Amateur Nihilism

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

WendyDarling wrote:One of God's mercies may be the memory wipe upon rebirth which only seems a rebirth since the memory wipe took effect.

Now back to your regularly programmed Nihilism rigmarole (back on topic people...geez!).

Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:51 pm

You can give meaning to your own life but still be a nihilist if you think death is all that follows it because it can make it all seem completely
pointless. The way round this is to not think that life has to be eternal in order to have meaning. It simply means that meaning is subjective
But in any case we have no God given right to expect the universe to make us immortal in order to give objective meaning to our existence
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:17 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:So to find out that you will not actually perish, only your human form, meaning you are an eternal conscious being, would that knowledge change a Nihilists mind or reaffirm that it matters not for I have no choice but to endure indefinitely?

Believing in immortality is nihilistic.

Believing that you have one life, no after-life, and you take nothing beyond death, is the opposite of nihilism.

People become nihilistic when they want to 'escape' life, or simply responsibilities in general. People want to pass the blame and causation of existence onto other people, places, things, gods. Hence the main cause for belief in god, is a scape-goat mechanism. "God" is to blame for everything (bad). That's how the average nihilistic thinks and perceives existence.

I believe in God but I don't blame Him for everything for without bad you would not know what is good. Then being ready for death in old age is nihilistic? Old people want to escape the reality of life being harder for old people. You mean pass the blame and causation onto other things unnecessarily when its not true to escape personal consequences and responsibilities.

What if we are eternal conscious beings (one life that never ends) and physical death only seems final, but its actually a transition of continued existence (not an afterlife for your consciousness was already living)?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Otto_West » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:28 am

iambiguous wrote:Nihilism as explained by serious philosophers and Kids?

Personally, I don't have access to the argument able to establish once and for all What Nihilism Is. Let alone the extent to which any particular take on it is or is not said to be "amateurish".

Instead, my own interest here revolves more around engaging those who do claim to possess this knowledge.

And then taking the "philosophical" argument out into the world where all of us struggle to come to grips with, among other things, this: How ought one to live?

In a particular context with regard to particular behaviors in which different individuals insist that others ought to live as they do.

What then is the role that a more or less "academic", "general description" assessment of nihilism plays?

Towards that end, I propose this:

1] we pick a moral/political issue that we are all familiar with
2] we note our own moral/political narrative regarding it
3] we note how this narrative either is or is not rooted in how I have come to construe -- down here -- the meaning of nihilism: embedded existentially in the manner in which I have come to understand the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy out in the world of conflicting human behaviors

Anyone here care to go there?

Depends, what would you be arguing for and against? You're too much of a neutralist from my observations.
Your entire world of fantasy and make believe is doomed, have a nice day.
User avatar
Otto_West
Doom Pornographer
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Dumbfuckistan- Will Work For Depreciating (FRN) Shekels.

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Otto_West » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 am

WendyDarling wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:I don't even understand how it can be a position, but the many differing definitions definitely don't help.


Well, if, in your interactions with others, interactions that revolved around conflicting moral and political narratives, you were entangled in this...

If I am always of the opinion that 1] my own values are rooted in dasein and 2] that there are no objective values "I" can reach, then every time I make one particular moral/political leap, I am admitting that I might have gone in the other direction...or that I might just as well have gone in the other direction. Then "I" begins to fracture and fragment to the point there is nothing able to actually keep it all together. At least not with respect to choosing sides morally and politically.

...nihilism would become less a position than a frame of mind that stymies you. In other words, for folks like me, nihilism renders the following assumptions entirely problematic.

1] there is a "real me" that transcends contingency, chance and change
2] this "real me" is in sync with one or another understanding of "virtue"
3] "virtue" is embedded in one or another rendition of God, Humanism, ideology, nature.

Then who or what are nihilistic folks, automatons without a purpose?


People who understand the world or universe is without any kind of objective purpose that subjectively create their own prefered purpose for themselves.

The right objectifies purpose one way and the left another but nihilists unlike both groups of people understand what the illusion really is of this perceived objectivism.

