Why do people have the desire to talk?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby encode_decode » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41 pm

An information cascade.
- Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -
User avatar
encode_decode
Thinker
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:07 pm
Location: Metaspace

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Arminius » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Information, yes, but if "we all seek to influence each other", as you said, then this can be reduced to Hegel's "desire to get recognition (appreciation)" or to Nietzsche's "will to power".

I think that Hegel's "desire to get recognition (appreciation)" is the basis, thus also the basis of the following examples:

James S Saint wrote:
    • companionship
    • useful information
    • ego support
    • yearning for a life
    • social influence
    • sense of social acceptance
      .
      .
      .
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5384
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Arminius wrote:Information, yes, but if "we all seek to influence each other", as you said, then this can be reduced to Hegel's "desire to get recognition (appreciation)" or to Nietzsche's "will to power".

I think that Hegel's "desire to get recognition (appreciation)" is the basis, thus also the basis of the following examples:

James S Saint wrote:
    • companionship
    • useful information
    • ego support
    • yearning for a life
    • social influence
    • sense of social acceptance
      .
      .
      .


I suppose also a desire to control might go under *social influence*.
Aside from that, what you say may be, well, most assuredly, is the case in many instances but not necessarily in all instances, Arminius.

Couldn't there ALSO be those who seek to ONLY influence for good intentions, pure intentions, as pure as we humans can muster?
In other words, their ONLY intentions are towards others, towards the happiness and betterment of others. As I said, nothing is completely pure but the paramount reason for their desire to influence is toward the other[s].

Fortunately, there are people like that in the universe. Perhaps it will be those who save us from ourselves. We can only hope.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14784
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:46 pm

encode_decode wrote:Why do you have the desire to talk?

I desire to talk...(about philosophy). However it has been a great challenge in my life to meet other people, or anybody really, remotely interested in philosophy compared to myself. I would consider myself the #1 most interested in philosophy individual on the planet, maybe even historically. Since most people can't really match my interest, it leads to one-sided conversations where I am leading with questions and answers, most of which I've considered hundreds of times already. So it becomes very difficult to find interesting and intelligent conversations and partners, for philosophy.

In general, I don't like to talk much. And I'll explain why with the next Q&A.



encode_decode wrote:Why do people have the desire to talk?

Most humans use communication, desire to talk, for attention-seeking purposes. Perhaps even all communication can be boiled down to it. Because people first have to gain the attention of who they want to address, talk to, and communicate with. If you cannot grab attention then you have no hope for conversation.

I believe that most people want deeper conversations, about their own particular interests and values. A random person, a guy on the street, may seem abrasive and uninterested to talk to. But that's because he loves to fish, and you don't. Or another guy likes NFL and talking about his favorite team. Or some girl likes talking about makeup. Another girl like's talking about her favorite pop singer. Everybody has different interests, and therefore, priorities in conversations.

If I were to code an AI chatbot, for example, I would base algorithms on finding out such interests in particular people, and then focus on them. That makes for stimulating conversation. There is an "art to conversation" that I've discovered, after becoming forced to deal with the public. Conversations can net positive gains, or negative. Extremely extroverted people usually cause net gains on their conversations, "love talking to people". Some people talk excessively. Some people also focus on themselves, selfish and egotistically, or only talk about themselves, Arrogance.

Ultimately, talking to each-other, as humanity, decreases strangeness. The more you talk to somebody, the more you understand their character, desires, and personality. However there is a vast difference between those who engage and start conversations and dialogue, usually males, versus those who respond and react, passively, usually females. Females usually do not instigate conversations with males, because of sexual differences. And the nature of conversation is different between male-to-male, male-to-female, female-to-male, and female-to-female.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby UrGod » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

We talk because that is how we work things out, how we learn. Dialogue is disclosure of knowledge. We are always talking, either to others or to ourselves.

