Are you a racist?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Urwrongx1000


Because most or all of the "anti-racists" go on and on about how tragic and guilty people ought to be for racism, yet they are racists themselves.


I think that I can probably agree with this. We don't like our imperfections so we avoid looking at them honestly. We like to see ourselves as *above all of that*. I can sometimes see it in myself. That is why I wrote the below:

We all have our biases. I am quite aware of mine. Anyone, for the moment, without being fully conscious of who they are and what their feelings and thoughts are, might begin to succumb to some form of racism in the moment because of some dynamic. I suppose that might be part of the instinct to survive ~ maybe. But generally, the non-racist judges the INDIVIDUAL based on what he or she has done, not based on the color of their skin.


On some level, on a conscious level, many may realize that *black skin* or *dark skin* or any color skin really has nothing to do with how a person ought to be treated or perceived. They may realize that we are, in a sense, all created equal, even though on other levels obviously, we have different talents, gifts, et cetera, which make some of us more superior and others more inferior insofar as those talents and gifts are concerned. Perhaps we ought not to even think in terms of superior and inferior. We were all born with different talents and tools.


So it's not about "racism" exactly. It's about duplicity.


It could be about both IF the party knows he/she is racist and tries to hide behind *virtue*.
Perhaps if the duplicity is unconscious, then can it really be *duplicity*? Just a question.

It's about the advantage some people get from making others guilty for racism, but themselves, enjoy the benefits and privileges of "being racist".


This can be true. Wanting/needing to appear virtuous might be the intention.
Did you mean to say "being racist" or "not being racist"?


Preferring one's own kind is the first step. It can be good or bad, given the context.


I've always had a question of whether or not that can actually be seen as *racist*? Perhaps it really depends on one's motives and intentions for preferring one's own kind? If that made sense. Perhaps it's just part of human evolution and force of habit? Perhaps it's peer pressure or fear of being judged or just simply unconscious human indoctrination. #-o But is it actually racist? I think that one would have to know the individual and see where they are coming from to answer that.


Would you turn your child, spouse, parent, or family member in for a crime?


Honestly, I hope I would never have to answer that question. Anyway, what does that have to do with racism?

How about a serious crime? To what degree of loyalty and "care" do average people demonstrate toward family, and then toward race?


How about the human race? What's the crime?

I understand if these questions frighten and scare you, keep you up all night.


But they don't. But it's a good thing to ponder them ~ to see how the virus of racism influences and touches us in ways we may not even be aware of.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14945
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Gloominary » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Everybody is racist, if a person who looks like this:

Image

walks by, you're automatically going to make certain assumptions about him whether you like it or not, like he's Asian, and either speaks an Asian language, or who has recent ancestors who do.
If he told you he's from Algeria, speaks Arabic and practices Islam, you'd be very surprised.
So the real question is, how racist are you?
Consumerism is sin.
User avatar
Gloominary
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

How many races are their for this buzz word is getting on my nerves? I thought one race, human. Many ethnicities instead of many races, please.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6327
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby James S Saint » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Assessing or noting a race is not racism. Racism is judging, usually pre-judging, "prejudice". But most basically racism is about ignoring more relevant issues (qualifications) in favor of judging simply by race. But then interestingly, when the issue of race actually IS the most relevant issue at hand, judging by race is no longer racism.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25782
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Do you have any children, Wrong?

Why, are you offering me an opportunity?


Arcturus Descending wrote:I think that I can probably agree with this. We don't like our imperfections so we avoid looking at them honestly. We like to see ourselves as *above all of that*. I can sometimes see it in myself. That is why I wrote the below:

We all have our biases. I am quite aware of mine. Anyone, for the moment, without being fully conscious of who they are and what their feelings and thoughts are, might begin to succumb to some form of racism in the moment because of some dynamic. I suppose that might be part of the instinct to survive ~ maybe. But generally, the non-racist judges the INDIVIDUAL based on what he or she has done, not based on the color of their skin.

Yes, modern people "judge the individual", or so they say. However to what degree do individual actions reflect society, and society reflect individuals? In other words, are you or are you not representative of your own kind, your own race, your own family, for example? Modern people want to claim that children are "other than" their parents and lineage. All of a sudden, an "individual" is separated, magically, and no longer represents others?

