Causastion

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Causastion

Postby Faust » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Everyone believes in causation. We look for causes and we find them. And it doesn't always matter if we find all of them. For most important events, we find a search for all cases tiresome and unnecessary. It is unnecessary, of course.

But when we philosophize, when we examine a moral code, when we take a long hard look at science, when we try to understand life as a whole, we assume that our notion of causation is approximately correct for everything, for the universe on every scale. Which may not be entirely correct. We can abstract systems from particulars because all those particulars are observable. Abstracting beyond systems leads straight to God.

But is it the right God? Cannot a god allow for randomness, or a causative scheme that we can never know?

Causation doesn't prove God. It defines God for many. Presumably a god that wishes to be defined.

This is why mystics stop talking. They are looking for the real god.
User avatar
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom
 
Posts: 16663
Joined: Sat May 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby WendyDarling » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Faust wrote:Everyone believes in causation. We look for causes and we find them. And it doesn't always matter if we find all of them. For most important events, we find a search for all cases tiresome and unnecessary. It is unnecessary, of course.

But when we philosophize, when we examine a moral code, when we take a long hard look at science, when we try to understand life as a whole, we assume that our notion of causation is approximately correct for everything, for the universe on every scale. Which may not be entirely correct. We can abstract systems from particulars because all those particulars are observable. Abstracting beyond systems leads straight to God.

But is it the right God? Cannot a god allow for randomness, or a causative scheme that we can never know?

Causation doesn't prove God. It defines God for many. Presumably a god that wishes to be defined.

This is why mystics stop talking. They are looking for the real god.

Yes, to us it would appear as random until it reaches our realm of perception and no, we can't out think God.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5965
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Causastion

Postby Dan~ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Gods, prayers, animal sacrifices, etc. Was part of our dispare. Long ago we had less, but we still had big needs and big problems.

Now instead of praying, i can have a surgen remove a big stomach tumor.
God in christian terms is very inconsistent and unpredictable.
But if you had basically nothing, God would be something, and thus you may feel a bit of fulfillment from that god figure.

Meanwhile, medicine and science has done more for me than a god.
It would be nice to have a good god, really, but atheists just aren't seeing it.
I don't see it either, even though i wish it was.

People caused and saved my life.
No direct God stuff at all.

Most humans in history were poor and science-less.
They had ideas on the origin of life, and the nature of reality.
But without science they were bound to fail.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9733
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Causastion

Postby Dan~ » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 pm

The world in which we live is an expression of human nature, not an expression of pure truth.
People who want pure truth seem to be kinda crazy to me.
Cause is considered a law of truth, not a law of human perception, by most.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9733
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Causastion

Postby demoralized » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 am

Faust wrote:\
But is it the right God? Cannot a god allow for randomness, or a causative scheme that we can never know?

Causation doesn't prove God. It defines God for many. Presumably a god that wishes to be defined.

This is why mystics stop talking. They are looking for the real god.


I have experienced miracles

A right God? An all powerful God could reconcile the ideas of One God and many Gods. (I do not intend to imply what can and would be done, only what is conceivable given omnipotence)

A God that wishes to be defined? The definition of God from others has both served me gotten in my way (obstructed, for lack of a better word).

I will dare to say that when it comes to God, I think people are unwittingly committed to their innocence (How they learned of God).
formerly incorrect
formally
demoralized
Thinker
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Causastion

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I hoped this was a serious topic on the nature of causality.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Serendipper » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Alan Watts put forth the idea that future events can cause past events.

One way is to say "The bark of the tree/dog...." The present meaning of "bark" is caused by a future event.

Another example is babies (future) are the cause of sex (present). Groceries (future) are the cause of you now starting to get into your car.

You guys can have fun tearing his arguments to shreds. I just thought it was an interesting idea to consider.
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." Howard Aiken
Serendipper
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:I hoped this was a serious topic on the nature of causality.

It must be frustrating to be so helpless.
Before the Light - Mercilesss - Strength

Image

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Causastion

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Serendipper

Alan Watts put forth the idea that future events can cause past events.





One way is to say "The bark of the tree/dog...." The present meaning of "bark" is caused by a future event.


Could you really say that in this case? The present meaning of *bark* would be caused by an event happening in the NOW. For instance, the dog barks because the thief takes the woman's purse. It's almost simultaneous. Hmmm... lol Isn't it as simple as cause and effect?


Another example is babies (future) are the cause of sex (present). Groceries (future) are the cause of you now starting to get into your car.


But isn't that putting too much meaning on things? One can just as easily say that the sex or its purpose is the cause of the baby.
The same with the groceries.

