Eating meat is good

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Jakob wrote:
This, on the other hand, is Moby Dick. The Odyssey.
I bow to you, great Literatrix.

Will you now put on them patches?


I would put on the patches, so I can attain a great peace of mind, so much so that my posts will attain a post quality such that would incur the envy of even the gods.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby URUZ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Jakob wrote:
This, on the other hand, is Moby Dick. The Odyssey.
I bow to you, great Literatrix.

Will you now put on them patches?


I would put on the patches, so I can attain a great peace of mind, so much so that my posts will attain a post quality such that would incur the envy of even the gods.


No, I have never envied you.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Blurry » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:57 pm

UrGod wrote:
Blurry wrote:
UrGod wrote:
But a human society that placed the value of a cow as equal to...the value of a human would be irrational...


Why?


Because a human society must put human value on top of the value hierarchy. That is what it means to be rational as a human society. It would make no sense for a society of beings to elevate as highest something else other than themselves and their own good -- such a society would simply degrade for lack of self-valuing consistency.

This is the historical struggle of human societies: they are attempting to learn how to posit humanity itself, its goods and its needs and its values, as the highest value. "Society" doesn't mean anything except this.

We eat, as all life eats. You are free to choose to eat meat or not, that is up to you, since we are omnivores. Or you can subsist entirely on Soylent if you prefer. But meat is very good for us, it nourishes us deeply. Both in body and in mind. Countering this for the sake of some weird morality of "eating life is bad!" makes no sense, because you are required to eat life in order to... live. Even plants have existence, life, self-value. It comes down to how you are able to value some other lifeform: in what ways does it present itself to you to be valued by you? I have asked here in this topic in what greater ways does a cow present itself to us to be valued other than as our meal? So far I have not received any answers to what question, which is not surprising since I do not think there are any answers to be found. As I said, if you value a specific cow as a pet for some specific reason, then you will not want to eat it, and that's just fine. But the cow on my plate was not my pet, was not my friend and did not present itself to be valued by me in any way other than to nourish me with its meat. That sounds harsh, sure, but that is how it works.

All life dies, and is ultimately eaten.. by other life. It is not a question of some silly moralizing of "it is bad that life must die!". Only cowards and religious moralists would feel that way. Anyone who feels this strong aversion to eating meat is a coward and/or a religious moralist. And cowardice and religious morality are stupid (un-philosophical). But most people cannot handle working with multiple levels of value and ranking them into a hierarchy, they can only make determinations in black and white, namely if one value is upheld then others must be rejected; this is the only way they are able to assert a single value, because they cannot deal with the contradictions between differing values-systems. And then they must find and follow a mere morality to stabilize this weakness of theirs into something livable, as a mode of life over time.

I fully acknowledge my respect for animal life, including for cows. Animals are alive, they self-value, they are sentient, they have thoughts and feelings. They do not want to suffer and die. These are all true statements. But what is forgotten is that there are no universal values, every value flows from a self-valuing, from a being itself who posits values to and for itself, in terms of itself. Religious moralists believe in universal values, therefore they are black and white thinkers who must state as Kant tried to do that if a value is good then it must be absolute-universal, and from this follows how they must reject any value that is at odds with whatever they think of as the universal value. In most cases the supposed universal value is "life is good" or "suffering/death is bad"; this is the position from which vegetarians and vegans come, although it is funny how they do not count plant life as being alive or as being able to suffer.

What do you think happens to a cell when it is damaged? It reacts. It tries to repair itself if possible, and if not possible then its components are violently torn apart and reconstituted by other cells -- the cell dies. Every cell, including plant cells, acts to remain alive and structurally stable. Why do you think cells have cell walls that are configured to only allow certain molecules in while rejecting others? Why do you think cells pump out their waste products? Oxygen is a waste product of plant cells. CO2 is a waste product of animal cells.

All values exist only because a specific being produces them, values them. No value exists in a vacuum without the valuer. So the only question is: what is your value, and why? If you feel emotionally damaged and fragile enough to be so bothered by the concept of eating meat, then your value will be as a vegetarian or vegan. That's perfectly fine, as your valuing. But such a valuing is by no means universal. It is not my own valuing, nor that of countless other humans not even to speak of all the carnivorous animals in nature who live only because they eat meat.