You can't have it both ways. Individuals reflect society when they do something good, but don't when they do something bad? That's the common thought process.

People want to be acknowledge, accepted, and admired by social groups when they do something good, but bad things ignored. This applies racially too.


Arcturus Descending wrote:On some level, on a conscious level, many may realize that *black skin* or *dark skin* or any color skin really has nothing to do with how a person ought to be treated or perceived. They may realize that we are, in a sense, all created equal, even though on other levels obviously, we have different talents, gifts, et cetera, which make some of us more superior and others more inferior insofar as those talents and gifts are concerned. Perhaps we ought not to even think in terms of superior and inferior. We were all born with different talents and tools.

Nobody is equal, ever. And that's a good thing. You and I are not equal.


Arcturus Descending wrote:It could be about both IF the party knows he/she is racist and tries to hide behind *virtue*.
Perhaps if the duplicity is unconscious, then can it really be *duplicity*? Just a question.

Most "racism" happens on a subconscious level, and people don't realize they're being "racist", usually to their own benefit.


Arcturus Descending wrote:This can be true. Wanting/needing to appear virtuous might be the intention.
Did you mean to say "being racist" or "not being racist"?

"Being racist", preferring your own kind, is not bad nor wrong, and quite natural and instinctive. You seek out your own kind in life. If you were to travel to foreign nations and continents, feeling alone and strange, lost, meeting hostile or dangerous people, you would feel much safer and more comfortable with your own ilk. It's only in highly privileged, luxurious, first world contexts and countries, with severe indoctrination, that a myriad of rainbow-people live peacefully with each-other. It depends on the environment and whether your ethnic group is the majority or minority of a population.


Arcturus Descending wrote:I've always had a question of whether or not that can actually be seen as *racist*? Perhaps it really depends on one's motives and intentions for preferring one's own kind? If that made sense. Perhaps it's just part of human evolution and force of habit? Perhaps it's peer pressure or fear of being judged or just simply unconscious human indoctrination. #-o But is it actually racist? I think that one would have to know the individual and see where they are coming from to answer that.

What's "racist" to one person is not to another, tolerance thresholds and intelligence matter. "Racism" is a new world ideology and modern technology, used to control populations and dictate social orders. The ones crying out "racism!" are usually the pawns and instruments for the core ideology. People are paying into a system. Racism can be used to suppress minority groups when one population threatens another, or also threatens to take control of resources.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Honestly, I hope I would never have to answer that question. Anyway, what does that have to do with racism?

Because "racism" is a crime, in some ways, legally.


Arcturus Descending wrote:How about the human race? What's the crime?

There are "crimes against humanity" and "human rights" developing, in modern times, legally, as well.


Arcturus Descending wrote:But they don't. But it's a good thing to ponder them ~ to see how the virus of racism influences and touches us in ways we may not even be aware of.

Oh I see.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Gloominary » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Sometimes the boundaries between a race and other races is clear cut, othertimes it's murky, open to interpretation, there's a lot of overlap.
It depends on how isolated the race in question has been, and for how long.
We can base our racial classifications on phenotype and morphology, and/or on genetics.
We can be haphazard about it, or methodical, systematic.
Here's how renowned Italian geneticist Cavalli-Sforza divvied them up:
This diagram is in German, but even if you don't know German, you should still be able to figure it out.

Image

As you can see, the two primary races are sub-Saharan Africans (a geographic term, AKA Blacks, AKA Negroids) and everyone else, everyone else splitting off from Negroids about 120 000 years ago.
They can be further subdivided until you end up with about 38 subraces.
The next major division occurs about 80 000 years ago, between Caucasians (Europeans, Arabs, Indians...), North East Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese...) and Native Americans on the one hand, who subsequently split up a little later, and Australian Aborigines, South East Asians (Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysians...) and Pacific Islanders (Hawaiians, Maori, Samoans) on the other hand, who likewise split up a little later.
And so race, if you consider the work of geneticists like Cavalli Sforza, althou he didn't use the word race, I think he semantically used the term population group instead, is a lot messier than folk classifications, or the work of many racialists predating genetics, who often recognized just 3-5 races, like Negroids, Caucasians and Mongoloids, and who often believed they split up at the same time, to the same degree.
Consumerism is sin.
User avatar
Gloominary
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Gloominary » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 pm

The word race is somewhat ambiguous, but just about any word is.
The word continent is ambiguous, where does one begin/end, why should they begin/end at all?
Where does one language begin/end, there's so much overlap.
How many words and pronunciations do two languages have to have in common before they're regarded as the same language?