And freedom to dialogue as openly as possible is a prerequisite for the greatest possible amount of disclosures to occur. This is why retarded elements on both the left and the right are afraid of dialogue in certain directions and want to shut down free speech and free thought. There are truths they do not want to know or have to confront.
I am your master.
User avatar
UrGod
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Void of One

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Urwrongx1000

However it has been a great challenge in my life to meet other people, or anybody really, remotely interested in philosophy compared to myself.


lol That was funny. It must indeed be a really lonely philosophical existence for you when it comes to engaging in philosophical discussion. But you have to realize that there are many in here who are well up to the challenge (not me, of course) of making your dream come true. You just may have to come down a notch or two in your own estimation. :P

I would consider myself the #1 most interested in philosophy individual on the planet, maybe even historically.

Sometimes when I have struggled with a poem and finally finished it, I can almost think the same about poetry though of course I certainly know that is not true. But not quite the way you do. It is just the heat and passion of the moment that tells us that.

Since most people can't really match my interest, it leads to one-sided conversations where I am leading with questions and answers, most of which I've considered hundreds of times already. So it becomes very difficult to find interesting and intelligent conversations and partners, for philosophy.

Then try to squeeze absolutely new ones, fresh ones, original ones, out of your brain/mind. That alone might keep you going and you will not be so lonely for people to communicate with on a philosophical basis. Your mind to your mind - can you imagine the profound experience of that?

In general, I don't like to talk much. And I'll explain why with the next Q&A.

Can posting in a philosophy forum be considered to be similar to *talking much*? I don't know. I am just asking.



Most humans use communication, desire to talk, for attention-seeking purposes.

True, even in a philosophy forum. Obviously there has to be that desire for attention; otherwise, who would hear us, feel us?
But, I can't think that it is solely for attention People have things which they need to say, philosophically speaking, things they believe, think about, need to form within their own minds, if that made sense.
Why does it always have to be about one or the other thing. Humans are complicated creatures. It cannot just be this or that.

Perhaps even all communication can be boiled down to it. Because people first have to gain the attention of who they want to address, talk to, and communicate with. If you cannot grab attention then you have no hope for conversation.


Exactly. So one of the most important ingredients for conversation is to find those who are willing to listen, who are interested, who clearly want to listen. .. who clearly want to learn and discover.

I believe that most people want deeper conversations, about their own particular interests and values. A random person, a guy on the street, may seem abrasive and uninterested to talk to. But that's because he loves to fish, and you don't. Or another guy likes NFL and talking about his favorite team. Or some girl likes talking about makeup. Another girl like's talking about her favorite pop singer. Everybody has different interests, and therefore, priorities in conversations.


Perhaps one thing that is important and I do not mean to sound shallow, but perhaps chemistry between two people is important (I don't mean sexual chemistry). Just that there is something about this or that person which you find attractive,something just draws you to him or her, even if you do not like fishing or football or playing scrabble or talking about fashion, et cetera.



If I were to code an AI chatbot, for example, I would base algorithms on finding out such interests in particular people, and then focus on them. That makes for stimulating conversation.


Do you have the ability to do that? hahaha.
I wonder just how far you would be able to go with a person who for instance was interested in hugging trees, for instance or talking to birds or squirrels or walking in the rain when everyone else goes inside? Those things though are normal.
What about someone who likes to look up into the clouds and see the patterns in them?


There is an "art to conversation" that I've discovered, after becoming forced to deal with the public. Conversations can net positive gains, or negative. Extremely extroverted people usually cause net gains on their conversations, "love talking to people". Some people talk excessively. Some people also focus on themselves, selfish and egotistically, or only talk about themselves, Arrogance.


Well, we don't have to be *forced* to deal with the public, now do we? :evilfun:
Do you think that extremely etroverted people are narcisstic in nature, only wanting to discuss their selves?



Ultimately, talking to each-other, as humanity, decreases strangeness. The more you talk to somebody, the more you understand their character, desires, and personality.


