On being idle

In modernity, whenever we speak of pleasure, we speak of the pleasures of doing things, especially things requiring a lot of money.
But what about the pleasures of doing nothing?
It feels good to do nothing sometimes… absolutely nothing, or kick back and just listen to music, watch youtube, lie on your bed.
Why feel guilt or shame about it?

Our society tells us not to feel shame or guilt about all sorts of things we used to feel guilty about, like sex or drugs… at least pharmaceutical drugs, because we’re, ‘sick’, right?
*Laughs, that’s what some alcoholics and pot smokers say, I drink and smoke for my social anxiety, for my depression…
People don’t feel so guilty about having abortions anymore… it’s not like we have a people deficiency, right?
Well what about doing nothing… spending the entire day being unproductive?
It’s not as if we have a productivity deficiency, there’s bloody products and waste everywhere, millions of landfills of them.
It’s good for the environment, the less stuff we’re doing and exchanging, the less resources we have to extract from the earth.
It’s good for your health, in moderation, researchers keep telling us we’re too stressed.

We’re told like life has to have some big purpose, we used to find that in religion, or family, now we try to find all that in the everyday, in ourselves, and a lot of time, it just isn’t there, but we run about all day looking for it, or libraries, reading self help books.
We’re supposed to like find it in our careers, or whatever, what we consume.
But you can live without it, it’s enough just to exist.
You can keep busy doing little things, having little hobbies, little interests, you can get by with very little money, and not a lot of effort.
They tell us we’re like special, we have so much to contribute, but most of us don’t have a lot, we’re mediocre, and it’s okay.

I think there’s this sickness society has, collectively.
I heard humanity consumes more energy per capita than any other species times a thousand.
I mean look, we need so much energy to keep all our gadgets and gizmos running that we think we need.
And then we pile more and more things on top of them and then wonder why the planet is in such dire straights.
Maybe we all need to just start taking it a lot easier, or at least if some people want to, don’t make them feel so guilty about it.
If people want to live a laid back life, by all means, not everyone has to have your philosophy or lifestyle, people can live however they wish, and to some extent society recognizes that, they say if you want to spend your money traveling, or on tattoos/plastic surgery, or fast cars, it’s totally up to you, but what if you don’t want to make much money, or spend much?
It’s like a big sin, society does virtually everything but put a gun to your head if you tell em you want to live like that.
But thankfully people can still do whatever they want… or nothing if they want, in the main… or just think about stuff, idle thought, with little-no monetary incentive.

There is a lack of love in society. Humans who don’t get no love need activities to keep them occupied. It is a scientific fact that Love actually conserves energy and reduces the need for food and water.

I’m not sure I equate nothing with unproductive. I don’t think you can do nothing, since birth you’re always doing something. Listening to music is you listening to music, something is happening.

Death is you being nothing, or even then there maybe a transformation of something.

But doing nothing in a modern context doesn’t seem far from a shaming tactic to pressure people into conformity in order to exploit energy, creating it as a standard too by which your value is judged.

Society as it is called

Yes, moderns love to say…“I have a job…people need jobs”…To what end? Working as a secretary is a job…to what end? They are merely gravestones 50 years in the making.

I say all things in moderation, including love.
I’d say there’s a surplus of most things in society, not a deficiency, the problem is too much of a lot of things, not really the lack of anything.
Too much love can make people and society soft.
Anyway that’s how I tend to see things, there’s probably some truth to what you say thou.
Our society has certain focuses, sometimes it pursues somethings to the detriment of, or at the expense of others.
Love isn’t really one of our focuses, especially storge, there’s plenty of philo and eros thou.
You could say there’s a lack of agape, in some respects, perhaps.

Yea right nothing can be very productive, it can be good for your health.
You can do nothing, you can rest, sleep, meditate.
You’re right we’re usually doing something, but there’s such a thing as light activities, that don’t put much stress on yourself or the environment, like listening to music, or reading a book, activities that don’t require a lot of energy or effort, or alternatively, that’re more mental or psychological in nature.
Death is the cessation of you, but all or much of your energies are converted into other things.
The death of somethings are the birth and growth of others.

I think everyone that can should work, people ought to work for their needs, but other than that, I don’t really care, if people want to minimize work that’s their business, I’d encourage them to.
That being said, perhaps things’re overly priced.
I’m talking about food, rent, not luxuries.
Government could correct this, but if it doesn’t, there’s ways of getting around government.