The word species is more well defined in conventional science, the word race, as far as I know, is seldom used, seldom used arguably purely for sociopolitical reasons.
We can, however, redefine the word for ourselves, or me for myself and whoever will listen.

If we were to define race as two population groups within a species diverging over 100 000 years ago, than looking at Cavalli Sforza's data, there would only be two races, Negroids, and everyone else.
Yea, while it may seem counter-intuitive, according to this geneticist, two groups as seemingly disparate as Caucasians and Polynesians share more in common genetically than Caucasians and Negroids or Polynesians and Negroids...but when you think about it, it kind of makes sense, purebred Negroids are very different looking (keep in mind we're not talking about the mostly hybrid Mulattos of the Americas).

However, we could draw the line elsewhere, say any population group that roughly broke up roughly 50 000 years ago or earlier.
That would give us roughly races, Australian Aborigines, Papuans, South East Asians/Pacific Islanders, Native Americans, North East Asians, Caucasians, East Africans and every other Negroid.
To be honest neither one of these two definitions of race I just conjured is entirely satisfying to me, but if we want to be as consistent, as objective as we can be about the word race, we have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise our classification scheme becomes more inconsistent, subjective, intuitive and artistic in nature...which's fine if you want to be that way.
Consumerism is sin.
User avatar
Gloominary
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Gloominary » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:42 am

Ah, here we are, I will draw the line at 60 000 years ago.
So a race is any population group that diverged approximately 60 000 years ago or earlier, which's half as old as the first great divergence, the first one being between Negroids and everyone else, or Africans and post-Africans, or Intrafricans and Exafricans, however you want to put it.
Any divergence that took place after that would be at best a subrace.
So that would give us five races: Negroids, Caucasians, Northern Mongoloids/Native Americans, Southern Mongoloids/Pacific Islanders and Papuans/Australian Aborigines.
So Europeans then would be just a subrace of Caucasians, along with Berbers, Arabs, Iranians, Basques/Sardinians, Indians, Dravidians and Lapps.
Consumerism is sin.
User avatar
Gloominary
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Today it's mostly about politics, word games, and semantics. The liberal-left want to control the dialogue regarding race. As I mentioned a few times already, it is in the best interest of the "racist" to accuse others of racism, blaming others, throwing guilt around, while he or herself enjoys the benefits and rewards of "being a racist". In terms of the "racial realist", racism merely means preferring your own kin(d) before others. By definition, preferring your own kind would make you a conservative-rightest in the modern world. Liberal-leftists don't want segregation, people forming their own socially and culturally exclusive groups, especially built on race. This is why liberal-leftists purposefully injected black children into white schools in the Southern States. Their intentions may or may not have been pure or honest.

The premise of liberal-leftism is Blank Slate Theory, that "all humans are created equal" and "with the right education" then "anybody can become anything". This sounds good, doesn't it? It sounds noble. And it sounds like anti-victimization. Nobody has anybody else to blame, except themselves, for failure. However, unfortunately, the average liberal-leftist contradicts his and her own political premise. Liberalism has fallen into the trap of Victimhood, and "who is the biggest victim" of society. Today, in the 2010s, the logic goes that whomever is the biggest victim is also most deserving of social praise, reinforcement, popularity, and political backing. Much of this comes from the hatred of white patriarchy, european identity, and "anti-nazism". Neo-liberals are "nazi-hunters", obsessed with fascism, dictatorship, and authoritarianism.

The psychological premise for modern leftism and neo-liberalism is a "daddy-complex" quite simply, a severe lack of childhood discipline, a weak or absent father figure. This neo-liberalism and modern leftism, put together, create this vile and depraved sense of "racism". If you're a "racist" then you're eviiiiiiiiiiil. You're scum. You're the rot of society.

This causes severe sociosomatic affects throughout society and culture, because it is inherently a contradiction. How can an individual be "eviiiiiil" for preferring his or her own kind, his or her own children? Are there degrees of "racism", or is it absolute? The "race realists" claim there are degrees of racism. The average liberal-leftist, the neo-liberal, uses it as an absolute distinction. You are racist, therefore evil, therefore there shall be no dialogue or honesty from the onset. No discussion.

