Paradox of vu

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Paradox of vu

Postby encode_decode » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:05 am

Amorphos
Amorphos wrote:The philosophers stone is that ‘which can become anything’ ~ like the empty oneness at the beginnings of all things. as above so below is a contemplation upon its mirror-like aspectation [reflection is akin to duality].
I can totally appreciate that. Thank you.
Amorphos wrote:That I would say is what happens to the present, where each moment is washed away. I don’t suppose there would be a beach they all end up at, like a place of all moments. Some eastern scholars suggest each and every moment is an eternity. On the other hand, I also like the notion that everything changes and nothing is permanent [also a kind of eternal, like it just keeps rolling along or something] ~ as you suggest.
This makes me scratch the thinking chin. Again thanks. I wonder if each moment is indeed permanent but because moments flow into the past they become watered down for us and thus their impact is less felt over time except for the moments that keep getting brought forward - here you are inspiring thought for me to fix a conjecture that I have.
Amorphos wrote:yes, then perhaps it is so that we become more real the greater the duration of said repetition which elapses. Like how infant to child to adult is that happening. Especially noticeable is the lack of memory we have respective to that duration, like when we are babies.
Awesome. Makes me think - expect I will be getting back to you on this one after much thought.

:-k
Bounded Rationality is always at work - the flow of mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. Possibly and probably more. There are more versions of reality than people.
encode_decode

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:31 am

Amorphos wrote:Philosophers Stone - if my memory serves me - as is above so it is below - or something along those lines

The philosophers stone is that ‘which can become anything’ ~ like the empty oneness at the beginnings of all things. as above so below is a contemplation upon its mirror-like aspectation [reflection is akin to duality].

I like to describe the future as a blank page full of potential.

Though, with today's technology, a serious thinker must include extinction as part of such potential ... for the first time in human history ... excluding of course extinction as a result of cosmic activity. The extinction I refer to is man invoked.

Amorphos wrote:I don’t suppose there would be a beach they all end up at ...

Prophetic words Amorphos?

Isn't the "Global Village" ... in a non literal sense ... a beach of sorts where all of humanity is headed.

Again ... for the first time in human history ... mankind is nearing this reality ... excluding of course the story of Noah's Ark. :-)

Amorphos wrote:yes, then perhaps it is so that we become more real the greater the duration of said repetition which elapses. Like how infant to child to adult is that happening. Especially noticeable is the lack of memory we have respective to that duration, like when we are babies.

Perhaps lack of memory recall ... does memory ever really disappear ... the Deja Vu thang :-)
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:20 pm

encode_decode

I also think emotions warrant some thought given that mental processes are essential to forming any given emotion in the first place.

:-k Yes, I would certainly agree that emotions warrant some thought ~ I'd say a lot of thought. Observing them and reflecting on them in the moment is important.
As for the latter part of that, I may be wrong but it seems to me that our mental processes do not form any given emotion in the first place. Well, perhaps I am partly incorrect about that. Our negative thought processes can lead us to have negative emotions.
But also and at other times, first come the emotions, which we sometimes think come out of nowhere but definitely do not.
I think the two are interchangeable.

We have been talking about strong feelings - these feelings could lead to emotions that are in themselves strange.

Do you see a distinction between "strong feelings" and emotions? What is the distinction to you? Is there a difference?

I guess you could say anything is up for analyses.

Probably and isn't that so cool:

Anyway I am just spraying my thoughts around here as someone else I know puts it.

Hopefully they won't have to be neutralized like the skunk's. :evilfun:
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 pm

:character-jestercolor:

Do you see a distinction between "strong feelings" and emotions? What is the distinction to you? Is there a difference?

Indeed I do see a distinction - when one feels one is correct and indeed they are correct and they can feel it but there is no emotion attached - feelings are like senses but are synthesized internally of the mind. The extra feeling that comes with Déjà vu is not familiarity alone but a composite feeling and can have no emotion attached. I think the last two questions are like the first except to say of the last one; yes there is a difference.

From google search[define feeling]:

noun: feeling; plural noun: feelings

1. an emotional state or reaction.
    "a feeling of joy"
    synonyms: love, care, affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, warmness, emotion, sentiment;

More
    passion, ardour, desire, lust, infatuation; adulation, adoration, reverence, devotion
    "he was amazed at the strength of her feeling"

compassion, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, tender-heartedness, tenderness, love, brotherly love; pity, sorrow, commiseration, condolences
    "Emma felt a rush of feeling for the poor child"

the emotional side of someone's character; emotional responses or tendencies to respond.
    "I don't want to hurt her feelings"
    synonyms: sensibilities, sensitivities, self-esteem, ego, pride;

More

emotions, passions, sentiments
    "he hadn't meant to hurt her feelings"

strong emotion.
    "‘God bless you!’ she said with feeling"

2. an idea or belief, especially a vague or irrational one.
    "he had the feeling that he was being watched"
    synonyms: suspicion, sneaking suspicion, notion, inkling, hunch, fancy, apprehension, presentiment, premonition, foreboding; idea, vague idea, impression; informal gut feeling, feeling in one's bones, funny feeling, sixth sense
    "I had a feeling that I would win"

adjective

1. showing emotion or sensitivity.
    "she was a feeling child"
    synonyms: sensitive, warm, warm-hearted, tender, tender-hearted, caring, soft-hearted, sympathetic, compassionate, understanding, empathetic, responsive, receptive, intuitive, thoughtful; emotional, demonstrative, passionate, fiery; archaic sensible
    "he considers himself to be a feeling man"

The second definition in particular is of interest here.

