philosophy with children

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

philosophy with children

Postby gib » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:00 am

Has anyone here tried doing philosophy with children. I have two children of my own, a son (Kaden) and a daughter (Cassidy). Kaden's 6 and Cassidy's 8. Both really smart kids. Very imaginative.

I try testing their philosophical wits every now and then. Here's a few samples.

===

A year ago:

Daddy: Hey guys, if God created the universe, who created God?

Kaden: Jesus!

===

Around 2012 or so, Cassidy is 4:

Daddy: Hey Cas, what if we're not really walking down this sidewalk? What if the sidewalk's really moving backward, and the whole world too?

Cassidy: Uh... yeah... and what if this cookie is really chicken?

===

Just the other day:

Daddy: Hey guys, can you think of a number less than 1 but greater than 0?

Kaden: Uh... 1?

Daddy: Is 1 less than 1?

Cassidy: Half.

Daddy: Right!

Cassidy: But you can also have a quarter.

Daddy: That's right, and what if you split that quarter in half?

Cassidy: Uh... you'd get half a quarter.

Daddy: That's right. That's called an eighth. In fact, there's infinity numbers between 1 and 0. Because half an eighth is called a sixteenth. And half a sixthth is called a thirty-secondth. And half a thirty-secondth is called a sixty-fourth. And half a sixty-fourth is call a hundred-and-twenty-eighth. And it keeps going forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever! [inhale]

[Cassidy stairs at me unimpress]

Cassidy: You're weird.

Next I'll try Zeno's paradox.

===

Anybody have kids? Every try their brains at philosophy?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Re: philosophy with children

Postby James S Saint » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:09 am

gib wrote:Has anyone here tried doing philosophy with children.

Everyone who has tried "doing philosophy" on these forums. 8)
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Pandora » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:10 am

I wouldn't force philosophy on kids. You might give them the impression that you are smart and know all the answers already. We already force all kind of ideologies, trainings and rules on our kids. And kids are very impressionable and are psychologically vulnerable. So, garbage in-garbage out, and you may build a whole garbage foundation that they will struggle to shake off later on in their life.
Just be honest with them.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Kriswest » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am

We just encouraged our son to read and ask questions. That asking questions part will bite you in the butt at least twice a week :) .
He had fun books and study books at the age of 5. LOL I went up to his school at least once a week because of fighting and arguing with his teachers about subjects. So be careful when you put a child's desire to learn and curiosity into overdrive.
I will be bitchy, cranky, sweet, happy, kind, pain in the ass all at random times from now on. I am embracing my mentalpause until further notice. Viva lack of total control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not a test,,, this is my life right now. Have a good day and please buckle up for safety reasons,, All those in high chairs, go in the back of the room.
Kriswest
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Exposing a kid to violence is the best way to get a kid into philosophy. Start him with the violent videogames, then the violent movies. Oppression will trigger the nobility reflex and he will start asking questions like "Why, why am I here, why do humans think the way they do," etc.
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby gib » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Pandora wrote:I wouldn't force philosophy on kids. You might give them the impression that you are smart and know all the answers already. We already force all kind of ideologies, trainings and rules on our kids. And kids are very impressionable and are psychologically vulnerable. So, garbage in-garbage out, and you may build a whole garbage foundation that they will struggle to shake off later on in their life.

God, I'm a horrible father.

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Exposing a kid to violence is the best way to get a kid into philosophy. Start him with the violent videogames, then the violent movies. Oppression will trigger the nobility reflex and he will start asking questions like "Why, why am I here, why do humans think the way they do," etc.

You and Pandora should talk.

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Pandora wrote:I wouldn't force philosophy on kids. You might give them the impression that you are smart and know all the answers already. We already force all kind of ideologies, trainings and rules on our kids. And kids are very impressionable and are psychologically vulnerable. So, garbage in-garbage out, and you may build a whole garbage foundation that they will struggle to shake off later on in their life.

He's talking about philosophy not politics.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby gib » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:

He's talking about philosophy not politics.

Or religion.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Most people think, "philosophy" is whatever set of reasoning goes along with their own world view. They honest to god can't get outside their own religious or political perspective. It's really hard.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby gib » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Most people think, "philosophy" is whatever set of reasoning goes along with their own world view. They honest to god can't get outside their own religious or political perspective. It's really hard.