Thank you for this response. I asked "why" not to challenge you, but because I genuinely wanted to know your reasoning on the matter.

Personally, I am not a vegetarian, but I do value all forms of life. I value life, be it human or cow or insect or plant, because it is finite and full of possibility. I think that valuing the life of something you're going to eat is perfectly reasonable, and leads to an appreciation of what you're being given when you take that life.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
User avatar
Blurry
fuck
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby URUZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 am

Converting vegetarians:

EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Jakob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Jakob wrote:
This, on the other hand, is Moby Dick. The Odyssey.
I bow to you, great Literatrix.

Will you now put on them patches?


I would put on the patches, so I can attain a great peace of mind, so much so that my posts will attain a post quality such that would incur the envy of even the gods.

See thats what I like. Someone who is willing to work for it.
Image
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
User avatar
Jakob
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5903
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: look at my suit

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby URUZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Made a 1/3 pound burger, grass fed local fresh beef grilled to medium well over a fire with melted cheddar on top.

Yeah, that's what we call converting vegetarians.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:34 pm

UrGod wrote:Let's say there is a certain cow that I happen to care about for some reason, maybe it was given to me by someone I care about as a gift, or I raised it as a baby cow and have some sentimental attachment to it, like it were my pet. In that case it would be rational for me to refrain from eating it. I might choose not to eat it because I value it in other, greater ways than simply as my meal. But a cow that I have no attachment to I am only able to value as my meal. Unless someone is able to point out a way that cows present themselves to us as able to be valued more highly than this.

A steak on my plate is a pretty high value.


You might consider the quality of life that that cow whose meat you are about to partake in may have had at some point in time. Think of it as having grazed in green pastures and sometimes looking up at a beautiful blue sky. I have no idea what wonderful sense cows may experience in moments like this. But make her come alive to you. See the similarities lol between your life and her past life~~ that sense of enjoyment and qualia of being which both of you experienced.

Then she may become more to you than a piece of meat and you can be even more grateful and respectful for what you are about to partake in...namely ~~ her destiny and purpose being fulfilled through you.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15193
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Anomaly654 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm

The way I see it, if God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of delicious meat?
User avatar
Anomaly654
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Anomaly654 wrote:The way I see it, if God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of delicious meat?
:lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6980
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Pandora » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 am

I’m not against eating meat, but our anatomy suggests that our ideal diet is primarily plant-based. In any case I don’t expect us to grow out longer and sharper fangs and claws any time soon.

Image
User avatar
Pandora
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4136
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Ward 6

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 pm

UrGod wrote:We eat meat because that is how we value these animals that we eat. How else am I supposed to value a cow, other than as my meal?
You could keep one as a pet, which you argue later gives them a higher value.

A cow is a sentient living being, and I respect that, but that respect does not immediately translate into valuing.
Not for you and not for some Chinese when evaluating dogs.

And a cow does not exactly present itself as a repository of potential values to me, other than as my meal.
Most people do not present much value to me, but I don't eat them and would refuse to. Am I confused?

It would be impossible to expand the spheres of our valuing to include the whole world, this is why we care more about people we know than people we do not know, and this is perfectly rational to do. It is simply a limit in how we are made, how valuing works. And consciousness is based on valuing. We actually are able to care about what/who we actually.... care about. It's basic stuff, but many people do not even understand this.

Analytic, positivistic, and utilitarian "philosophies" are braincancers that do not even understand these most basic facts. They would pretend that it is "moral" to value everything equally, or at least value everything highly regardless of whether or not that thing actually is valuable to us in that way.
AGain most people are not valuable to you. Would you have only practical objects to nuking Madagascar?

Values are ordered into hierarchies. It is irrational to ignore a higher-order value for a lesser-order value. If cows were able to be valued by us on a higher level than as our meal, then we would value them like that. But they aren't. So the fact that the cow is alive and doesn't want to die and doesn't want to suffer isn't much relevant to us, even though we know those are highly relevant to the cow.
We do not eat our pets because our pets are able to be valued by us on much higher, more derivative levels than simply as our meal. Pets give us more,
Me personally, I would get more out of a pet cow, if I had land, than a pet cat. The cows eat grass, are really quite friendly, are less selfish than cats, do not kill songbirds, do not cause allergies, do not carry parasites that cause a lot of neurological issues, often in people who never diagnose this and are more loyal. That's me of course, but you are projecting what you value onto the pets you consider pets, following the culture you likely grew up in.

