Are we the Body, Mind, or Consciousness?

People define themselves in many different ways. To keep it simple, are we the physical body, the mind, or consciousness.
If we are the physical body, we are everything associated with the body, our occupation, male/female, beliefs, etc. On the other hand, if we are the mind, we see ourselves as being the contents of the mind. And if we are consciousness we are the awareness of that consciousness.
Thus, I am asking what best Identifies us?

We are definitely more than the physical body.

My soul(consciousness) has an unchanging essence: ancient (Father Time is a relative), generous (or altruistic), simple (happy with less), and (I’m adding) protective (desire to aid/shield other beings from physical harm). These essential attributes are inescapable for my emotional well-being. My consciousness was founded in a particular emotional energy and may even be sustained by that energy.

How do you self-identify? With your thoughts fragmented, how are you kept intact?

WendyDarling –

I am the I am.

You only ask questions and refuse to answer them, I see. Nevermind.

You are everything you experienced in the past from your birth until this present moment.

WendyDarling –

I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you asked how I saw myself and I responded, “I am the I am.”

I used to see myself as being the physical body. I used to be consumed by thoughts, all the endless chatter in the head.
And, I used to have trouble dealing with the fragmented thought.

Philosophy helped me realize I am not the body, that the body was my spirit’s vehicle that allowed it to experience the physical world. Later on, I saw that we all share a common or universal consciousness, Today I see I am an aspect of the infinite consciousness and the creator of my physical body. Thus I went from seeing first the physical body, then the mind, and then consciousness. Today it is seeing myself from first the infinite consciousness, then to the mind, and finally to the physical body. Seeing this way put an end to the fractured and incomplete thought. Today the mind is quiet, still and free to observe regardless of what I am doing.

A greatly improved answer, thanks, however I am asking you to further elaborate on who you are…as an individual consciousness? I’m curious to understand how you frame yourself.

Are your thoughts your own? You see, I don’t know of a universal consciousness per se, but I am very interested in what you make of this universal consciousness ??? What I find interesting is that no one who describes universal consciousness shares the same description.

WendyDarling – I

I am part of the infinite consciousness, the source of everything. There are no words that can describe it or have any meaning pertaining to it.

The infinite consciousness is the highest and most accurate consciousness. Contained within it are many different consciousnesses and different levels of consciousness. The universal consciousness is a lower form of consciousness shared by all 7.5 billion people on earth. In other words, what you call your mind is really a common mind, shared by all. Think of it this way, on one hand, we see ourselves as being different in respect to education, race, nationality, religion, beliefs, and values. On the other hand, we all desire to be happy and enjoy the good life. We all cry, love, bleed, get angry, etc. We all do the latter because our mind is shared by all. The difference we see in others is a product of thought. Differences are illusionary concepts created by thought.

I see thought as being our “separate self” or “false self.” It is a mirror image of ourselves, which allows us to see ourselves. Although we respond to it, it cannot be found because it isn’t a physical thing, it’s an illusion. It’s like a mirage. You see the water in the mirage, but you can never obtain it or satisfy your thirst with it because it doesn’t really exist.

1.) eagle wrote

2.) eagle wrote

Can you see the conflict between your first statement and your second statement?

WendyDarling –

No, the Infinite consciousness contains everything within it. And contained within it are many different types of consciousness and within each of them are many different levels of consciousness. Look at a school, containing grades 1 through 12. Within each grade, there are people functioning at different levels. Thought, which is binary, fragmented, and incomplete is one of the lower forms of consciousness.

Consciousness is memory and emotion. Memory and emotion are different from one another and not illusions. You’re gonna have to describe the absolute consciousness better from your own experience, perspective. A lot of things can resemble a lot of things but none of that tells me what a thing is. Try to explain the ultimate consciousness further.

WendyDarling –

You are making this more complex than it needs to be. You are defending your perception instead of examining what I am saying. Stop and think a moment. How do you describe something that has no form or shape, no limitations and is the source of EVERYTHING? If you can do that, you are the smartest person in the world. It is easy to criticize something you have never experienced. It is a lot harder to experience it.

You can’t. Because it is undefined. And therefore, certainly not the source of anything, let alone everything.

eagle,

Is your consciousness synonymous with your soul?

You aren’t saying much and my perceptions lend to my experiences and vice-versa.

WendyDarling – Your perception is a combination of your knowledge, thoughts, beliefs, and experiences. Everything you do is based upon it. You were the one that created your perception. Thus, you are responsible for it. Arguing or debating who is right or wrong is pointless,

A more favorable alternative is seeing if your perception is providing you the peace, happiness, and quality of life you desire. If it isn’t, you might want to examine what is contained within your perception that is preventing you from obtaining what you desire.

How did I create my perception? My physical body is holding me back.

WendyDarling – –

Just as you are what you eat, the same applies to what you consume mentally, emotionally, and physically. You aren’t aware of all the information, knowledge, and experiences that are contained within your perception until something opposes, challenges, or conflicts with them. Your feelings and emotions make you aware of that conflict. In turn, you feel upset angry, confused, troubled, or even as if you are being attacked. When that happens, it is a good time to take a serious look at your perception as opposed to automatically defending it, dismissing, or rejecting what is taking place.

We are body, mind and. consciousness. The doors of perception are partially closed so that we do not become confused with a barrage of images. That drugs or meditation can Open the doors some what does not negate their pragmatic function as safety valves. Whoever sees the mind as in enmity with the body knows little about either.

Ierrellus

Very well put.

Precisely.

Continuously verified, yet ignored by the seekers of fluff.

Exactly.

Indeed. I would say those that do this are traveling a treacherous path to sanity.

The mental journey is simple: hone the mind so that your body and mind maybe preserved. When the mind is fortified then the emotional segment is safe. When emotions and logic are in balance sanity has been achieved. When sanity has been achieved the mental dimension is more easily able to comprehend reality.

:-k

Makes you wonder . . .

I’m not following what either of you are meaning when my body is a conduit for my mind, but my body is medically malfunctioning, thus literally holding me back. No free bird here.