Emotions & Intellect

Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments and the formation of civilisations.
Imagination and Intellect are responsible for scientific and technological developments – combined with Emotions, latter can have destructive results.
Fear, hatred, envy, greed & the likes, have played major roles in the disappearances of previous civilisations and seem – when goading contemporary sciences and technologies – to be able to bring about global catastrophes and even the disappearance of Sapiens.
Yet, instead of doing his Latin title “reasonable, wise” justice and trying to get rid of this menace, he not only justifies his emotions, by claiming them to be essential for his survival, but boosts them with media and commerce to a rampant force that apparently is able to overpower the intellect – at least it would explain the increasing readiness of scientists to surrender their works and themselves to the lures of money and glory - and the attempts to infect AI`s with emotions.

Emotions can cause actions & reactions which, occasionally, chase each other throughout the life of their beholder.
Some emotions can affect adrenalin rushes & heart attacks, while others may bring about murder & suicide, or Eifel- & Trump-towers.
There are innumerable works about emotions and their effects, yet only few do mention that emotions are addictive. An omission that ought not to surprise, since addicts do not only tend to deny their predicament, but to elaborate sophisticated cover-ups, excuses & deceptions, and sometimes even try to seduce and to corrupt those who do not cherish
Anger - Anguish – Anxiety - Existenceangst - Disgust - Distrust - Hatred – Envy - Fear – Greed - Frustration – Grief – Guilt – Hostility - Humiliation - Jealousy - Regret – Rage – Remorse – Resentment - Sadness - Shame – Sorrow - Suffering ….

Emotions and Intellect both individually or in combination has their pros and cons.

What is critical is emotions must be complemented with the intellect/reason to produce wisdom which is net-positive for the well-being of the individual[s], groups and humanity.

Note my often quoted where emotions must be modulated by intellect and higher reason to produce wisdom,

“ANYBODY can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry
[list]with the right person, and
to the right degree, and
at the right time, and
for the right purpose, and
in the right way,
that is not within everybody’s power, that is not easy.” - Aristotle[/list:u]

Prismatic567

Aye!!! Aristotle (the best purpose) was right.
That seems to make anger into a valuable tool, doesn’t it, if used within effective parameters.
Depending on the individual, anger can become either a force for good or one for destruction.

Without emotions, you get destructive results. I wouldn’t leave my kid alone with someone who had no emotions, and I dislike what the people with handicapped emotions are doing to my planet.

…emotional handicapped intellects don`t do too well either…

Where does imagination enter the equation ?

to equate emotions, intellect & imagination is beyond my means…

Sure. But my point was that without the information emotions have technological options can be a mess.

Indeed. And not within everyones means!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UqKnq47iRQ[/youtube]

"Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments "

Yes, but this proposition precedes even the purpose thema of Your narrative!

Can I guess?

As “waechter” (German: “guardian”) i ring the alarm bells when i see adversaries at the gate, how to deal with them is up to everyone they have a bearing on.

I didn’t mean to imply an adversarial position, only to seek clarification between the above quoted propositions.

I can only conclude that Your opening them a is audience it’self to clarification by others, but I was really unsure, as I still am.
Is it that You wish to pursue or vindication by others as to my query sounding more adversitious then quizzical?

Sorry for causing confusion - adversary did not imply you - i never release personal frustrations in a forum nor do i respond to such.
Please let us forget this mishap.

course forgotten and what’s to forgive ?

That Sapiens, the offspring of Homo*, does not try to get rid of emotions* either, is probably because they seem to relate him in time/space and thus verify his existence.

meaning: to affect the self with its existence
To exist the self to itself.

From now on to exist is a transitive verb.

Self is the core and coordinate of mind

Does the self exist the mind or vice versa?
Does the chicken exist the egg?

When the road crossed the path of the chicken, it existed it.

“As long as we place our faith in grammar we shall not be rid of God” - Heidegger