Given what you have said above you have facets of utilitarianism, because you universalize your values to include all individuals of categories.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

UrGod has become obsessed with the word "value'. The negative influence of Fixed Cross. He also has this irrational disdain for analytic, positivistic and utilitarian philosophies.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3698
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
UrGod wrote:We eat meat because that is how we value these animals that we eat. How else am I supposed to value a cow, other than as my meal?
You could keep one as a pet, which you argue later gives them a higher value.

A cow is a sentient living being, and I respect that, but that respect does not immediately translate into valuing.
Not for you and not for some Chinese when evaluating dogs.

And a cow does not exactly present itself as a repository of potential values to me, other than as my meal.
Most people do not present much value to me, but I don't eat them and would refuse to. Am I confused?

It would be impossible to expand the spheres of our valuing to include the whole world, this is why we care more about people we know than people we do not know, and this is perfectly rational to do. It is simply a limit in how we are made, how valuing works. And consciousness is based on valuing. We actually are able to care about what/who we actually.... care about. It's basic stuff, but many people do not even understand this.

Analytic, positivistic, and utilitarian "philosophies" are braincancers that do not even understand these most basic facts. They would pretend that it is "moral" to value everything equally, or at least value everything highly regardless of whether or not that thing actually is valuable to us in that way.
AGain most people are not valuable to you. Would you have only practical objects to nuking Madagascar?

Values are ordered into hierarchies. It is irrational to ignore a higher-order value for a lesser-order value. If cows were able to be valued by us on a higher level than as our meal, then we would value them like that. But they aren't. So the fact that the cow is alive and doesn't want to die and doesn't want to suffer isn't much relevant to us, even though we know those are highly relevant to the cow.
We do not eat our pets because our pets are able to be valued by us on much higher, more derivative levels than simply as our meal. Pets give us more,
Me personally, I would get more out of a pet cow, if I had land, than a pet cat. The cows eat grass, are really quite friendly, are less selfish than cats, do not kill songbirds, do not cause allergies, do not carry parasites that cause a lot of neurological issues, often in people who never diagnose this and are more loyal. That's me of course, but you are projecting what you value onto the pets you consider pets, following the culture you likely grew up in.

Given what you have said above you have facets of utilitarianism, because you universalize your values to include all individuals of categories.


I think you are slipping around the general point, that a cow does have value to the OP, be it as meat.
It does not follow from estimating a cow as valuable food, that a human who has no personal value, is also valuable as food.

Your preferences for cows over cats are generally due to what a cow does not do, and is not. People who actually have pets prefer the pet because of what it is, and does do. I thus think that you don't actually mean what you say, wheres the OP clearly does.
Thunderbolt steers all things.
http://beforethelight.forumotion.com - Tree of Life Academy
Image
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 7514
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby URUZ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

I was going to reply, but yeah, that ^
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

UrGod wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:You can value a cow as more than a meal.


How?

What way can I value a cow more than I value it as my meal?


Remember her as someone's mother.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15193
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
I think you are slipping around the general point, that a cow does have value to the OP, be it as meat.
It does not follow from estimating a cow as valuable food, that a human who has no personal value, is also valuable as food.
He distinguished the usual pets from cows as if they represented inherent values, they don't.

Your preferences for cows over cats are generally due to what a cow does not do, and is not.
It may have seemed that way, but no, I prefer cows because they are less solipsistic, less manipulative. Cats are users.

People who actually have pets prefer the pet because of what it is, and does do.
Sure. Though they could easily have cows as pets and surely some do.

I thus think that you don't actually mean what you say, wheres the OP clearly does.
I meant what I said and I think the OP needed, at the very least, some clarification.