Both the left and right politically are objectivists even when both are in disagreement with each other as to what exactly it is. Both interpret objectivism differently but nonetheless both groups are objectivists. Incidentally both the left and right calls anybody that disagrees with them nihilists as a negative connotation. It's because both groups fear what the knowledge of nihilism really entails. What nihilism entails simply is doubt, skepticism, and the unknown with the lack of absolute certainty. Both the left and the right don't like this because they're all about certainty on every given issue.
Your entire world of fantasy and make believe is doomed, have a nice day.
User avatar
Otto_West
Doom Pornographer
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Dumbfuckistan- Will Work For Depreciating (FRN) Shekels.

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Otto_West » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:58 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
Otto_West wrote:What would the point be? You're one of Satyr's lackeys and even he has a misconstrued notion of what nihilism even is. Like him you think nihilism is the post-modern equivalent of the boogeyman for all the world's problems.

Incidentally have you had any knowledge or understanding of nihilism you would understand that it is incompatible with liberalism. The real foundation of liberalism, egalitarianism, and communism is actually humanism not nihilism. Nihilism is anti humanism by the way.

Just as I thought, you have insinuations and hints that you know what you're talking about, but can't provide nor defend anything. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. And you're wrong about humanism. Humanism is nihilistic because it is the annulment (annihilation) of the individual, absorbed by the whole, the mass, the herd. Humanism is the sacrifice of the individual, so yes, that is nihilistic.

When people bury their heads in the sand, to ignore reality, to huddle into a tight herd, these are nihilistic tendencies.


Nihilism is very individualist you twit. You politicized twats are the epitome of herd psychology, the right wants their conservative collectivist driven herd and the left wants its communist collectivist driven herd. Try pulling Satyr out of your ass for once and learn something.

You all claim to be masters of reality but in the end you are masters of nothing.
Your entire world of fantasy and make believe is doomed, have a nice day.
User avatar
Otto_West
Doom Pornographer
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Dumbfuckistan- Will Work For Depreciating (FRN) Shekels.

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Otto_West » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:Nihilism is not for me a denial of reality only the notion that said reality has an objective raison d etre. The universe exists simply because it can. End of. So every
other explanation is superfluous from that point on. Regarding humans in this scenario you born you live you die in that order. After that brief existence you are in
a state of non consciousness till the end of time and beyond. Nothing matters in the grand scheme of things only in the here and now. You can accept it or you can
deny it. I prefer to accept it simply because it is true or at least true for me and it does not bother me at all. Nor should it for death [ again at least for me ] is the
end of all suffering so I have no reason to be afraid of it. Even more so as I cannot actually experience it so any fear would be entirely irrational. And that is what I
mean by nihilism and why I choose to describe myself in such terms

This is too simplistic though. Nihilism has much more depth than you describe. People create meaning, in life. It's a matter of faith and hopefulness (positive idealism).

There's nothing wrong or nihilistic about making an ideal real. To turn the ideal, into the real, that is symbolic of power in life. Somebody who can imagine the world different than it is, and then work to achieve such visions. That's Art(ifice).


Conservative objective idealists then? Is that what you and Satyr are? :lol:

The impeccable problem of separating what is real from what is ideal but of course you all have said you've finally solved this dilemma.

Idealism is the root of all conflict in this world and incidentally it will be idealism that finally destroys civilization in the end. For sure the world revolves around power and there is no way to alter this natural dynamic but unchecked or unrestricted power eventually threatens all. The ideal of ultimate power is a damning one and it has destroyed many.
Your entire world of fantasy and make believe is doomed, have a nice day.
User avatar
Otto_West
Doom Pornographer
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Dumbfuckistan- Will Work For Depreciating (FRN) Shekels.

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Otto_West » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:27 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:So to find out that you will not actually perish, only your human form, meaning you are an eternal conscious being, would that knowledge change a Nihilists mind or reaffirm that it matters not for I have no choice but to endure indefinitely?

Believing in immortality is nihilistic.

Believing that you have one life, no after-life, and you take nothing beyond death, is the opposite of nihilism.

People become nihilistic when they want to 'escape' life, or simply responsibilities in general. People want to pass the blame and causation of existence onto other people, places, things, gods. Hence the main cause for belief in god, is a scape-goat mechanism. "God" is to blame for everything (bad). That's how the average nihilistic thinks and perceives existence.

How hilarious you preach the folly of immortality yet embrace it through technological progressivism the very embodiment of immorality's modern popular form. What a very glaring contradiction you speak being a technological progressivism enthusiast yourself.