True and this can become a very enriching thing to one. Enriches both. Human Intimacy (non-sexual) plays such a role in our physical/mental and emotional health - all the same actually rolled into rolled.
People are not always so open and desirous of revealing who they are and they have no idea of what a gift it can be to their selves.

However there is a vast difference between those who engage and start conversations and dialogue, usually males, versus those who respond and react, passively, usually females.


Hmm, is it a male female thing or is it about the individual him/her -self? There is the element of trust, of course, which takes time and needs to be earned although if one is more or less secure when one's self, that element of trust is always working inside the person. It's not blind faith how can I put it, I don't know, it's like self-affirmation.
The world can really become one's own oyster where there is trust and a desire to relate. Perhaps the universe sings when the world can come together like this. Okay I'm rambling.

Females usually do not instigate conversations with males, because of sexual differences. And the nature of conversation is different between male-to-male, male-to-female, female-to-male, and female-to-female.


I will instigate a conversation with a male Where is the problem in that. We are both a part of human kind, no?
As for the second part, of course it is. But maybe not entirely.

:evilfun:
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14784
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm

The internet is indeed like a million swirling galaxies in deep space which we will never ever ever be that prepared for.

Perhaps the real desire, reason for wanting/needing to talk to share is because at the time of the Big Bang, we were all together, swirling star stuff, surrounded by one another as we made our way through a primordial universe, ours anyway, and became the primordial soup and then eventually evolved and are still evolving...hopefully.

Perhaps we remember this on some level and so without one another, we are loneliness personified although at the same time, we absolutely more often crave our aloneness and solitude. Ah, to have the best of both worlds.

Just my musings.
:P
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14784
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A snowy dark luminous landscape bathed in solitude

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Then try to squeeze absolutely new ones, fresh ones, original ones, out of your brain/mind. That alone might keep you going and you will not be so lonely for people to communicate with on a philosophical basis. Your mind to your mind - can you imagine the profound experience of that?

Profound insights should not be shared openly, do not cast pearls before swine. If there are people truly and enthusiastically interested in philosophy, then they will rise to the top of the hierarchy, over time. Philosophy is a very constrained social endeavor and rare ability. The few people in the world who are philosophical, or philosophers, will appear over time. This is not to be confused with Academics and college professors, who "study philosophy" but themselves are not philosophers. To be a philosopher, is unique and rare. It is a genuine interest, therefore a genuine nature and state of spirituality, that this or that individual is a philosopher. Wise men, of the ages.

Wisdom is shared between philosophers through the ages in texts, more classically and popularly known. Philosophers don't necessarily "connect" with contemporaries of their own time, because of how far removed and advanced a philosopher can be, compared to the modern people. It's like an NFL quarterback winning the superbowl. He then cannot have a very fulfilling time playing with amateurs or even the lesser of professionals. When you get closer to the top, fewer and fewer (dialogues) will be interesting or inspiring.

For example, can you link me a few threads of your own that are deep, profound, or interesting? Your own philosophies?


Arcturus Descending wrote:Perhaps one thing that is important and I do not mean to sound shallow, but perhaps chemistry between two people is important (I don't mean sexual chemistry). Just that there is something about this or that person which you find attractive,something just draws you to him or her, even if you do not like fishing or football or playing scrabble or talking about fashion, et cetera.

It can be a sexual chemistry. Philosophy, among males, is more often competitive instead, increasing male fitness and appeal.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Do you have the ability to do that? hahaha.
I wonder just how far you would be able to go with a person who for instance was interested in hugging trees, for instance or talking to birds or squirrels or walking in the rain when everyone else goes inside? Those things though are normal.
What about someone who likes to look up into the clouds and see the patterns in them?

It would be easy.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Well, we don't have to be *forced* to deal with the public, now do we? :evilfun:
Do you think that extremely etroverted people are narcisstic in nature, only wanting to discuss their selves?

Most extroverts are egotistical and selfish. Narcissism can be expressed by extroverts or introverts.