It's shameful, really, and appeals to the most simple-minded throughout society.


There will be no "cure for racism" or "helping humanity", like mentioned in the thread, at the very least, until YOU can provide solid definitions and frameworks for what is meant by race and "racism". Race-realism is a middle-ground. Because racial differences are too obvious to defy common sense. Everybody recognizes black and white skin on the visceral level. The neo-liberal answer is to race-mix and miscegenate until the world is one color. Impractical, and defiant of nature. An artifice, an abstract and unrealistic ideology. Perhaps somewhat feasible in the new world, with severe indoctrination, but not in the old world, where tradition and conservative values reign supreme.

In the old world, Europa, Arabia, China, India, there is no breeding outside your line. If you commit "racial crimes" and aggression, marrying a 'lower' race, then you are excluded from the center of society and culture. Marrying 'up' in race is somewhat acceptable.

Excuse me..........that's enough "racism" for one day?
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby James S Saint » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:Today it's mostly about politics, word games, and semantics. The liberal-left want to control the dialogue regarding race. As I mentioned a few times already, it is in the best interest of the "racist" to accuse others of racism, blaming others, throwing guilt around, while he or herself enjoys the benefits and rewards of "being a racist". In terms of the "racial realist", racism merely means preferring your own kin(d) before others. By definition, preferring your own kind would make you a conservative-rightest in the modern world. Liberal-leftists don't want segregation, people forming their own socially and culturally exclusive groups, especially built on race. This is why liberal-leftists purposefully injected black children into white schools in the Southern States. Their intentions may or may not have been pure or honest.

The premise of liberal-leftism is Blank Slate Theory, that "all humans are created equal" and "with the right education" then "anybody can become anything". This sounds good, doesn't it? It sounds noble. And it sounds like anti-victimization. Nobody has anybody else to blame, except themselves, for failure. However, unfortunately, the average liberal-leftist contradicts his and her own political premise. Liberalism has fallen into the trap of Victimhood, and "who is the biggest victim" of society. Today, in the 2010s, the logic goes that whomever is the biggest victim is also most deserving of social praise, reinforcement, popularity, and political backing. Much of this comes from the hatred of white patriarchy, european identity, and "anti-nazism". Neo-liberals are "nazi-hunters", obsessed with fascism, dictatorship, and authoritarianism.

The psychological premise for modern leftism and neo-liberalism is a "daddy-complex" quite simply, a severe lack of childhood discipline, a weak or absent father figure. This neo-liberalism and modern leftism, put together, create this vile and depraved sense of "racism". If you're a "racist" then you're eviiiiiiiiiiil. You're scum. You're the rot of society.

This causes severe sociosomatic affects throughout society and culture, because it is inherently a contradiction. How can an individual be "eviiiiiil" for preferring his or her own kind, his or her own children? Are there degrees of "racism", or is it absolute? The "race realists" claim there are degrees of racism. The average liberal-leftist, the neo-liberal, uses it as an absolute distinction. You are racist, therefore evil, therefore there shall be no dialogue or honesty from the onset. No discussion.

It's shameful, really, and appeals to the most simple-minded throughout society.


There will be no "cure for racism" or "helping humanity", like mentioned in the thread, at the very least, until YOU can provide solid definitions and frameworks for what is meant by race and "racism". Race-realism is a middle-ground. Because racial differences are too obvious to defy common sense. Everybody recognizes black and white skin on the visceral level. The neo-liberal answer is to race-mix and miscegenate until the world is one color. Impractical, and defiant of nature. An artifice, an abstract and unrealistic ideology. Perhaps somewhat feasible in the new world, with severe indoctrination, but not in the old world, where tradition and conservative values reign supreme.

In the old world, Europa, Arabia, China, India, there is no breeding outside your line. If you commit "racial crimes" and aggression, marrying a 'lower' race, then you are excluded from the center of society and culture. Marrying 'up' in race is somewhat acceptable.

Excuse me..........that's enough "racism" for one day?