And let us describe technological progressivism for what it is, the ideal that humanity as a whole can somehow escape its natural limitations and confinements here on earth. The ideal that human beings one day will become technological gods to lord over the entire universe.
Your entire world of fantasy and make believe is doomed, have a nice day.
User avatar
Otto_West
Doom Pornographer
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: Dumbfuckistan- Will Work For Depreciating (FRN) Shekels.

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:You can give meaning to your own life but still be a nihilist if you think death is all that follows it because it can make it all seem completely
pointless. The way round this is to not think that life has to be eternal in order to have meaning. It simply means that meaning is subjective
But in any case we have no God given right to expect the universe to make us immortal in order to give objective meaning to our existence

Nihilism is negative-idealism in the sense that most Nihilists have no vision for the future. A Nihilist cannot see 'beyond' his or her own life, thus many types of nihilism are solipsistic. For example, a Nihilist believes his/her life has no meaning, and is worthless, and could be relatively accurate and true with that judgment. However some lives are more valuable than others. This contradicts modernity and humanist notions of "Equality". Some lives are worth more than others, hence, some lives have meaning and others do not. Nihilists do not account for this.

An amateur nihilist will say, "all life has no meaning" because his or her life has no meaning. The nihilist is projecting his or her own complete lack of value, negated, onto others, believing that since he has no worth in life, that others must not have worth, and this is false. It's a logical fallacy. Also most nihilists cannot justify their ideology, beliefs, rationality of meaningless, in such that life has survival instincts. Nihilism cannot properly nor sufficiently explain survival instincts.

Another example, if life inherently has no meaning, then why is all life pre-programmed, genetically, to survive and live and reproduce? Nihilists have no good answers or response.


The "Average Nihilist" is a young, spurned, jaded male, who cannot get laid, and has little to no hope of doing so. A weakling, bullied throughout life. Thus the "Nihilist" believes, usually correctly, that (his) life has no meaning (to anybody else). That's true. Many nihilists are worthless human beings. And if they died or commit suicide, then yes, nobody would care. To the Nihilists, this is their (moral) validation and redemption, their method of coping and saying, "haha, I told you so, I'm right!"

But it's "right" in the wrong way.


Objectively, life has instincts, developed and evolved since eternity, and these instincts cause life to continue, despite the minority of excess that "chooses" not to. Over-population is the cause of such ideologies and rationalizations. When there are 10000000000000 human beings alive, then does it really matter if 1 person dies, or 100000 people die? No, because there are still 999999999999999 human beings left. The overall specie is not affected by the minority of nihilists, cynics, nay-sayers, and life-haters.

Life persists without them.


This leads to the notion of 'Sacrifice' and the "Social Justice Warrior". When a specie is over-populated, larger and larger portions of that population can be easily and readily sacrificed for "some great cause" (even if it's not great, even if it's frivolous and worthless). Hence Nihilists are a type of human sacrifice, easily lost.

Like an extra limb you don't need. Who needs a third hand when two do just fine?
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:42 pm

WendyDarling wrote:I believe in God but I don't blame Him for everything for without bad you would not know what is good. Then being ready for death in old age is nihilistic?

Being ready for death in old age is nihilistic when old people believe in the afterlife, heaven, hell, or any other nihilistic notion out there that acts as a catharsis for the fear of death. Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Old people who pass on a lineage, a family, sons, daughters, grandchildren, are less nihilistic. Reality is that "afterlife" simply means having children and reproducing. The son is "after the life" of the father, or daughter of mother, etc. That's the literal translation.

No magic, no God, no christianity-judaism required. No Nihilism required. Just living with reality. Having a child, or not.


Not having children, for ideological reasons, or out of contempt, self-hatred, is nihilistic yes. And it is also the suppression of the sexual drives, which is the essence of life.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Otto_West wrote:How hilarious you preach the folly of immortality yet embrace it through technological progressivism the very embodiment of immorality's modern popular form. What a very glaring contradiction you speak being a technological progressivism enthusiast yourself.

And let us describe technological progressivism for what it is, the ideal that humanity as a whole can somehow escape its natural limitations and confinements here on earth. The ideal that human beings one day will become technological gods to lord over the entire universe.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I have never preached about immortality. I don't believe in it. And because you are ignorant of what should be a very obvious fact, that only indicates to me that you have know idea what I'm talking about too.

