Where does meaning come from?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Where does meaning come from?

Postby gib » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:James S Saint wrote:

Discover the objective truth of what you are and from there the meaning of your life will spring

I was going to follow the pattern which is a part of me at times well, often actually, in responding to posts ~~ giving my own answer. But I decided to adhere to the Socratic method which is clearly not a part of me. lol. Don't expect that too often.

You have just left the student in the mighty forest. Where does he/she go from there? 8-[

So, what are you saying here, James?
How do we go about accomplishing this great feat?
What is our guiding light to get there?
Is there any one specific thing (or something which cannot be left out) which must be used in order to do this?

If I may, Arc, does James' comment remind you of the What Of Your Essence? thread? If we are ever changing creatures, is it even possible to discover the objective truth of what you are?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Global acts of terrorism happen every day. Uh, here's something that's never happened before: I'm a pickle! I'm Pickle Rick!!!"
- Rick Sanchez
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 am

...a need from within... everybody has their own agenda of what they want to get out of life, and so meaning is pertinent to the individual through input and output/a self-serving process, interrupted by work and modern woes.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arminius » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Dan~ wrote:Thank you for your post.

I equate meaning to core qualities.

The core is like the existential everything of a being.
It has all kinds of temporary and changing aspects,
as well as repeating or old aspects.
Meaning can be found in the mental aspect of the existential core.
Meaning is like an alchemical biproduct.
A biological rare chemical complex.

That is the closest thing to an accurate description that ive got.

It would be like a forest supporting the life of monkeys.
In this case, the man suppports the life of meanings as memes.

Do you see what i mean?

Yes, I see what you mean. Thank you for your response, Dan.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Some Guy in History » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:27 pm

All I can think of that might relate in any way, shape or form that you all might be able to take to heart is something shown to me by a dog during my awakening. He showed me how so many had engraved a giant dick into the baseline of creation. I thought he had done it, so I told him 'bad dog', but turns out, as he explained to me, the balls symbolize the eternity symbol:

The shaft then represented all those trying to escape from eternity, breaking free from the figure 8 to travel high only to crash back down and from both directions.

The engraved giant cock of existence and creation even had 3 little drops of sperm to symbolize their escape from eternity.

The meaning that was then perfectly clear to me was that there was no escape from life, reality or existence and that by sheer accident all those that tried had wound up creating a giant dick and it was funny as Hell to those who never even had it occur to them to escape but instead made it their meaning to try to make their lives as meaningful as possible, to live their lives no matter how hard things got.

Which coincides with my belief that penis-wrinkle is an insult not used often enough. A lot of people are like penis-wrinkles. When things get hard, they vanish only to come back around after the party is over all pissed off about not having been around for the fucking fun.
Some Guy in History
Philosopher

Postby gib » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Some Guy in History wrote:All I can think of that might relate in any way, shape or form that you all might be able to take to heart is something shown to me by a dog during my awakening. He showed me how so many had engraved a giant dick into the baseline of creation. I thought he had done it, so I told him 'bad dog', but turns out, as he explained to me, the balls symbolize the eternity symbol:

Was it anything like this:

My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Global acts of terrorism happen every day. Uh, here's something that's never happened before: I'm a pickle! I'm Pickle Rick!!!"
- Rick Sanchez
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby encode_decode » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:08 pm

MagsJ

I agree . . . everybody has their own agenda . . .

MagsJ wrote:...a need from within... everybody has their own agenda of what they want to get out of life, and so meaning is pertinent to the individual through input and output/a self-serving process, interrupted by work and modern woes.

I like what you wrote "a need from within". Meaning does tend to be interrupted by work and modern woes. I can only hope that despite the things that interrupt our individual searching to find meaning that we are able to hold onto . . . to the meaning gained - it is perhaps precious.

:D
    The emotion is "in the world," not in the mind, the psyche, or the soul. (Robert C. Solomon - 1998)
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 pm

gib wrote:

....If we are ever changing creatures, is it even possible to discover the objective truth of what you are?

I'm an ongoing process, gib. I can only speak for myself here. Well, we are all ongoing processes.

The way I look at it, I think that I can discover the objective (actual reality) truth about myself, I mean, see myself as I really am. But I think that takes an enormous amount of honesty and a lot of time and energy, a lot of investigation, a lot of agonizing moments when we see what we do not like. That can be a great revelation as to who we are.
    It also takes a lot of compassion and sensitivity toward ourselves because we are, after all, human.

But don't you think that that can only happen in the moment, in each moment, in each phase or through each path of our existence - and there are many different ones, I think.

I don't intuit that we just automatically come to discover this just as we do not automatically come to discovery the reality and truth of deep space or anything. And just how often has that changed?
    Everything unfolds at different times for us. Sometimes we see our light and sometimes we see our darkness. We need to see it all in order to see us at any given moment.
    Human beings are complicated creatures - at least I think that we are.

Since we are ever-changing, I think that we can only discover the true reality of who we are as individuals step by step by step within the particular phase which we are in - if that made sense.
    Sometimes we can find this ourselves and sometimes it is something which just *happens to us* like an epiphany.

I don't think that we discover this objective truth about ourselves all at one time. How can we?
    Time does not stop for us - it flows on. So as it flows, we have help discovering this map, this great big puzzle of who we are - though the pieces move around and the puzzle becomes a different puzzle. lol
    As you say, we are ever-changing.
    There is no straight line when it comes to who we are and we will never ever discover all of the objective truth about ourselves. There is just not enough time and we are after all FLOW.

It's like climbing a mountain. Up we go, down we go sliding. Then we discover at some point that we have to edge ourselves around to another path that we feel will bring us closer to the summit. Then up we go, down we go....ad continuum.

Too much.
    SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
    Arcturus Descending
    Consciousness Seeker

Postby Some Guy in History » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 am

gib wrote:
    Some Guy in History wrote:All I can think of that might relate in any way, shape or form that you all might be able to take to heart is something shown to me by a dog during my awakening. He showed me how so many had engraved a giant dick into the baseline of creation. I thought he had done it, so I told him 'bad dog', but turns out, as he explained to me, the balls symbolize the eternity symbol:

Was it anything like this:

Naw, more like this:

Some Guy in History
    Philosopher

Previous

Return to Philosophy