It all just depends on how someone looks at it. Saying that future events cause present events is almost like saying we have no free will and no conscious thought of Now...that the future which hasn't happened yet is more powerful and influential than what we do in the here and now. That's not to say that the having of babies in the future is not a powerful reason to have sex in the Here and Now.


But which came first? Maybe this is getting a bit convoluted. lol But it is interesting.

I suppose that it is possible to see it in those two different ways. Maybe it's more about actually being able to look at something in two different ways, looking a little more deeply.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14780
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Causastion

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 am

The future event of Christmas may cause the present event of a person buying a present.

Groundbreaking.
Before the Light - Mercilesss - Strength

Image

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 6666
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am

Re: Causastion

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:56 am

It isn't the future event, but the current belief in the event.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25239
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Serendipper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:Could you really say that in this case? The present meaning of *bark* would be caused by an event happening in the NOW. For instance, the dog barks because the thief takes the woman's purse. It's almost simultaneous. Hmmm... lol Isn't it as simple as cause and effect?


Fixed Cross wrote:The future event of Christmas may cause the present event of a person buying a present.


James S Saint wrote:It isn't the future event, but the current belief in the event.


I just spent the past hour combing through videos to find where he said that and all I can find is this:

Start at 10:00



And then some text from here https://beingsakin.wordpress.com/tag/alan-watts/page/2/

Now another interesting thing about this is that I can show you how the present changes the past. Let’s take for example the order of words. Now words are strung out in a line just like we think events in time are strung out in a line and I can change a past word by a future word. If I say (taking a line from the poet Thomas Hood), “They went and told the sexton, and the sexton tolled the bell.” You don’t know what the first told means until you get the sexton; you don’t know what the second tolled means until you get to the word bell. And so the later event changes the meaning of the former. Or you can say for example, “The bark of the tree,” and the word bark has a certain meaning. Then I say, “The bark of the dog,” and the later word has changed the meaning of the former one.

And so, in this way, when we write history we find that writing history is really an art. The historian keeps putting a fresh interpretation on past events and in that sense he is changing it. He is changing their meaning just like we were changing the meaning of a former word by a later word by saying, “They went and told the sexton and the sexton tolled the bell.”

In this way you can experience a curious liberation from what the Hindus and the Buddhists call karma. The word karma in Sanskrit actually means doing, action. Karma comes from the root kri which simply means to do. When something happens to me, an accident or an illness, a Buddhist or a Hindu will say, “Well, it was your karma.” In other words, you had done something in the past and you reap the unfortunate consequence in a later time. Now that’s not the real meaning of karma. Karma does not mean cause and effect. It simply means doing. In other words, you are doing what is happening to you. And that, of course, depends upon how you define the word you. For example, consider breathing; am I doing it or is it happening to me? I am growing my hair; am I doing it or is it happening to me? You can look at it either way. I am being sick, or I am being destroyed in an accident – if I define myself as the whole field of events, the organism-environment field which is the real me, then all the things that happen to me may be called my doing. And that is the real sense of karma.


I'll keep looking and when I find the video about the babies and bark of the dog/tree, I'll post it here.

Alan is pretty sharp. If you don't know who he is, check him out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." Howard Aiken
Serendipper
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:The future event of Christmas may cause the present event of a person buying a present.

Groundbreaking.


lol
But that is true, yes?

Like i said, I think that quote is more about being able to see something in more than one way ~~ or at least about thinking out of the usual box. That was redundant, wasn't it?
Don't we humans often prefer to see things ONLY in one way?
Didn't Freddie say something to the effect of looking at something from all different angles ~~ up and down, sideways, inside and out? I as paraphrasing, of course.

I am sure that this is the way in which you normally look at things being the philosopher which you are. Me, usually not, so it is a good thing when something makes us think more and differently.

A good friend of mine in here once told me that it is a good thing to be able to hold two totally dissimilar thoughts in one's mind at the same time and examine them. I agree as I am sure you do.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14780
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Causastion

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Serendipper wrote:I'll keep looking and when I find the video about the babies and bark of the dog/tree, I'll post it here.

Alan is pretty sharp. If you don't know who he is, check him out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts

I already heard that one. But I hear too many errors in thought from Watts; He got the "one-hand" koan incorrectly, his "Bark of the dog" causation example is misguided, ... Sorry to say, but I'm not impressed with him.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25239
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 pm

I would think that, "Continuation," would be more appropriate for some people of Religion than, "Causation." That's not true of all of them, of course, but in the view of some we are just turning pages in a book that has already been written.

Maybe not even a religious imperative, I suppose it could also be, "Continuation," depending on one's view of time.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Causastion

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:I would think that, "Continuation," would be more appropriate for some people of Religion than, "Causation." That's not true of all of them, of course, but in the view of some we are just turning pages in a book that has already been written.