Nihilism is socialistic and based in herd instincts, to bury your head in the sand, or to immerse yourself in society. Even your compulsions are socialistic as you have admitted such with your weakness toward women. You're not an individualist because you don't understand morality and self-responsibility. You don't know how to live separately from society or others.

Somebody who is strongly self-responsible, rejects victim mentality, cannot be a nihilist. Because such a person confronts reality and attempts to recognize causes of life and existence, to take account for it all. Intelligence leads to morality, to know that people act and cause events in such a way as to affect others and everything else. Nihilism is a denial of morality and accountability.

Nihilists are irresponsible, immature, naive, and ignorant. As I mentioned a moment ago, a Nihilist cannot "see beyond yourself". You're selfish, and lacking empathy. Just because your life has no meaning, doesn't mean that other peoples' lives have no meaning. Because some do. Some people have more meaning, or are worth more than others.

This is obviously true when people prefer their own kin, kind, family before others, and would choose one person to live over another, if forced to choose.

Therefore life is not nihilistic. Nihilism is a minority ideology and ranges in degree. People speak nihilistic ideals, but, act in different ways.


For example, there's a Christian who claims "there is an afterlife/heaven/hell" but yet hesitates in dangerous situations. How can Christians who believe in afterlife hesitate, with fear, from jumping off cliffs while they believe in an afterlife?

Because beliefs can be lies. And they are lies in such they contradict the actions and behaviors.

This is why Nihilism is, overall, an irrational ideology. People claim to believe in this or that, like "god", but when put to the test, they show their true colors. People are still animals, acting on instincts. The word-play, the memetic factor, the "I believe in god", can all be bullshit, and it mostly is. Just a pile of lies.

Nihlists contribute to the cesspool, adding to the manure pile. Nihilism relies on emotionalism and victimization. "I'm a victim, my life has no meaning, help meeee!!!"
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Magnus Anderson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 am

Perhaps all ideals are Nihilistic in the sense that they express a discontent and dissatisfaction for "the way the world is" right now, currently.


That stretches the concept too much. Without dissatisfaction there can be no motivation to take corrective action e.g. without hunger there can be no motivation to eat and so there can be no motivation to search for food that you can eat. Instead, there is simply passive acceptance of life e.g. you accept that you are hungry, which means that if you don't eat you will die, and you accept that outcome without taking any action to prevent it from happening.

This reminds me of how psychologists say that everyone and everything that inflicts some kind of damage upon others exhibits a degree of pathology. The only difference between those who need psychiatric help and those who don't being the degree of pathology they suffer from. So lions are pathological. In fact, everyone is. Which says absolutely nothing about reality but merely expresses their negative value judgment of, their disapproval of, cruelty.

By learning how to distinguish between factual statements (that merely describe how the world works) and value statements (that express the degree to which reality conforms to one's expectations) the need to stretch the concept beyond what is reasonable disappears.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby surreptitious57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 am

Urwron wrote:
Nihilism is negative idealism in the sense that most Nihilists have no vision for the future. A Nihilist cannot see beyond his or her
own life thus many types of nihilism are solipsistic. For example a Nihilist believes his / her life has no meaning and is worthless

I am a pragmatist not an idealist or a solipsist. I do not think my life has no meaning or is worthless but whatever meaning it has is just temporary. For in
the grand scheme of things it means absolutely nothing as life itself is only temporary. A brief stop before the eternity of non consciousness that is death
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:18 am

Nihilism at least describes reactions to negative idealism. Obviously everybody has some degrees of discontentment and satisfaction with life. Perfection is never attained, hence people re-imagine the world according to their own subjective beliefs, values, and worldview. The 'nihilistic' aspect begins with solipsism, when, people are either too powerless or cowardly to conceive of how their ideal can match reality, or simply, reject reality altogether. The complete rejection of reality, a refusal of confronting challenges and hardships in life, avoidance of pain rather than confronting it, leads to a stunting effect.

When modernity is defined by sensationalism, commercialism, hedonism, and attention-seeking, lives of luxury, then what little is left of a "harsh reality" is even too much to bear for an average person. Hence nihilistic ideals, impossible to realize, or never intended to be realized, are a type of crutch. They are the "safe spaces" of society, that people harbor their more private resentiment and contempt, for others and themselves.