Although a bit superficial (there is even more going on underground) and because it was worded correctly, that post is not incorrect.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25782
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Gloominary wrote:Everybody is racist, if a person who looks like this:

Image

walks by, you're automatically going to make certain assumptions about him whether you like it or not, like he's Asian, and either speaks an Asian language, or who has recent ancestors who do.
If he told you he's from Algeria, speaks Arabic and practices Islam, you'd be very surprised.
So the real question is, how racist are you?


So, why the question, based on the image of that man? I don't get it.

Did you post the above on December 8, 1941?
Then, I might kind of understand.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14945
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Urwrongx1000"

Do you have any children, Wrong?

Why, are you offering me an opportunity?


But would the opportunity be yours or would it be your child waiting in the wings somewhere?
Anyway, I think that 10 are enough.


.... But generally, the non-racist judges the INDIVIDUAL based on what he or she has done, not based on the color of their skin[/b].

Yes, modern people "judge the individual", or so they say.

Who was speaking *modern*? Generally speaking, a fair-minded, ethical, conscious person will try to remember to only judge the INDIVIDUAL, not a whole group or race of people.


However to what degree do individual actions reflect society, and society reflect individuals?


I wouldn't even hazard a guess here.
Wouldn't you necessarily have to *see* that specific individual and his society in order to answer that question?
One size does not fit all.


Anyway In other words, are you or are you not representative of your own kind, your own race, your own family, for example?

I love words, I love books, I love poetry, I love music. i have auburn hair and green eyes so I suppose I might be representative of both the Irish and the Italian. :lol: Aside from the, I am my own kind.
But there are ways in which I am completely different than they are.


Modern people want to claim that children are "other than" their parents and lineage.


There are two sides to that coin. We are both but don't you think that it is a good thing to teach our children that they are also other than we are? Would I really want to be like my mother?
On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.


All of a sudden, an "individual" is separated, magically, and no longer represents others?


I find value in coming from my ancestors, having their blood (in a sense) surging through me, their history being a part of mine, et cetera. At the same time, I am me.

You can't have it both ways. Individuals reflect society when they do something good, but don't when they do something bad? That's the common thought process.


I don't quite think this way.
Anyway, I am a part of society but I am also my own unique self. I don't think that I judge myself, who I am, by what society does or does not do, good or bad, as a whole. I judge myself according to my own thoughts and action. I may not have expressed that well.
This is why I can admit to having my own biases. It is too easy a thing for racism to rear its ugly head and for us to be affected by it. We are human and vulnerable and weak and often unconscious of what we do.

People want to be acknowledge, accepted, and admired by social groups when they do something good, This applies racially too.


A better word might be *affirmed*. To different degrees, no?

but bad things ignored.


Is that being human? I do personally feel that it is a good thing to be *called on something* for our own sake but not to have to lose face.





Nobody is equal, ever. And that's a good thing. You and I are not equal.


In what ways are you and I not equal? Or is it you and me?lol


Most "racism" happens on a subconscious level, and people don't realize they're being "racist", usually to their own benefit.


Hmmm...I'm not so sure of that. Racism is ignorance, tunnel vision, blind spots, narcissism, arrogance. I can also say that it is not so much on a subconscious level. Sometimes we feed off of it or it feeds off of us.


"
Being racist", preferring your own kind, is not bad nor wrong, and quite natural and instinctive.


As I've said before, I don't equate the latter with the former. It's just a personal preference, being in your own comfort zone.

You seek out your own kind in life. If you were to travel to foreign nations and continents, feeling alone and strange, lost, meeting hostile or dangerous people, you would feel much safer and more comfortable with your own ilk.


That would depend on what you mean by your own kind. I like people who are different.
Well, with those dangerous ones, I might hide out in a tree somewhere. :lol:
But you are right. I understand what you are saying. But how could you know for sure that your own *ilk* were safer than those others?



It's only in highly privileged, luxurious, first world contexts and countries, with severe indoctrination, that a myriad of rainbow-people live peacefully with each-other.

lol What planet are you living on now and what kind of drinks do they have there?


I've always had a question of whether or not that can actually be seen as *racist*? Perhaps it really depends on one's motives and intentions for preferring one's own kind? If that made sense. Perhaps it's just part of human evolution and force of habit? Perhaps it's peer pressure or fear of being judged or just simply unconscious human indoctrination. #-o But is it actually racist? I think that one would have to know the individual and see where they are coming from to answer that.

What's "racist" to one person is not to another, tolerance thresholds and intelligence matter.


