Does one need education in order to be an intellect?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Does one need education in order to be an intellect?

Postby stellamonika » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm

These days, I think that the schools are intended to damage the intelligence of people. I have a fundamental question: does one need education in order to be an intellect?
stellamonika

Re: Does one need education in order to be an intellect?

Postby phyllo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 pm

No, but it sure helps.

And there is also a difference between self-education, informal education and formal education.

Formal education = you go to into a system of schools to learn

Informal education = you go to a 'master' who helps you and guides you

Self-education = you do it on your own using books, personal observations, ad-hoc experiments

Realistically, one has to use all three forms of education.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby surreptitious75 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:56 pm

One can be educated and non intellectual or non educated and intellectual and so one does
not need education to be an intellectual although most intellectuals are probably educated
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby Arminius » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:02 pm

stellamonika wrote:These days, I think that the schools are intended to damage the intelligence of people.

You are right.

Two points are important here:

(1) Schools as an institution of a state do what the government wants them to do.
(2) If the economic and - in particular (!) - the demographic situation is like the one we have in our western countries, then the average intelligence decreases and even a teacher who does not go along with the mainstream has to damage the intelligence, otherwise the colleagues will punish this teacher by mobbing and firing.

stellamonika wrote:I have a fundamental question: does one need education in order to be an intellect?

I would like to answer the question whether one needs education.

This answer depends on whether one means (A) the education as such or (B) the school education which is basically a state education.

(A) If the education as such is meant, then: yes, one needs education.
(B) If the school education which is basically a state education is meant, then: yes (Ba) and no (Bb).
    (Ba) Yes because of those who are genetically less intelligent and can use the school education as a chance to become more intelligent.
    (Bb) No because of a situation like the described one (=> 2).
Last edited by Arminius on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:09 pm

By the way, Stellamonika, may I ask you a question?

If yes: Do you really live in Tiruchirappalli?

Tiruchirappalli is on the one side of the Kaveri River and the temple town Srirangam on the other. Both are certainly interesting places. I should visit them. :)
Last edited by Arminius on Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, one needs an education to be intellectual, but not a computer programmed education where the computer does one's thinking for them, especially in school systems.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby stellamonika » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Arminius wrote:By the way, Stellamonika, may I ask you a question?

Tiruchirappalli is on the one side of the Kaveri River and the temple town Srirangam on the other. Both are certainly interesting places. I should visit them. :)

Yes, I am from Tiruchirappalli and I live Tiruchirappalli, Chinthamani. My name is not stellamonika. I just used it as screen name. You are most welcome to Tiruchirappalli. I invite you to be in Trichy. My real name is sivashanmugam. just dial +919444499818 before coming here. I will pick you up.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Tiruchira ... ashanmugam
stellamonika

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:36 pm

So sweet. :P Send me a postcard Arminius.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Arminius » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 am

stellamonika wrote:
Arminius wrote:By the way, Stellamonika, may I ask you a question?

Yes, I am from Tiruchirappalli and I live Tiruchirappalli, Chinthamani. My name is not stellamonika. I just used it as screen name. You are most welcome to Tiruchirappalli. I invite you to be in Trichy. My real name is sivashanmugam. just dial +919444499818 before coming here. I will pick you up.
https://www.quora.com/profile/Tiruchira ... ashanmugam

Great. Thank you, Stellamonika. That is very kind of you. :)

In a few hours I am going to start spending my holidays in Spain (9/27-10/11). So, first of all, I have to wait till the next holidays (in the full sense of that word).

WendyDarling wrote:So sweet. :P

:lol:

WendyDarling wrote:Send me a postcard Arminius.

In that case, I need your postal address, Wendy Darling. You may send it to me via private message. Thank you.

Now, I am preparing for my current holidays in Spain. Do you want me to send you a postcard from Spain too?

Or is Spain too uncool? 8)
Arminius
ILP Legend

Return to Philosophy