The meaning of life?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

The meaning of life?

Postby skakos » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:50 pm

A rather simple question, but the most difficult of them all: What is the meaning of life? I prefer the answer of Rilke: The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.

What do you think?
~ ἔστι γὰρ εἶναι, μηδὲν δ΄ οὐκ ἔστιν

The Limits of Science http://harmonia-philosophica.blogspot.gr/2010/08/limits-of-science.html
Religion and Science Unification http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/religion-and-science-unification/
skakos

Re: The meaning of life?

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:20 am

Purpose of life is super-easy to define:

Whatever causes more people to decide to live when suicide is as easy as possible, by definition has more purpose for living, than if more people commit suicide under those same conditions.

That's how to objectively measure more or less purpose for life in any system. The details are usually intuitive/obvious too... no disease being a big one for example.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:53 am

skakos wrote:A rather simple question, but the most difficult of them all: What is the meaning of life? I prefer the answer of Rilke: The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.

What do you think?

Skakos ... the question you pose is appealing ... the quote you shared as well.

Rilke's words suggest a meaningful life must be a struggle ... agree/disagree?

Ancient Chinese Mythology ... "Failure is the mother of success" ... inferred in Rilke's words? ... agree/disagree?

Failure.jpg
Failure.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Begs the question ... Why are so few people attracted to the question?

too many people accept the role of monkeys offered bananas in a cage, surrendering the struggling to escape it.

Do you find the above quote relevant?
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby skakos » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Ecmandu wrote:Purpose of life is super-easy to define:

Whatever causes more people to decide to live when suicide is as easy as possible, by definition has more purpose for living, than if more people commit suicide under those same conditions.

That's how to objectively measure more or less purpose for life in any system. The details are usually intuitive/obvious too... no disease being a big one for example.

Judging from the increasing number of people who commit suicide, modern civilization seems to have lost the meaning of life...
~ ἔστι γὰρ εἶναι, μηδὲν δ΄ οὐκ ἔστιν

The Limits of Science http://harmonia-philosophica.blogspot.gr/2010/08/limits-of-science.html
Religion and Science Unification http://harmoniaphilosophica.wordpress.com/religion-and-science-unification/
skakos

Postby SolWarrior » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:28 am

^ This might be because overmodenization of civilization is depriving human life of valuable things like maximizing quality of experience. The exploitation and the false illusion that material things are most important is making people go down a spiral of unhappiness.
SolWarrior

Postby Kathrina » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:33 am

LOOK HERE.
Kathrina

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm

skakos wrote:A rather simple question, but the most difficult of them all: What is the meaning of life? I prefer the answer of Rilke: The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.

What do you think?

I love Rilke. He also said...

“Extinguish my eyes, I'll go on seeing you.
Seal my ears, I'll go on hearing you.
And without feet I can make my way to you,
without a mouth I can swear your name.

Break off my arms, I'll take hold of you
with my heart as with a hand.
Stop my heart, and my brain will start to beat.
And if you consume my brain with fire,
I'll feel you burn in every drop of my blood.”
― Rainer Maria Rilke

Gives me shivers.
Beautiful - for some it might seem romantic.

For me, I take it that he was addressing life.

Doesn't appear to be as nihilistic as your quote would have him. But then again, I may be wrong here.

It might all depend on how we handle being defeated by greater and greater things.

Do we rise up, sword in hand, and attempt to cut off the head of that beast OR face off with that fortuitous moment, seizing the moment, depending on how we view it, or do we wallow in self-pity, allowing Life to get the better of us?

...and this...rise up like the phoenix...

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”
― Rainer Maria Rilke

Ah...
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 am

skakos

What do you think?

It is a simple question that can be difficult to answer. Living obviously holds a greater part to the meaning. Once living is met then Rilke it seems has an idea on what to do next: The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things - to which I would reply: When living is met then the purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things. Provided that these greater things do not kill us then possibly we are strengthened by that resolve - kind of like how a tree lives - it is stronger as it gets older until it meets the threshold of its living totality . . . all for something . . . not for nothing . . .

:-k
    - Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. (2017) -
    encode_decode
    Thinker

Postby humunculus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 am

An even simpler question: What is the meaning of garlic?
    The only thing people defend more fiercely than their illusion is their denial.
    humunculus

Postby encode_decode » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 am

Answers to life's greatest questions . . . could possibly be found in garlic . . .

humunculus wrote:An even simpler question: What is the meaning of garlic?

I am certain that if thought about for long enough, one could work it out.

:D

Perhaps the purpose of garlic is to be defeated by greater and greater Allium.
        encode_decode
        Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm

humunculus wrote:An even simpler question: What is the meaning of garlic?

Humunculus

Welcome back. It's so good to *see* you in here. Where have you been? You needn't answer that.

the meaning of garlic is a longer life. Garlic = less vampires. lol o/k
        Really, good to see you.
        SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

Postby Erik_ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:18 pm

The meaning of Life is to know God through His son Jesus Christ.

For those who existed before Jesus' incarnation, the ways of Christ were written in their hearts. Everyman knows right from wrong and that love is the true path.

Our purpose here on Earth is to reunite with God through Jesus Christ and to manifest love to other people. We love other people by sharing the Truth of Jesus with them and by helping and comforting them in their distress.
        Erik_
        Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:02 pm

What do you think?

This a fantastic phrase, in any case.
        A very noble type of meaning.
        Before the Light

The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
        - Thucydides
        Fixed Cross
        Doric Usurper

Postby Serendipper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:01 am

The meaning of life is a Germanic word that differentiates plants and animals from the inorganic.

The purpose of life is to fight entropy.

Life is simply the universe's way of returning order from disorder.

In 1964, James Lovelock was among a group of scientists who were requested by NASA to make a theoretical life detection system to look for life on Mars during the upcoming space mission. When thinking about this problem, Lovelock wondered “how can we be sure that Martian life, if any, will reveal itself to tests based on Earth’s lifestyle?”[8] To Lovelock, the basic question was “What is life, and how should it be recognized?” When speaking about this issue with some of his colleagues at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, he was asked what he would do to look for life on Mars. To this, Lovelock replied:

I’d look for an entropy reduction, since this must be a general characteristic of life.[8]

Thus, according to Lovelock, to find signs of life, one must look for a “reduction or a reversal of entropy.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_a ... ve_entropy
        Serendipper

Postby Serendipper » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:12 am

skakos wrote:The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.

What do you think?

I don't like it. The goal of life can't be the seeking of defeat; defeat is an unintended consequence brought on by a miscalculation.

I also don't like the offshoot, "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger." Rubbish. What doesn't kill you only leaves you half-dead or else getting hit by buses would be considered a good exercise routine. Choose your scar-tissue well.
        Serendipper

Return to Philosophy