It's pretty obvious, for example, how beliefs in the afterlife or "for a better world", are generally nihilistic and life-annulling. For example, if people actually abide by what they claim, what they say, then those who truly believe in the "afterlife" ought not have fear or hesitations to die. But they do, and because they do, this demonstrates the hypocrisies and contradictions of nihilism.

Even despite all the claims people make, instincts are strong, and people act according to animal nature.


That's why I characterize and pinpoint nihilism as a herd-instinct, a compulsion and tendency of any individual to bury his or her head in the sand. To swarm in numbers and a flock. Thus "humanist" ideology, that "we are all human", is nihilistic. Because it is the death and destruction, sacrifice of an individual, to "the whole". To give up your independence, in exchange for the benefits of society, to "become one" with humanity.

People ought to recognize how judeo-christian these conceptions are, to "become one with humanity (christ)".
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby surreptitious57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:57 am

The notion that we are all equal or should be treated as such is as much a Utopian concept as a humanist one
That is why it tends not to translate very well to reality. Because like any Utopian concept it is very idealistic
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Then who or what are nihilistic folks, automatons without a purpose?


That depends entirely on the manner in which any particular folks have come to encompass, to embrace and then through their behaviors, to embody their own understanding of the word.

And then [for some] in their attempts to intertwine, integrate and/or challenge the understanding of others. In particular, out in the world of actual social, political and economic interactions.

My own argument revolves around the extent to which [in a world sans God] mere mortals are able to propose a purpose that transcends the manner in which I have come to understand the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

But here we need to decide on an actual context. One we are all likely to be familiar with. One in which we share our own understanding of what having a "purpose" might mean. And, then, if our meanings come into conflict, assessing the extent to which this either can be resolved [in a political "consensus"] or linked to a frame of mind that is said to be [and then demonstrated to be] reflective of an optimal understanding.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 21515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:So...

1] pick a moral/political issue that we are all familiar with
2] note your own moral/political narrative regarding it

Then we can discuss nihilism in that particular context.

I already picked moral and political issues everybody is familiar with. Can you read?????


Then we will have to agree to disagree regarding the manner in which we understand the meaning of examining a moral or political issue.

I am more inclined to choose one that is currently generating headlines. In other words, interactions in which political narratives are clearly at odds because folks along the continuum from left to right insist that if you understand the "human condition" in the optimal manner, you will share their own assessment of the conflict.

Whereas I propose [as a moral nihilist] that, in the absence of God, any and all "humanisms" are embodied in the manner in which I have come to understand the interaction between individuals "out in a particular world" that have come to embody dasein, conflicting goods and political economy. At least with respect to any particular context that precipitates any particular conflicting behaviors.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 21515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:09 pm

iambiguous wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Then who or what are nihilistic folks, automatons without a purpose?


That depends entirely on the manner in which any particular folks have come to encompass, to embrace and then through their behaviors, to embody their own understanding of the word.

And then [for some] in their attempts to intertwine, integrate and/or challenge the understanding of others. In particular, out in the world of actual social, political and economic interactions.

My own argument revolves around the extent to which [in a world sans God] mere mortals are able to propose a purpose that transcends the manner in which I have come to understand the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

But here we need to decide on an actual context. One we are all likely to be familiar with. One in which we share our own understanding of what having a "purpose" might mean. And, then, if our meanings come into conflict, assessing the extent to which this either can be resolved [in a political "consensus"] or linked to a frame of mind that is said to be [and then demonstrated to be] reflective of an optimal understanding.

Conscience..fully developed and active or underdeveloped and dormant.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:19 pm

When people completely disconnect 'gods' or other abstractions into purely ideal forms, with no hint of realism or grounding, then yes, that type of nihilism is obvious. No "headlines" are required for it. If you don't want to discuss the matter, then why are you even in this thread?

It sounds like you need to be unhooked from your "sky hooks" and prepare to go sky diving. Do you even have a parachute???

Coming down from Nihilism can be deadly.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:23 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Conscience..fully developed and active or underdeveloped and dormant.


In other words, if a conscience is "fully developed and active" it will be in sync with yours.

That's objectivism alright.

And, indeed, any number of nihilists that I have come across over the years have posed a threat to this sort of thinking.