What about when you are feeling the cool temperature of the water?

When we no longer use the conjugation we end up with the word feel. google search[define feel]: for an interesting result.

Myself wrote:I guess you could say anything is up for analyses.

Yes

I think that is very cool.
Bounded Rationality is always at work - the flow of mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion. Possibly and probably more. There are more versions of reality than people.
encode_decode

Postby encode_decode » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 pm

I imagine the Paradox of the sensed(vu) to be like an analogy of stepping out of a shadow - normally our mind and memory flow with the shadow that is the brain substrate but occasionally we seem to step out of the shadow and see our own shadow. This disparate effect that seems to temporarily throw us out of alignment with perceived reality could be an effect of some deeper process at hand. Paradoxes must exist as some means to reinforce our own concept of reality/time/memory.

:-k
encode_decode

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 pm

encode_decode"]

:character-jestercolor:

:chores-chopwood:

One of my favorite smilies> Can you sense why?

Indeed I do see a distinction -- feelings are like senses but are synthesized internally of the mind.

Actually, I may just have been wrong in the way in which I worded that. "Strong feelings" are a part of "emotions" ~~ emotions are just categorized differently. For instance, love, hate, rage, joy, fear, relief, sorrow, et cetera.

when one feels one is correct and indeed they are correct and they can feel it but there is no emotion attached

Feeling are not necessarily based in truth or evidence. I suppose what you are saying though is that when one discovers that he/she was right, there can be detachment.

the extra feeling that comes with Déjà vu is not familiarity alone but a composite feeling and can have no emotion attached.

I do not know what "extra" feeling you're speaking about here but wouldn't you say that there has to be, by necessity, some kind of emotion or feelings attached ~~ to something which is usually rare and of a different kind?

From google search[define feeling]:

noun: feeling; plural noun: feelings

1. an emotional state or reaction.
    "a feeling of joy"
    synonyms: love, care, affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, warmness, emotion, sentiment;

More
    passion, ardour, desire, lust, infatuation; adulation, adoration, reverence, devotion
    "he was amazed at the strength of her feeling"

compassion, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, tender-heartedness, tenderness, love, brotherly love; pity, sorrow, commiseration, condolences
    "Emma felt a rush of feeling for the poor child"

the emotional side of someone's character; emotional responses or tendencies to respond.
    "I don't want to hurt her feelings"
    synonyms: sensibilities, sensitivities, self-esteem, ego, pride;

More

emotions, passions, sentiments
"he hadn't meant to hurt her feelings"

strong emotion.
"‘God bless you!’ she said with feeling"

"he had the feeling that he was being watched"
synonyms: suspicion, sneaking suspicion, notion, inkling, hunch, fancy, apprehension, presentiment, premonition, foreboding; idea, vague idea, impression; informal gut feeling, feeling in one's bones, funny feeling, sixth sense
"I had a feeling that I would win"

adjective

1. showing emotion or sensitivity.
    "she was a feeling child"
    synonyms: sensitive, warm, warm-hearted, tender, tender-hearted, caring, soft-hearted, sympathetic, compassionate, understanding, empathetic, responsive, receptive, intuitive, thoughtful; emotional, demonstrative, passionate, fiery; archaic sensible
    "he considers himself to be a feeling man"

I love words too. My "almost" favorite subject in school was English. :mrgreen:

The second definition in particular is of interest here.

The second definition being the below:

I may not be understanding what you're saying here but a "feeling" itself is not an idea or a belief but may rise up because of an idea or belief.

What about when you are feeling the cool temperature of the water?

But that's a physical feeling as opposed to an emotional one although they rise up from the same place...the brain.
As far as your example goes, at least for me, the answer to that one would depend on how hot or cold it is.

When we no longer use the conjugation we end up with the word feel. google search[define feel]: for an interesting result.

I don't understand this. Will you please decode it for me. What does conjugating "to feel" have to do with it?
It's probably just my brain at the moment.

I guess you could say anything is up for analyses.

Yes

I think that is very cool.

This is also one of those times when a strength can be a weakness and visa versa. I sometimes try to analyse things too much. I can be like a dog with a bone. lol
One needs to know when to let go of that bone. :lol:
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Arcturus Descending

:lol:

I will answer you properly later but I just want to say how cheery your last message made me feel. Not that I was feeling down just that you provided me with a giggle or two.

Thank you so much.

=D>
encode_decode

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:02 pm

encode_decode wrote:Arcturus Descending

:lol:

I will answer you properly later but I just want to say how cheery your last message made me feel. Not that I was feeling down just that you provided me with a giggle or two.

Thank you so much.

=D>

...and THAT is what makes the world go round and round. :angelic-blueglow:

We'll have to work on multiplying those giggles though.
Laughing is just as good for clearing the body/mind of toxins as is crying albeit you did say that you were not feeling down.

TICKLE TICKLE.jpg
TICKLE TICKLE.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 17 times

Mind you ~~ I am not trying to be forward here. :lol:
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to Philosophy