Emotions & Intellect

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Emotions & Intellect

Postby waechter418 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments and the formation of civilisations.
Imagination and Intellect are responsible for scientific and technological developments – combined with Emotions, latter can have destructive results.
Fear, hatred, envy, greed & the likes, have played major roles in the disappearances of previous civilisations and seem – when goading contemporary sciences and technologies – to be able to bring about global catastrophes and even the disappearance of Sapiens.
Yet, instead of doing his Latin title “reasonable, wise” justice and trying to get rid of this menace, he not only justifies his emotions, by claiming them to be essential for his survival, but boosts them with media and commerce to a rampant force that apparently is able to overpower the intellect – at least it would explain the increasing readiness of scientists to surrender their works and themselves to the lures of money and glory - and the attempts to infect AI`s with emotions.
waechter418

Re: Emotions & Intellect

Postby waechter418 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Emotions can cause actions & reactions which, occasionally, chase each other throughout the life of their beholder.
Some emotions can affect adrenalin rushes & heart attacks, while others may bring about murder & suicide, or Eifel- & Trump-towers.
There are innumerable works about emotions and their effects, yet only few do mention that emotions are addictive. An omission that ought not to surprise, since addicts do not only tend to deny their predicament, but to elaborate sophisticated cover-ups, excuses & deceptions, and sometimes even try to seduce and to corrupt those who do not cherish
Anger - Anguish – Anxiety - Existenceangst - Disgust - Distrust - Hatred – Envy - Fear – Greed - Frustration – Grief – Guilt – Hostility - Humiliation - Jealousy - Regret – Rage – Remorse – Resentment - Sadness - Shame – Sorrow - Suffering ….
waechter418

Postby Prismatic567 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 am

Emotions and Intellect both individually or in combination has their pros and cons.

What is critical is emotions must be complemented with the intellect/reason to produce wisdom which is net-positive for the well-being of the individual[s], groups and humanity.

Note my often quoted where emotions must be modulated by intellect and higher reason to produce wisdom,

“ANYBODY can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry
      with the right person, and
      to the right degree, and
      at the right time, and
      for the right purpose, and
      in the right way,
    that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.” - Aristotle
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Prismatic567

Note my often quoted where emotions must be modulated by intellect and higher reason to produce wisdom,

“ANYBODY can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry
      with the right person, and
      to the right degree, and
      at the right time, and
      for the right purpose, and
      in the right way,
    that is not within everybody's power, that is not easy.” - Aristotle

Aye!!! Aristotle (the best purpose) was right.
That seems to make anger into a valuable tool, doesn't it, if used within effective parameters.
Depending on the individual, anger can become either a force for good or one for destruction.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:50 pm

waechter418 wrote:Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments and the formation of civilisations.
Imagination and Intellect are responsible for scientific and technological developments – combined with Emotions, latter can have destructive results.
Without emotions, you get destructive results. I wouldn't leave my kid alone with someone who had no emotions, and I dislike what the people with handicapped emotions are doing to my planet.
Karpel Tunnel

Return to Philosophy