Arcturus Descending wrote:True and this can become a very enriching thing to one. Enriches both. Human Intimacy (non-sexual) plays such a role in our physical/mental and emotional health - all the same actually rolled into rolled.
People are not always so open and desirous of revealing who they are and they have no idea of what a gift it can be to their selves.

Philosophy tends toward intimacy because a philosopher, who wants to explore the world, and therefore people within it, will reveal the secrets, thoughts, desires, and depth that most people want to lock away and keep private. Philosophy is very much against privacy insofar as examining the 'truth' of people. All is revealed and exposed to a proficient and honed philosopher. There would be nothing you can hide. Intimacy is then implied.

You are naked to the eyes of a philosopher, every thought, feeling, dream, inspiration, value, laid out on a table in full. Completely deconstructed. All your parts are known.


Arcturus Descending wrote:I will instigate a conversation with a male Where is the problem in that. We are both a part of human kind, no?
As for the second part, of course it is. But maybe not entirely.

:evilfun:

This thread was, almost certainly, started by a male. You, a female, are responding, and therefore confirming my thesis. You did not start this thread. And could you even? Can you even begin and create similar threads that provoke interesting thoughts and dialogues? Can you, as a woman, become a leader? The odds are against you. How many threads on this forum are started by males? The stats speak for themselves.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby surreptitious57 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Arc wrote:
Can posting in a philosophy forum be considered to be similar to talking much

No. Talking is the involuntary movement of the lips which usually involves spontaneous thought so is the least intellectually demanding form of communication
Posting on a philosophy forum [ or indeed any forum for that matter ] requires logical thinking and correct grammar. So it is therefore a more demanding form
of communication. One is usually posting alone from ones computer so there is no social aspect to it either. I have no problem with this form for I am a recluse
who keeps himself to himself. So I like reading and writing words much more than I like speaking them. I cannot avoid not speaking at all but I try to keep it to
an absolute minimum. I also much prefer listening to talking but prefer being alone most of all
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 pm

#-o Males outnumber females on philosophy sites, so of course there are going to be more threads started by males.

Why state the obvious, males post more threads, as if it answers a secret unknown?

Most philosophers on the loco sites state a great deal of the obvious, redundancy, but in their minds they are uncovering something hidden, why is that?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:06 pm

WendyDarling wrote:#-o Males outnumber females on philosophy sites, so of course there are going to be more threads started by males.

Why state the obvious, males post more threads, as if it answers a secret unknown?

Most philosophers on the loco sites state a great deal of the obvious, redundancy, but in their minds they are uncovering something hidden, why is that?

You're not digging deep enough, as per usual.

Why is philosophy, or hard sciences, 100 males to 1 female ratio?

Why are soldiers in war 10,000 males to 1 female ratio?

Isn't it obvious that gender, sex, accounts for these discrepancies? Because it is beneficial, natural, or even necessary for such males to do so, or be so interested? And with females, why so little, relatively, interest? If existence applies to all organisms, male and female alike, then why are females so uninterested in examining and exploring existence? Could it be, that all the 'negative', 'bad', and 'evil' aspects of existence, are shielded and protected, away from females, by males? And that it may serve no great interest, or purpose, for females to engage as such?

Or that there ought to be a female NFL quarterback. Nobody thinks this. Nobody considers it. The possibility strikes no one. Yet we dance around these observations as if they're nothing. But they're everything. And you're ignoring the fact.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 pm

And isn't it also obvious, for females, to have different priorities in life, namely, to mate, bear children, give birth, and nurture them? Isn't that also the natural and necessary component of a woman's life? So where would that leave priorities, such as war or philosophy, on the list of most women?

I'm not saying it cannot be done. Don't misconstrue or misinterpret me. What I'm saying, is that any great exception doesn't prove what you want it to.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Thought Experiment for Wendy:

Let's imagine for a moment, that it were necessary for all women on earth, to have at least one child. What would that then mean for earth, humanity, and nature? Would things become problematic? Would they change a lot? Or isn't it most obvious, that things would remain relatively the same, since that's what women do anyway? Is it a choice? Should it be a choice? Don't instincts already determine these answers, and that when the time comes, you obey instincts, and cling to whomever attracts you most?

