Why do people have the desire to talk?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

Social Influence

Social Influence cuts both ways for we all seek to influence each other - I you and you me.

When the heart is good then we seek to influence each other in good ways and when the heart is bad then we seek to influence each other in bad ways. Social Influence is more about the health of the group as a whole. Social Influence is variable and can become corrupt. The motivations of each individual in the group either enhance or diminish the value of the overall Social Influence inside the group.

The desire to talk then is partly based on our motivations to influence each other - to either add value or detract it.

:-k
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning, which is to say there is always meaning.(gib - 2017)
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:36 am

Sense of Social Acceptance

For some people it might seem strange that we have a sense for social acceptance - we have at least two actually - one to sense whether we feel accepted and another to know whether others are accepted. This sense is to monitor the perceived health of the group.

I think Wikipedia says it pretty well: "Acceptance in human psychology is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it or protest it. The concept is close in meaning to acquiescence, derived from the Latin acquiēscere (to find rest in)."

Further: "Social acceptance affects people of all sorts and includes children, teenagers, and adults. Social acceptance could be defined as the fact that most people, in order to fit in with others, attempt to look and act like them. Or sometimes it is the ability to accept or to tolerate differences and diversity in other people or groups of people."

And lastly: "Self-acceptance is being happy with one's current self. It is an agreement with oneself to appreciate, validate, accept, and support the self as it is at this moment. People have trouble accepting themselves because of a lack of motivation. Some have the misconception that if someone is happy with themselves, they would not change anything about themselves. This is not true; individuals don't have to be unhappy with themselves to know and actively change things they don't like."

I would suggest that self-acceptance is partially determined through social acceptance. When removing the social noise to "find ourselves" we are comparing ourselves to others in an attempt to validate our self-concept - we desire to talk to others and we often perform self-talk.
      - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning, which is to say there is always meaning.(gib - 2017)
      encode_decode
      Thinker

Part 6 - Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 am

As a pathway to Enlightenment - Cogito ergo sum

We talk, read, write and listen as as means to achieve enlightenment - because we desire to be enlightened. Is this true?

I have no intention of pushing any particular agenda here and first I would like to look at ways enlightenment is viewed.

Enlightenment simply put is the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened.

Another way to view enlightenment is as the action or state of attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight, in particular (in Buddhism) that awareness which frees a person from the cycle of rebirth.

The Enlightenment was a European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent figures included Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith.

Thank you google for your definitions.

:D

So what exactly are we talking about here? I believe we are talking about a few things that have become confused over time and suffers from overproduced interpretations. I say this because of my experience arguing with people on such things as the real meaning of the yin and yang, Buddhist concepts as well as WE Westerners who value our individualism so highly as to become condescending to our fellow man - but I have seen this having of or showing an attitude of patronizing superiority evident in modern day interpretations of Eastern thought too.

However I do believe we desire to talk partially because we desire to be enlightened.

I personally have lost interest in any form of enlightenment - it has become somewhat boring to argue for me - I am certain that enlightenment is not supposed to be so bothersome and tiresome but rather free us of our bondage - yet so many people spend the better part of their lives arguing, fighting and acting like imbeciles in the name of enlightenment - so certain that their own view is the only view.

My suggestion is that most have trapped themselves rather than freed themselves of any burden . . .

. . . disparaging opinions abound . . .

"Douglas Adams jokingly theorized that if human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains would start working. There's some truth in that since talking could very well, just by the overproduction of signifiers, be able to drown out the actual meaning or thought connected to the words. This would take one into the broader social theory that our society is overproducing reality and as such, is losing reality at the same pace. Signifier production (production of pure connection) here seen as part of the broader reality construction."

To reiterate:

With other people we can see the light;
          by myself I can only see the dark.

With other people we can add purpose;
          by my self I have none.

With other people I can find answers;
          I alone can find none.

Society is an ocean;
          I am but a wave.

As I stated previously it is quite likely that the real mission is: how to work out why this needs to be the case. We seek to define for ourselves an identity - we separate ourselves whether in isolation or in connection. We confine ourselves to our own ideals and feel threatened or enlightened when these ideals come into question - we then desire to talk, argue and agree.

WendyDarling wrote:Ah Aaron, still looking forward to the rest of your more in-depth thoughts...no rush though...newness takes time to cover.

I in turn look forward to more interaction - I am never in a rush - agreed newness takes time to cover.

To understand ultimate truth one need only sit in reality undisturbed by delusion, and there the nature of reality is present. Concept-clinging works mostly as a hindrance to insight. Take it away for even a few moments, a silent mind, and you'll immediately realize that there's existence. Seriously, take a look around you, check the room, where is non-existence besides as shallow concept? What you know, the only thing anyone knows, is existence.

WendyDarling; Thank you for your insight and I hope you don't mind the slight change:

"As a being, I desire other beings to measure the worth of existence and without other beings, existence would be worthless."