I think the key question his valuing approach is the one I asked about Madagascar. I think it is easy to pretend one is not utilitarian nor a deontologist in abstract discussions of animals - for some anyway - but once you get down to issues like the one I brought up, I doubt he means what he says, though he likely very well does in relation to cows. I don't think he has really thought it through. Or better put, felt it through.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Gloominary » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 am

eating meat is good, more nutritious than fruits and vegetables.
However I've decided to take a bit of a break from it, especially red meat.
I ate a lot of meat the last several years, and I think it's kind of wearing my digestion down.
Still giong to eat some every other night, but smaller portions.
User avatar
Gloominary
Thinker
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Dislocated

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Gloominary wrote:eating meat is good, more nutritious than fruits and vegetables.

I eat meat also, but this above is a bit like saying push ups are better exercise than swimming.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker
 
Posts: 675
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Gloominary

....eating meat is good, more nutritious than fruits and vegetables.


Fruit and vegetables are actually more nutritious and need to be eaten everyday ~ a few servings of each every day.
Meat, to you, is more delicious. We do need it in our diets but only a few times a week.
A big bowl of fruit and/or vegetables have a lot less calories and no fat as opposed to a small piece of steak. Size is deceiving.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15193
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Gloominary » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Pandora wrote:I’m not against eating meat, but our anatomy suggests that our ideal diet is primarily plant-based. In any case I don’t expect us to grow out longer and sharper fangs and claws any time soon.

Image

This looks like propaganda to me, here's what chimp, our closest living relatives, mouths looks like:

Image

They have large fangs, and molars, suggesting they're omnivores like bears.

From google:

Although the chimpanzees mostly eat fruit, they also regularly hunt for meat. Their main prey are red colobus monkeys. Between 1995 and 2014, Watts and Mitani observed 556 hunts, 356 of which targeted red colobus. These hunts were very successful: 912 colobus were killed, an average of 3 per hunt.


While humans have small fangs, we do have them.
Did our fangs become small because we started eating more fruits, vegetables and nuts than meat, or did they become small for other reasons, like our jaws becoming smaller and flatter, because we started using weapons to help us hunt, utensils to tear up carcasses, and fire to cook, and help tenderize carcasses?
I think the latter is the case, our jaws are smaller and flatter, and when you study our ancestors, tens of thousands of years ago, they had spears, knives, fire and they hunted, and so do primitive peoples today.
There isn't a tribe on earth that doesn't at least occasionally consume meat, in fact they'd die if they didn't, because omnivores like us can't get every nutrient we need from plants, and tribes frequently eat it whenever they have access to it.
Last edited by Gloominary on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Gloominary
Thinker
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Dislocated

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby URUZ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Kek
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Serendipper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 am

Where do vegans get vitamin D, A, K2, and B12?

Hunting, cooking, and eating meat is what allowed the development of our brains and the amount of time humans have been eating meat probably explains why we're reliant on meat for those vitamins.

FWD to 27:00

Serendipper
Thinker
 
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Zero_Sum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 am

Eating meat is good, that's what she said.... 8)
The temple mount will be rebuilt in Jerusalem and all the nations of the world will be ruled from there. All races, cultures, leaders, and nations will come to bow before the new messiah yet to come. All will come to know the chosen of God who refer themselves as Jews. For every Jew there will be a thousand goyim that will be their slaves as it was ordained by God. Every man, woman, and child will convert to Zionism.
User avatar
Zero_Sum
New World Order Enthusiast
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm
Location: United States- Greater Israel

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 am

UrGod wrote:Kek


People who type things like this are spending too much time on the internet. Go outside man. Find a nice girl of another race and bang her.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25298
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Eating meat is good

Postby Zero_Sum » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:
UrGod wrote:Kek


People who type things like this are spending too much time on the internet. Go outside man. Find a nice girl of another race and bang her.

Of another race? Where did you get that from? :-k
The temple mount will be rebuilt in Jerusalem and all the nations of the world will be ruled from there. All races, cultures, leaders, and nations will come to bow before the new messiah yet to come. All will come to know the chosen of God who refer themselves as Jews. For every Jew there will be a thousand goyim that will be their slaves as it was ordained by God. Every man, woman, and child will convert to Zionism.
User avatar
Zero_Sum
New World Order Enthusiast
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm
Location: United States- Greater Israel

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users