Modern humanity wants to deny instinct and nature, so much, to prove political points. To be relevant in a 'liberal' environment. "Look at me, deny my nature, and die for social justice, am I not righteous and saintly? Shan't I be remembered and heralded forever? Am I not a martyr?"

It's unimpressive. There's a vast difference between denying nature, and embracing nature. There's nothing wrong with women having children. In fact there may even be something right with it.
Urwrongx1000
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Women becoming educated in mass is relatively new, still not found worldwide. Woman holding a variety of jobs...is relatively new as well. Why are you in denial of these facts that little more than a hundred years ago, illiterate woman were trapped in their houses knocked up with 10 illiterate kids to look after. Half of the men were illiterate or had only up to a forth grade education.

I'm giving woman time to acclimate themselves to a richer reality where they are no longer openly held back from becoming all they can be. Change takes time to spread. Men have fucked over our world and its resources for over ten thousand years, women deserve a few hundred to reign in all your craziness.

For every bobble-headed woman there will be a smart, no-nonsense, competent woman eventually. Hey, you men knock up dumdums based on their looks, killing your hopes of reproducing scientists of either gender in your dumdum families. Men, who are supposedly superior, are dumbing down their offspring based on chicks who make their dicks hard, rather than romancing women with brains who can wear more makeup to cover their fugliness. :lol:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Thought Experiment for Wendy:

Let's imagine for a moment, that it were necessary for all women on earth, to have at least one child. What would that then mean for earth, humanity, and nature? Would things become problematic? Would they change a lot? Or isn't it most obvious, that things would remain relatively the same, since that's what women do anyway? Is it a choice? Should it be a choice? Don't instincts already determine these answers, and that when the time comes, you obey instincts, and cling to whomever attracts you most?

Modern humanity wants to deny instinct and nature, so much, to prove political points. To be relevant in a 'liberal' environment. "Look at me, deny my nature, and die for social justice, am I not righteous and saintly? Shan't I be remembered and heralded forever? Am I not a martyr?"

It's unimpressive. There's a vast difference between denying nature, and embracing nature. There's nothing wrong with women having children. In fact there may even be something right with it.

One child per woman, a decline in the current population. Would what things become problematic...specify? We need a decline in the population.

Should it be a choice? Don't instincts already determine these answers, and that when the time comes, you obey instincts, and cling to whomever attracts you most?

A recipe for the disaster we are already in. It's time for people to start making smarter decisions. Looking before leaping.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Pandora » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 pm

I want to say the desire is in the context of problem solving, though ideally men do and women talk (should be less talking and more doing for men).

So why do men like to talk? To sound smart, to express their feelings (yes, even under guise of doing philosophy...that's you Autsider), to socially bond with other men, and to get different insights/info. Some men are not loved or are generally ignored, so they 'invent' ways to draw some extra attention to themselves, and these ways can be rather creative indeed. These are usually the clowns or drama queens too. Also one of men's apparent needs is validation, either through actions or social interactions (those things, though are usually done in a self-reflective manner, that is, a man will create a certain standard and try to hold himself up to it). Although you might see a man who doesn't give a shit about anything or anyone (apathy), I don't think that is a mans natural tendency. His natural tendency would be to be more involved in the environment and engage it. And it is healthy for a man to have a goal because it facilitates the flow of his energies.
Anyway, women usually talk to express their feelings and share information. And bond with other women.
User avatar
Pandora
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3790
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Ward 6

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 pm

Women talk because they want others to solve their problems.
Men don't because they want to solve their problems on their own.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:50 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:Women talk because they want others to solve their problems.
Men don't because they want to solve their problems on their own.