Thinking that basically revolves around this:

1] there is a "real me" that transcends contingency, chance and change
2] this "real me" is in sync with one or another understanding of "nihilism"
3] "nihilism" as embedded in one or another rendition of God, Humanism, ideology, nature.

And, not only that, but any number of nihilists I have come across over the years will insist that, in turn, only the manner in which they have come to understand the meaning of nihilism is the right one.

Not me though. I never lose sight of the fact [if it is a fact] that my own speculation about these things is just one more additional "existential contraption". In, for example, exchanges like this.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 21515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:When people completely disconnect 'gods' or other abstractions into purely ideal forms, with no hint of realism or grounding, then yes, that type of nihilism is obvious. No "headlines" are required for it. If you don't want to discuss the matter, then why are you even in this thread?

It sounds like you need to be unhooked from your "sky hooks" and prepare to go sky diving. Do you even have a parachute???

Coming down from Nihilism can be deadly.


Note to others:

What "on earth" do you suppose he means by this?

And, on the contrary, it is precisely the sort of "human all too human" encounters/conflicts that we come across "on the news" that generate [by far] the most fierce debates regarding "meaning" in our lives.

Now, why do you suppose that is, Mr. Philosopher?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 21515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:30 pm

iambiguous wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Conscience..fully developed and active or underdeveloped and dormant.


In other words, if a conscience is "fully developed and active" it will be in sync with yours.

That's objectivism alright.

And, indeed, any number of nihilists that I have come across over the years have posed a threat to this sort of thinking.

Thinking that basically revolves around this:

1] there is a "real me" that transcends contingency, chance and change
2] this "real me" is in sync with one or another understanding of "nihilism"
3] "nihilism" as embedded in one or another rendition of God, Humanism, ideology, nature.

And, not only that, but any number of nihilists I have come across over the years will insist that, in turn, only the manner in which they have come to understand the meaning of nihilism is the right one.

Not me though. I never lose sight of the fact [if it is a fact] that my own speculation about these things is just one more additional "existential contraption". In, for example, exchanges like this.

Describe your conscience Iambiggie.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby iambiguous » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:52 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Describe your conscience Iambiggie.


Well, we all come into the world hardwired [biologically, genetically] to react to the world around us with a "conscience":

This thing:

...an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment that assists in distinguishing right from wrong.

But, over the long course of human interaction [going all the way back to the caves], there have been any number actual, extant historical, cultural, experiential narratives regarding that which "here and now" was deemed to be right or wrong.

Now, as philosophers [ethicists] what are we to make of this?

Is the manner in which Jane or Abdul or Ivan or Fung or Kirra or Maria or Aguta exercises his or her conscience in a particular context able to be assessed as the right thing or the wrong thing to do?

Is there a manner in which one behavior or another can be said to be most in sync with nature? Or with a "moral imperative"?

With a "clear conscience"?

Again, focus the beam here on a specific behavior of yours. How is it a reflection of your conscience? What is your reaction when it comes into conflict with the behaviors of others. Whose conscience can be said to be more "reasonable" or more "virtuous"?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 21515
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 pm

iambiguous wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Describe your conscience Iambiggie.


Well, we all come into the world hardwired [biologically, genetically] to react to the world around us with a "conscience":

This thing:

...an aptitude, faculty, intuition or judgment that assists in distinguishing right from wrong.

But, over the long course of human interaction [going all the way back to the caves], there have been any number actual, extant historical, cultural, experiential narratives regarding that which "here and now" was deemed to be right or wrong.

Now, as philosophers [ethicists] what are we to make of this?

Is the manner in which Jane or Abdul or Ivan or Fung or Kirra or Maria or Aguta exercises his or her conscience in a particular context able to be assessed as the right thing or the wrong thing to do?

Is there a manner in which one behavior or another can be said to be most in sync with nature? Or with a "moral imperative"?

With a "clear conscience"?

Again, focus the beam here on a specific behavior of yours. How is it a reflection of your conscience? What is your reaction when it comes into conflict with the behaviors of others. Whose conscience can be said to be more "reasonable" or more "virtuous"?

You have no conscience? If you have one you will personally attest to its nature. :evilfun:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Amateur Nihilism

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Lamb, no more derailing threads with your petulant nonsense. Nobody wants to hear it. If you can't stay on the topic of this thread, which is nihilism, then you should leave. Take your attention-seeking behavior elsewhere.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users