Maybe not even a religious imperative, I suppose it could also be, "Continuation," depending on one's view of time.


:banana-explosion: :banana-explosion: :banana-explosion:
I recall that you always hated this dancing banana.
But hello there. It is so good to see you (in a manner of speaking) in here.

I thought that you might have gone to some parallel universe or something.

Welcome back for as long as you are staying, Pav.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14780
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Causastion

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:53 pm

PavlovianModel146 wrote:I would think that, "Continuation," would be more appropriate for some people of Religion than, "Causation." That's not true of all of them, of course, but in the view of some we are just turning pages in a book that has already been written.

There is a slight distinction in the two. A continuance doesn't imply cause, it merely infers that there probably is cause.

The simple fact is that "causation", in a sense, is the make of the physical universe. If the universe was not made of causation, time would not exist and you would not be here to discuss it. Time, causality, change, physicality, affectance (affect-upon-affect) are all virtually the same thing and the very fundamental make of you and your universe. Everything else in the physical universe is merely the emergent aberrance.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25239
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:11 pm

What causes something else, except, the "Prime Mover"?

If you can't tell me what/who causes something, then you can't really say much about causation at all.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:What causes something else, except, the "Prime Mover"?

If you can't tell me what/who causes something, then you can't really say much about causation at all.


Are you speaking about God here? Or energy?

Wouldn't that depend on what you're speaking about?
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14780
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Causastion

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:What causes something else, except, the "Prime Mover"?

If you can't tell me what/who causes something, then you can't really say much about causation at all.

The word and use of "cause" has two distinct meanings; cause as in "why or what led to what" and cause as is "the reason, justification, or logic". People rarely distinguish those very different meanings.

The "Prime Mover" is the second of the kind of causes. The "Prime Mover" is the Fundamental Principle (the Logic behind the event). The Prime Mover has never been a physical causation, else would, by definition be a physical entity. The Prime Mover was never a physical entity, but rather a "divine"/"ideal"/"conceptual" entity.

So the actual Prime Mover "causes" in the sense that the Prime Mover is the REASON that the universe exists, the Logic behind the actuality.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25239
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:46 pm

People believe and put faith in the ideal that a person, or animal, or thing, or object causes something, an event, a chain of events, to happen. A pebble rolls down a cliff and causes an avalanche. But what caused the pebble to loosen and roll?

People quickly become lost in infinite chains of causes/event. These are called "causal chains" or "vibrations of string theory, energy". Things cause other things. Events cause other events. When people become lost, or refuse to keep searching, for original causes, then they believe that "things happen randomly" or without cause, which is false. Rather it's more obvious that human reasoning and intellect is limited.

Just because you cannot see nor pinpoint the cause of something, of an event, of human interaction, does not mean there was no cause. It's more sensible and logical that some causes slip under the radar of human perception and consciousness.


In other words, despite the top 1% of human intellect, the best of humanity, the best philosophies of all time, many causes and chains still go unnoticed. The human intellect keeps progressing, and making some discoveries, revealing some chains previously unknown, however, there is always something smaller, more distant, to become aware of.

Perhaps something happend, in the year 1527 AD, that led to your current circumstance today. You're not aware of it. Your ancestors and ancestry is lost in time. But your great-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather made a decision. He chose this, instead of that. And that is why you are, as you are today. Because the cause has been lost/forgotten in time. Lost to you, to humanity, to history, to records, but not lost in existence.

Existence is greater than human knowledge and reason. There are infinite casual-chains. And so, despite the best efforts of humanity, cannot know everything omnisciently. Instead humans can search and discover, with great effort, a small aspect of the questions and mysteries that dominate right now. Some issues, or questions, are more pressing than others. Thus people search for the causation of particular interests.


Causality, and Existence, is like a great universal maze, without beginning nor end, yet humans are still stuck within, never free, but always trapped and enslaved to paths, turns, twists, loops, circles, and few gain the skill and memory to properly traverse the maze of life. But, some answers can become known. You become familiar with a small sub-section of the maze. What you call "privacy", your "home", your limited knowledge of existence. People cling to a few corners of the Great Maze.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
:banana-explosion: :banana-explosion: :banana-explosion:
I recall that you always hated this dancing banana.
But hello there. It is so good to see you (in a manner of speaking) in here.

I thought that you might have gone to some parallel universe or something.

Welcome back for as long as you are staying, Pav.