:romance-grouphug:

I Speak, Therefore I Am - maybe?

:lol:

encode_decode
          Thinker

Postby James S Saint » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:52 pm

And then there is that looming question;
              Why do you desire to talk about why people desire to talk?
          8)
          Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
          Else
          From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
          The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
          It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
          As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
          Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
          James S Saint
          ILP Legend

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 pm

James

James S Saint wrote:And then there is that looming question;
            8)

It seemed like a good topic at the time - I did not really have any desire to talk.

I was curious as to why others did.

encode_decode
              Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm

James S Saint wrote:And then there is that looming question;
              8)

Looming question, James? Perhaps not so looming. :evilfun:

Learning about WHY someone desires to talk is another way of getting to know them at their core, their center.
              Some people desire or enjoy talking because they love to share, it is important to them.
              For some people it is about ridding their selves of suppressed emotions and thoughts which can be detrimental to their physical and mental health...getting rid of those cobwebs in a manner of speaking.

If someone says to you: "James, if I can't talk, if I can't express myself, if I can't in some ways reveal myself to you, I will close myself off. I will feel very much alone, like an island of sorts.
              People desire to talk and having someone to talk with, open up to, is like a catharsis ~~ in the same way that laughing or crying or running is.
              Why do you think there is such a need for people like psychologists and psychiatrists, especially the really good ones, who basically will do most of the listening and allow the other to do most of the speaking, ranting and raving, getting out the pain and confusion, et cetera?

Of course, I'm just responding to your question and I very much realize that there is nothing in here that you don't already know or understand, James.
              SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
              Arcturus Descending
              Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:06 pm

A few thoughts come to mind. Unless I am losing my mind - that is also a possibility.

Why would I lose my desire to talk?

Arcturus Descending wrote:Perhaps not so looming.

I wonder how much we don't know about about the compulsion to talk.

encode_decode
                  Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 pm

encode_decode

A few thoughts come to mind. Unless I am losing my mind - that is also a possibility.

Well, if you are losing your mind, then it is a good thing that you recognize the possibility and you can do something about it.
                  I'm kidding of course ~~but there is truth in that,
                  But would someone who is losing their mind be aware of that?

But why, pray tell, do you see that as a possibility? Are your little bots giving you a hard time? hehehehehe

Why would I lose my desire to talk?

Is that a rhetorical question?

Arcturus Descending

Perhaps not so looming.

I wonder how much we don't know about about the compulsion to talk.

I may be wrong here but that might depend on the individual him/her -self. I think that some of us at the moment when we are feeling compelled to talk, or are aware of that compulsion within ourselves, and are experiencing it through talk, can take a step back and realize where they are coming from, what it is which is triggering it, what fear, et cetera, and can bring it to a slow halt.

But to further answer your question, probably LOADS. :evilfun:
                  There is so very much within us which we are not aware of - what makes us tick. We and our minds are like deep space in a sense, a final frontier the end of which we may never understand.
                  Okay, that's enough :oops:

[/quote]
                    SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
                    Arcturus Descending
                    Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Arcturus Descending

You have blown me away already.

Arcturus Descending wrote:But to further answer your question, probably LOADS. :evilfun:

Ah good - I was getting scared.

As for the rest - well - I will respond - you can bet on that . . .

=D>

encode_decode
                        Thinker

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

But would someone who is losing their mind be aware of that?

Yes.
                        I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
                        WendyDarling
                        Heroine

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 pm

I learnt about a drink called Satans koolaid today.

8-[

encode_decode
                        Thinker

Postby surreptitious57 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:40 am

encode decode wrote:
                        Social Influence cuts both ways for we all seek to influence each other - I you and you me

As a social recluse I have no desire to influence anyone. I am more an observer of society
                        than a participant and this suits me just fine. As being detached allows for peace of mind
                        A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
                        surreptitious57
                        Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 am

surreptitious57

surreptitious57 wrote:
                        encode decode wrote:
                        Social Influence cuts both ways for we all seek to influence each other - I you and you me

As a social recluse I have no desire to influence anyone. I am more an observer of society
                        than a participant and this suits me just fine. As being detached allows for peace of mind

So because you have no desire to influence anyone your influence becomes unintentional. Do you think anything might be affected by your observation?
                        Still I see the sense in your detachment - I am just wondering how many different forms of detachment I can come up with.

encode_decode
                        Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:09 am

Arcturus Descending

Now now . . . you know me better than that.

Arcturus Descending wrote:
                          Aaron wrote:Why would I lose my desire to talk?

Is that a rhetorical question?

If it was rhetorical then I would have indicated my intention clearly for it to be rhetorical.

Seriously though: why do you think it would be the case? That I lost my desire to talk not the whole rhetorical intentional indication thingy . . .
                          . . . or even the know me better than that thingy . . . just messing with ya.