Yeah, there is a difference between doing philosophy and philosophical views. It's just like how people confuse science for the discoveries of science.

And even then, there's a difference between doing philosophy and asking philosophical questions. That's really all I'm doing with my children: asking them philosophical questions and seeing how their little minds process it. If anything, I'm helping them exercise their thinking skills. If I can get them to understand that there's an infinite range of numbers between 0 and 1, they'll light years beyond their peers.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Try talking to them about the wonders of the universe, in childlike terms.
Take them outside to look up at the night sky and the constellations.
Don't forget to tell them how important it is to hug a tree.
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby gib » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Don't forget to tell them how important it is to hug a tree.

:lol: I'll tell them Arc said so.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby gib » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Daddy: Hey guys, does God have a body?

Cassidy: No.

Daddy: Then how does he exist? Where is he?

Cassidy: God is the wind. <-- I like that answer. :)

Daddy: Did you guys know there are some people who believe that after God created the universe, he just walked away? These are call deists.

Cassidy: What? But God wouldn't walk away if he loves us.

Daddy: Well, it might be like when mommy drops you guys off at school.

Cassidy: But God doesn't drop people off at school.

Daddy: Well, maybe he just had to go and do something. Like maybe he had to go get groceries.

[kids laugh]

I think my daughter's gonna be a regular philosopher. In fact, she asked me the other day if I could setup an ILP account for here. As much as I'd love that, I told her: maybe when you're older.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby pilgrim_tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:46 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:Exposing a kid to violence is the best way to get a kid into philosophy. Start him with the violent videogames, then the violent movies. Oppression will trigger the nobility reflex and he will start asking questions like "Why, why am I here, why do humans think the way they do," etc.

Trixie ... I don't read many of your posts ... the posts I have read I find ... in a word ... unsavoury.

OTH ... I have learned some utterly profound truths in some of your words ... subtle profundity. I'll file the above post in the subtle profundity drawer ... the same drawer I filed your following words ...

If it wasn't for yang energy we would still be shitting in the dirt in Africa.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim_tom
Thinker

Postby gib » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:37 am

Kaden: Can you sleep with me for 5 minutes?

Daddy: Ok, I'll sleep with you for a looong five minutes, how 'bout that.

Kaden: Ok.

Daddy: Kades, do you think there can be a short five minutes and a long five minutes?

Kaden: Well, maybe in those other places around the world that have different times.

Daddy: You mean different time zones?

Kaden: Yeah, I think so.

Daddy: So you mean, maybe somewhere else in the world, five minutes is really six minutes long?

Kaden: Maybe.

Daddy: Do you think time is longer on the Moon?

Kaden: [laughs] Daddy, there aren't any people on the Moon.

Daddy: [laughs] Oh, right, what was I thinking?

[Kaden thinks a bit]

Kaden: ... actually, I think you can have time even if there's no people.

Cassidy: Five minutes is five minutes. It can't be different. Sometimes time can feel like it's taking longer, but it always takes the same amount of time.

Well, that settled that.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Faust » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:28 pm

Your kids are very bright. Children are naturally better at philosophy than most adults. Often, they are better at drawing, composing simple songs and telling certain kinds of stories. It's mysterious but obvious. Philosophy is an art.
"Causation "itself" is simply an abstraction of the fact that there are always causes for everything that exists. Causation is an idea, the "cause" of this idea is (properly, namely that cause of the idea which is truly adequate to its ideatum) the fact that causation is always the case (that things always have causes);, or, perhaps you want to extend that causal structure to every moment of thought and experience you ever had that ended up contributing to your ability to understand the fact that causation is always the case." - Wyld
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom

Postby pilgrim_tom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Faust wrote:Your kids are very bright. Children are naturally better at philosophy than most adults. Often, they are better at drawing, composing simple songs and telling certain kinds of stories. It's mysterious but obvious. Philosophy is an art.

Is it such a mystery Faust?

The clay is simply clay until the potter forces it into some particular shape.
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim_tom
Thinker

Postby matty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm

matty
Thinker

Postby gib » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm

matty wrote:http://www.thephilosophyman.com/

hmm... iiinteresting. :-k Will have to check that out later.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Return to Philosophy