Men need to solve the problems they created...yes...on their own so they can learn from their mistakes since they are way more pigheaded than women.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:56 pm

I think it's widely accepted that man=reason and woman=emotion.
How can you say that men are more pigheaded than women?
I agree Joker is more pigheaded than women but he's not a good representation of men in general.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 am

One easy example, when men are lost, they won't ask for directions. In general, men hate asking for help which borders on psychosis. Yes, you want to solve your own problems but by being pigheaded your problems often spill over into other people's lives causing unnecessary hardships.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 pm

MA,

Women ask for help to get problems solved, I'll agree with that. I think that is because women are more practical and efficient than men. While a man would rather struggle to accomplish a goal on his own over a longer duration of time, a woman is like...what's the quickest way we can get this done right because I have a ton of other things to do. A man, on the other hand, will fiddle faddle with the problem alone into infinity.

Men tinker.
Women organize...streamline.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby surreptitious57 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Wendy wrote:
A man on the other hand will fiddle faddle with the problem alone into infinity

That is because we have to seriously think about how to solve it before anything else can be done

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:05 am

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:46 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Wendy wrote:
A man on the other hand will fiddle faddle with the problem alone into infinity

That is because we have to seriously think about how to solve it before anything else can be done

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D


Unfortunately.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 5994
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby James S Saint » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 am

WendyDarling wrote:MA,

Women ask for help to get problems solved, I'll agree with that. I think that is because women are more practical and efficient than men. While a man would rather struggle to accomplish a goal on his own over a longer duration of time, a woman is like...what's the quickest way we can get this done right because I have a ton of other things to do. A man, on the other hand, will fiddle faddle with the problem alone into infinity.

Men tinker.
Women organize...streamline.

Seriously?

Men hesitate to do many things that women might very willingly do and for one simple reason:
Throughout history, men have been very willing to feel, think, and even say, "She is merely a delicate, disadvantaged female. I should bend and help her out." Women throughout history have craved for and depended upon such. Women are very accustom to being treated a certain way. When they display serious ignorance, foolishness, and naivety, men forgive them and attempt to compensate for their pathetic needs. The real truth is that such is the very nature of evolution's command. Without the female being so helpless and the male being willing to compensate, the human race would not exist.

The end result of that, among many other concerns, is that males do not expect forgiveness from other people for their weaknesses. They correctly assume that other people will disrespect them for not knowing what perhaps "everyone should already know" or not being able to do what "everyone should be able to do" (unless female). Women live in a state of male forgiveness. Other women quite often see the issue more realistically and scorn women more accurately than men. But in our current age of accentuating weakness and promoting dependence and frivolous aspirations (all for a purpose), the common Media presents the image that the female's inherent weakness is a strength and a good thing, and merely because males fall for it, "what suckers men are".

So yes, males tend to hesitate to ask for directions. Why? Because they are still trying to not be meek, helpless females and rather instead, be contributors to a stronger, more self-reliant society or group (thus anti-socialist).

Even weak pathetic men (stereo-typical gay men) have trouble contradicting their inherent urge to be a man. Females seldom comprehend the difference. Although for such naivety and blindness, women are regularly forgiven .. because of their natural helplessness (not so much gay men).

Woman, don't cross the line with me. Don't even think about it.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25297
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Why do people have the desire to talk?

Postby Magnus Anderson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 am

I don't mind asking for help. The reason I generally don't is because people generally do not want to help.

Whenever I am weak, I will certainly seek out help. However, if I realize that there is noone out there who can and who is willing to help then I will have no choice but to accept my fate.

There is, however, a breed of men who, unable to accept the reality that other people do not want to offer help, came up with a theory according to which people actually want to help it's just that they have degenerated to a lower state of being from which they have to be rescued.

Their desire (to receive help) overpowers their reason (the obvious fact that they won't receive any help.)

It makes them feel better because they don't have to mentally process the consequences of the fact that there is simply noone out there who is willing to help.

And I think that women have a similar mentality, if this is not a feminine mentality itself.

They do not merely ask for help.
They expect and demand to receive help.
And when they don't, they get angry.
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
User avatar
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users