I agree with you here. Everything is perception.
If someone is a racist though, what part does intelligence play here? It seems to me that that light has greatly dimmed.

Tolerance towards whom? What do you mean by tolerance thresholds? I understand what the words mean separately. :oops:



"Racism" is a new world ideology and modern technology, used to control populations and dictate social orders. The ones crying out "racism!" are usually the pawns and instruments for the core ideology. People are paying into a system. Racism can be used to suppress minority groups when one population threatens another, or also threatens to take control of resources.



Because "racism" is a crime, in some ways, legally.

Thoughts and feelings can be racist but legality depends on consequences/behavior.

How about the human race? What's the crime?

There are "crimes against humanity" and "human rights" developing, in modern times, legally, as well.


That's not what I meant but this is certainly true. I wouldn't use the word *developing*. They have always been with us, because of religion, race, et cetera.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the ... -humanity/



But they don't. But it's a good thing to ponder them ~ to see how the virus of racism influences and touches us in ways we may not even be aware of.

Oh I see.


But do you?






:wink:
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14945
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.


Sauwelios uses Nietzsche in his art as you do poetry. Thank you for sharing your lovely answer Arc. :D
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6327
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Pandora » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm not racist, but I'm not blind, either. I've seen people of different races beat stereotypes, for better or worse, so everyone gets a fair shot in my assessment. Sometimes, culture plays a big role in personality and trait development/expression. I don't think there are many people that are immune from brainwashing; or really self aware people. Environment plays a big role in this and the difference can be very great even between generations of the same race.
User avatar
Pandora
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Ward 6

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.


Sauwelios uses Nietzsche in his art as you do poetry. Thank you for sharing your lovely answer Arc. :D


Your welcome, WendyDarling.
There is so much wisdom in Gibran's words too.
I think that all parents need to ponder his words, or ought to anyway.
SAPERE AUDE!


If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.


What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel


I learn as I write!
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 14945
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Ecstasy on Earth.

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:There are two sides to that coin. We are both but don't you think that it is a good thing to teach our children that they are also other than we are? Would I really want to be like my mother?
On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.

Unfortunately, your quote is wrong. Your children are your children. It reminds me of religion, like how Christians say your father is not your father but God is. These religious compulsions, for a better or perfect world, have vested interests in separating parent from child and child from parent. It's a form of surrogacy. A third-party intervenes and interferes with a parent and his or her own child.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Anyway, I am a part of society but I am also my own unique self.

People like to believe that they are separate from and 'unique', different than their roots. But there is no separation. There is continuation. Therefore, your race, your bloodlines, follow you, whether you acknowledge them or not. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Uniqueness is extraordinary. How are you unique, exactly? Isn't uniqueness what every modern "snowflake" is led to believe about him or herself?


Arcturus Descending wrote: I don't think that I judge myself, who I am, by what society does or does not do, good or bad, as a whole. I judge myself according to my own thoughts and action. I may not have expressed that well.
This is why I can admit to having my own biases. It is too easy a thing for racism to rear its ugly head and for us to be affected by it. We are human and vulnerable and weak and often unconscious of what we do.


In what ways are you and I not equal? Or is it you and me?lol

Because everybody has different values.


Arcturus Descending wrote:Hmmm...I'm not so sure of that. Racism is ignorance, tunnel vision, blind spots, narcissism, arrogance. I can also say that it is not so much on a subconscious level. Sometimes we feed off of it or it feeds off of us.

Equality is ignorance, tunnel vision, blind spots, narcissism, arrogance. Anti-racists, you obviously, deny your race, your heritage, your history. You ignore the sacrifices of your ancestors. You defile their graves and memories. Your race is your foundation, that you have betrayed and overturn, or perhaps pretend it doesn't exist. It's like denying the ground you walk on.


Arcturus Descending wrote:But how could you know for sure that your own *ilk* were safer than those others?

It's not a matter of certainty but of higher probability.


Arcturus Descending wrote:If someone is a racist though, what part does intelligence play here? It seems to me that that light has greatly dimmed.

An intelligent person perceives and understands tiny differences between people that others do not. Hence an intelligent person can distinguish races apart, ethnic groups, and even particular bloodlines and lineages. Just as a common person ought to be able to tell dog breeds apart, and whether a dog is a mutt or pure-bred. A less intelligent sees the world and humanity as "we are all one", unable to spot differences. And then there are those who spot the differences, but lie about it, because they are afraid of backlash of being called "Racist!" You don't want to get in trouble.