Seriously though: why do you think?

encode_decode
                            Thinker

Postby surreptitious57 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 am

enco dedecode wrote:
                            surreptitious57 wrote:
                            encode decode wrote:

So because you have no desire to influence anyone your influence becomes
                            unintentional. Do you think anything might be affected by your observation

The words I write here and else where may influence others but like you say that is purely unintentional. As I have already
                            said I am not here to change minds and make others think like me. I simply write what I think and leave it up to them how
                            they want to interpret it. Agree or disagree it makes no difference to me. I have no control over other minds only my own
                            A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
                            surreptitious57
                            Philosopher

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 am

I hear you.

surreptitious57 wrote:The words I write here and else where may influence others but like you say that is purely unintentional. As I have already
                              said I am not here to change minds and make others think like me. I simply write what I think and leave it up to them how
                              they want to interpret it. Agree or disagree it makes no difference to me. I have no control over other minds only my own

It reminds me . . . more control over our own minds. The words "he/she made me do it" come to mind.

encode_decode
                                Thinker

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am

James S Saint wrote:Why do you desire to talk about why people desire to talk?
                                encode_decode wrote:I was curious as to why others did.
                                  Arcturus Descending wrote:Learning about WHY someone desires to talk is another way of getting to know them at their core, their center.
                                  encode_decode wrote:Why would I lose my desire to talk?
                                  James S Saint wrote:Could someone pass the dinner roles this way?
                                  Arcturus Descending wrote:There is so very much within us which we are not aware of - what makes us tick
                                  Arcturus Descending wrote:would someone who is losing their mind be aware of that?
                                  WendyDarling wrote:Yes.
                                  Arcturus Descending wrote:what it is which is triggering it, what fear
                                  encode_decode wrote:I learnt about a drink called Satans koolaid today.
                                  surreptitious57 wrote:As a social recluse I have no desire to influence anyone.
                                  encode_decode wrote:I am just wondering how many different forms of detachment I can come up with.
                                  James S Saint wrote:Okay, who ate up all of the butter ... damn
                                  encode_decode wrote:Seriously though: why do you think?
                                  surreptitious57 wrote:Agree or disagree it makes no difference to me. I have no control over other minds
                                  encode_decode wrote:more control over our own minds
                                  encode_decode wrote:The words "he/she made me do it" come to mind.
                                  Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
                                  Else
                                  From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
                                  The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
                                  It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
                                  As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
                                  Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
                                  James S Saint
                                  ILP Legend

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 pm

James S Saint wrote:
                                  Could someone pass the dinner roles this way?

The plain, theatrical dinner roles or the fancy ones? :evilfun: :lol:
                                  I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
                                  WendyDarling
                                  Heroine

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:31 pm

James S Saint wrote:
                                  James S Saint wrote:Why do you desire to talk about why people desire to talk?
                                  encode_decode wrote:I was curious as to why others did.
                                    Arcturus Descending wrote:Learning about WHY someone desires to talk is another way of getting to know them at their core, their center.
                                    encode_decode wrote:Why would I lose my desire to talk?
                                    James S Saint wrote:Could someone pass the dinner roles this way?
                                    Arcturus Descending wrote:There is so very much within us which we are not aware of - what makes us tick
                                    Arcturus Descending wrote:would someone who is losing their mind be aware of that?
                                    WendyDarling wrote:Yes.
                                    Arcturus Descending wrote:what it is which is triggering it, what fear
                                    encode_decode wrote:I learnt about a drink called Satans koolaid today.
                                    surreptitious57 wrote:As a social recluse I have no desire to influence anyone.
                                    encode_decode wrote:I am just wondering how many different forms of detachment I can come up with.
                                    James S Saint wrote:Okay, who ate up all of the butter ... damn
                                    encode_decode wrote:Seriously though: why do you think?
                                    surreptitious57 wrote:Agree or disagree it makes no difference to me. I have no control over other minds
                                    encode_decode wrote:more control over our own minds
                                    encode_decode wrote:The words "he/she made me do it" come to mind.

lol Does not compute.
                                    SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
                                    Arcturus Descending
                                    Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:35 pm

In response to big_endian_16: Buffer overflow, heap spraying or a NOP slide? On the first count, bounds checking can prevent overflows.

- - - - -

In response to BungeeCord: In any case it looks like an information cascade . . .

- - - - -

I can not decide whether I should wear my white hat or my white hat today.

:techie-hiding:

encode_decode
                                        Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Oops . . . wrong tab . . .

:oops:

encode_decode
                                        Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Satans koolaid

That is better.

encode_decode
                                            Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:51 pm

encode_decode wrote:Oops . . . wrong tab . . .

:oops:

Maybe ~~ maybe not.

O! many a shaft, at random sent, Finds mark the archer little meant! And many a word, at random spoken, May soothe or wound a heart that's broken!
                                            Walter Scott

:character-tweety:
                                            SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
                                            Arcturus Descending
                                            Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:00 pm

I see.

encode_decode
                                            Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:24 pm

encode_decode wrote:I see.

What is it that you are looking at?
                                            SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
                                            Arcturus Descending
                                            Consciousness Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy