body. Stop bullying me I am a soul just like you.

Its like 12 kids in elementary school sitting down. They bully the kid with freckles. Its like the kids just a random soul born into a random body, he didnt choose to have freckles stop bullying him.

Human kind needs to be made extinct for its own good. Asteroids will save them from their suffering and evil ways.

So much for my small miracle … getting my hands on the fifty bux. :slight_smile:

I’m grateful for your OP … I now have empathy and compassion for Neitzche. :slight_smile:

You probably were Neitzche, but most certainly not Nietzsche. :slight_smile:

I were probably Nietzsche but certainly was .

I’ll take it in Deutsche Marks please

Are you always drunk? :laughing:

No no I am not. You missed the thematic implications of what the implications are of identification between a probability and. a certainty . That the roots of Nietzche’s thoughts are derivable from a common source is an inevitable conclusion since Nietzhe interpreted the trends leading to. arguable and memorable and denotable conclusions based on his observation and intuition.

On the other hand for readers and interpreters to come to the. exact same intended conclusion is a matter of probable retracing of those derivations. They will be unable to source them exactly but only connote originality by not being able to. trace the course of the trains of thought therefore. tracing it as it was an attributable. original source , bypassing most of the contents of the metaphor.

Presumably it was just rhetorical to present something unfalsifiable as potentially disprovable?

You might as well have offered to give $50 to whoever can prove Nietzsche’s eternal recurrence, that $50 is still going to remain in your possession. What parameters could there be for proving or disproving any kind of resurrection? Firstly it would be required that there be no continuity of consciousness and memory, and no physical continuity (beyond the expected probability of randomly being constituted of any number of the same atoms or even entire molecules as the previous being) such it may reasonably be determined that a former life had indeed come to an end/begun again and wasn’t just continuing - and what else is there to test similarity or even sameness between two separate lives? Consciousness and memory, and physical constitution change enough during the “same” life as it is. In light of this it’s vague enough to attempt to define identity even over the course of the “same” life lived just once.

How then is it consistently “you” living what is identifiable as the “same” life more than once, to any reasonable degree of precision?

Consider as well how a hypothetically identical baby might be born into a different environment (as has been simulated with identical twins being separated at birth) - for all the common ground they might surprisingly share if the different environments were similar enough, the more different the environment the more that baby would grow up into a different “person”: “you” are the interaction of your environment with your genetics. With some things in life behaving very much in line with the “sensitivity to initial conditions” of chaos theory (spiraling into radically different outcomes with just the tiniest of discrepancies), it would follow that all initial environmental conditions would have to be identical in order for you to live the exact same life more than once, an outcome that would require the suspense of natural laws unless there were some perfect universal reverting mechanism that has never so far even been hinted at - quite the opposite from empirical evidence gained so far in fact, the universe seems to have be expanding since time began and has therefore been ever-changing all the while. Even if it were possible for your life to recur, perhaps separated by countless aeons each time, you won’t currently remember eternally living the same life as you are currently living any previous times, so nor would your future lives be in any way affected by your current one - it would be unnoticeable even if it were true. Practically speaking, therefore, it’s untrue - even if by some infinitesimal probability it actually were true.

Anyway. it’s been a while since I read Nietzsche but I seem to remember the eternal recurrence as being just a thought experiment to both determine some kind of quality to your current life (are you some kind of “Higher Man”? etc.) and as something to make you think about how you would continue your life such that eternally living it over and over might become something of an appealing prospect if it wasn’t already… issues that I laid out in my previous paragraphs aside of course.

But regardless of whether my response merits your $50 it looks like you’re banned anyway, but feel free to read it eternally over and over if you do still happen to check out posts in this forum.

There are three main aspects: i[/i] Ewige Wiederkehr des Gleichen (eternal return of the same); i[/i] Übermensch; i[/i] Wille zur Macht (will to might/power).

neitche, in terms of eternal recurrence is a horrid narcissist of being healthier and less tormented than others … his entire philosophy revolves around life not getting worse for him than it already is, not minding lives much worse off.

The eternal recurrence is evil