The banana is just fine, pleasure to see you again is all mine! That goes for everyone here, as well. I'll hopefully pop in more often, I need to stop treating this like the town I grew up in. You go there every now and then just to not really think of it for some timee.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Causastion

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm

James S Saint wrote:There is a slight distinction in the two. A continuance doesn't imply cause, it merely infers that there probably is cause.

The simple fact is that "causation", in a sense, is the make of the physical universe. If the universe was not made of causation, time would not exist and you would not be here to discuss it. Time, causality, change, physicality, affectance (affect-upon-affect) are all virtually the same thing and the very fundamental make of you and your universe. Everything else in the physical universe is merely the emergent aberrance.


I think that a key difference for the purposes of this discussion is that continuance and direct causation can be known even without language. That said, I don't know that any notion of, "First cause," could be achieved without language. From a practical standpoint, "First Cause," shouldn't even matter as it does not change the situation at hand. Direct Cause does.

Imagine existence without language: You would see people grow older and die, then you would yourself notice that you are growing older. You would understand that your life is a continuance without even needing the word. In that sense, I consider the notion of continuance to be naturally-occurring in even the most primal sense.

Also, causation is a concept not a physical anything. That being the case, nothing can be, "Made," of causation.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

Image
User avatar
PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell
 
Posts: 7084
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:56 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Causastion

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:People believe and put faith in the ideal that a person, or animal, or thing, or object causes something, an event, a chain of events, to happen.

Which is why the Chinese refer to the Abramic religions as "ligament" (holding the mindless masses and muscle to the bone of Man).

Urwrongx1000 wrote:A pebble rolls down a cliff and causes an avalanche. But what caused the pebble to loosen and roll?

People quickly become lost in infinite chains of causes/event. These are called "causal chains" or "vibrations of string theory, energy". Things cause other things. Events cause other events. When people become lost, or refuse to keep searching, for original causes, then they believe that "things happen randomly" or without cause, which is false. Rather it's more obvious that human reasoning and intellect is limited.

Just because you cannot see nor pinpoint the cause of something, of an event, of human interaction, does not mean there was no cause. It's more sensible and logical that some causes slip under the radar of human perception and consciousness.


In other words, despite the top 1% of human intellect, the best of humanity, the best philosophies of all time, many causes and chains still go unnoticed. The human intellect keeps progressing, and making some discoveries, revealing some chains previously unknown, however, there is always something smaller, more distant, to become aware of.

Perhaps something happend, in the year 1527 AD, that led to your current circumstance today. You're not aware of it. Your ancestors and ancestry is lost in time. But your great-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandfather made a decision. He chose this, instead of that. And that is why you are, as you are today. Because the cause has been lost/forgotten in time. Lost to you, to humanity, to history, to records, but not lost in existence.

Existence is greater than human knowledge and reason. There are infinite casual-chains. And so, despite the best efforts of humanity, cannot know everything omnisciently. Instead humans can search and discover, with great effort, a small aspect of the questions and mysteries that dominate right now. Some issues, or questions, are more pressing than others. Thus people search for the causation of particular interests.


Causality, and Existence, is like a great universal maze, without beginning nor end, yet humans are still stuck within, never free, but always trapped and enslaved to paths, turns, twists, loops, circles, and few gain the skill and memory to properly traverse the maze of life. But, some answers can become known. You become familiar with a small sub-section of the maze. What you call "privacy", your "home", your limited knowledge of existence. People cling to a few corners of the Great Maze.

Precisely .. Urwright. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25239
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Causastion

Postby Magnus Anderson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 pm

Urwrong wrote:Just because you cannot see nor pinpoint the cause of something, of an event, of human interaction, does not mean there was no cause. It's more sensible and logical that some causes slip under the radar of human perception and consciousness.


Just because you cannot see nor pinpoint God does not mean that there is no God. It's more "sensible" and "logical" that God slips under the radar of human perception and consciousness.

Rather than believing blindly, without evidence, in the existence of causes (and magical entities such as God) it's better to ground your beliefs in reality, which is to say, in your prior observations.
Otherwise, you can never be proven wrong. You are right no matter what you say. You are right because you say you are right.

If your prior observations suggest that some event does not have a cause then it's only natural to conclude that it has no cause.
It does not matter that it's possible that you're wrong.
Because it's possible that you're wrong about EVERYTHING.
And it does not matter that you WANT there to be a cause.
What we want to be the case is not necessarily what is the case.

There is no evidence that God exists.
But if we keep searching for it we will find it one day.
It's important to be an optimist.
Don't be a pessimist.
You need to keep the hope.
Just keep searching and one day you'll find it.
And noone can prove you wrong.
Because no matter how much evidence there is against the idea that God exists there is still more evidence to be found in the future.
So it's still possible that God exists.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3375
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Next

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], surreptitious75