You see the real, true, discrete differences between everybody, but you're afraid to speak about them, call them out, and expose them. Because you would face retaliation for doing so.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Imagine if dogs and their differently bred lineages could speak.

Wouldn't the mixed-mutt speak positively about "mixing", about "we are all one", and speak negatively against pure-breeds? Wouldn't the mixed-mutt call himself "progressive" and "the future"?

But which dogs are taken to the competitions and award shows? It's the pure-breeds that prance around, face scrutiny, judgment, and win awards based on their health. It's not the mutts.

Now apply this to humanity.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Pandora wrote:I'm not racist, but I'm not blind, either.

Raaaaaaaaacissst!!! There's a racist over here!!

Just kidding...


Pandora wrote:I've seen people of different races beat stereotypes,

That doesn't mean that race doesn't exist, or that race shouldn't exist. The exceptions reinforce the rule. To "beat the stereotype" already admits to what you were trying not to admit.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Gloominary » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:43 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Gloominary wrote:Everybody is racist, if a person who looks like this:

Image

walks by, you're automatically going to make certain assumptions about him whether you like it or not, like he's Asian, and either speaks an Asian language, or who has recent ancestors who do.
If he told you he's from Algeria, speaks Arabic and practices Islam, you'd be very surprised.
So the real question is, how racist are you?


So, why the question, based on the image of that man? I don't get it.

Did you post the above on December 8, 1941?
Then, I might kind of understand.

I'm just saying we all believe in race, at least physically.
Where we differ is some people don't believe it can determine neurology, and some people know it can.
Consumerism is sin.
User avatar
Gloominary
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby James S Saint » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 am

The point to the whole socialist "anti-racist" campaign is to eliminate all differences so that all can be ruled under the same command. The truth concerning races is intentionally ignored and hidden for sake of that goal.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25782
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Pandora » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:36 am

How do exceptions reinforce the rule?
User avatar
Pandora
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Ward 6

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:40 am

Because in trying to "break stereotypes" people admit to consciously doing things against their nature in order to "prove others wrong".

That means it's dishonest and can't actually prove what they want it to prove because the premise is flawed.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Pandora » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 pm

But some people do not do it consciously but are simply a product of their cultural upbringing. I mean, they themselves may not even be aware of existing stereotypes. For example, there is a video on YouTube of a mixed race (black) young man who grew up in Japan and was interviewed by another Japanese guy. And he acted and thought just like a Japanese person. I don't know about his intellectual abilities, but to me, his personality and mode of thinking, in large part, has been influenced by Japanese culture.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMO02xxX1g
Last edited by Pandora on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pandora
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Ward 6

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Jakob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Urwrongx1000 wrote:You're walking down a sidewalk in London with your 6 year old child a few feet away from you on your left. You're visiting and touring, on vacation. There's another child walking with his or her parent on your right, also a few feet away. Then, out of nowhere, a truck comes barreling down the sidewalk, headed straight for you. On reflex, you can dive to save one of the children. Your own child, to the left, pushing him or her out of the way. Or you can save the stranger's child to the right.

Which will you choose? Left, your own child? Or right, the stranger's child?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add one little detail. Your own child, biologically, is your same race. The stranger's child, is a different race.

So, are you a racist, or aren't you?

I bet there are many that live nowadays what would indeed save the other child, in the hope of attaining the universal favour of the Other.

The real question is: is it racist to blame the truck driver? Or is it just racist that I assume I can ask this question? Is inferring from the news racist?
whoa, good question.
Yes, it probably is.
Image
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
User avatar
Jakob
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5715
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: look at my suit

Re: Are you a racist?

Postby Brando » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 pm

I just want mention, that in the Bible their is a strong emphasis on the one earth on which People live. This was acknowledged by astronoms who are on search for life in space. The message in the Bible might be: the difference to human beings must first be encountered within the one earth, before it is acknowledged for life in space. I am not sure if the concept of a race does promote this. Perhaps their is a fundamental difference between humans and proletarian. The socialist have their own concept of race, underlined last by Sloterdijk.
Brando
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:39 am

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users