What is the most valuable thing in your life?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

What is the most valuable thing in your life?

Postby woodart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:49 am

What is the most valuable thing in your life? Is love the most important thing? How about money or power? Is your child and family the most valued aspect of your life? How about education and health? I think it is important to understand what we value most. It gives us perspective and understanding of who we are. To “know thyself” is an admonition and echo from ages past which still speaks to us today.

I guess it could be argued that no one thing is most important. Perhaps, that a combination of things is most important. I ask you to you to profess and define what is most important to you. I think the answers will surprise us all.
woodart

Re: What is the most valuable thing in your life?

Postby MagsJ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:44 am

I am not at liberty to say what the number one thing I cherish the most is, but everything else is minor in comparison but pertains to my existence more.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby jerkey » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:17 am

For me, I have been compelled to realize this question, almost against my will, so it is close to my feelings and situation. I also can not divulge the exact circumstances, at this time. However, all of my concerns have shrunk next to my concern for my family. Not that the other considerations do not pop up at times, but they are waning.
jerkey
Philosopher

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:52 am

Don't tell my wife, but my books are the most valuable things in my life....
shhhhhhhhh.....

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"

The RNC has announced that's its changing the Republican emblem from
an elephant to an condom because it more clearly reflects the party's political
stance: a condom stands for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation,
protects a bunch of pricks, and gives one a sense of security while screwing others.

Kropotkin
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend

Postby woodart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:27 pm

I assert that there is something all humans possess which is more fundamentally valuable than anything else. It is consciousness. It is in consciousness that all of our experience is held. Everything we have and value is in consciousness. It can be argued that the only thing we own is consciousness. Our bodies are vessels for the existence of consciousness and we are just renters - tenants in our bodies. All of our experience is in our minds eye. Through the eye of consciousness the entire universe is unveiled. The most valuable thing is consciousness.
woodart

Postby woodart » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I think it is hard to argue that anything is more fundamental or valuable to each of us than consciousness. Our consciousness contains everything that we physically and mentally experience. Love, hate, sex, God, trees, mountains, stars, galaxies all are only in our minds eye. I am not saying that trees or galaxies are not real or separate entities from ourselves. What I am saying is that our individual contact with them is only experienced through our individual awareness. Our awareness is the framework upon which all our experience is filtered. Our awareness holds the entire universe, God or no God, ourselves and everything we have ever done or will do. So I ask you, what is this thing – consciousness?
woodart

Return to Philosophy