philosophy with children

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: philosophy with children

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:17 am

Are they American? If so, this is normal.

One could accurately stretch the geography referenced in the above statement to include (insert here)
"Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
pilgrim-seeker_tom
Philosopher

Postby gib » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:52 am

pilgrim-seeker_tom wrote:
Are they American? If so, this is normal.

One could accurately stretch the geography referenced in the above statement to include (insert here)

I guess that settles it. My children are Scandinavian. :lol:
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby gib » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:01 pm

I successfully taught my daughter the synthetic/analytic distinction. I said to her:

"You know, Cassidy, there are some thing that people will tell you that you have to go out and check to see if it's true, then there are things people will tell you that you can figure out if it's true or not in your head. So for example, if I told you that I had eggs for breakfast this morning, can you figure out if that's true in your head or do you have to go out and check?"

"Go out and check."

"And if I told you that 6 times 4 is 24, could you figure out if that's true in your head or do you have to go out and check?"

"In my head."

"That's right!"

The girl's got it!

“Everyone is always like ‘how do you feel about feminism? how do you feel about feminism?’ and it’s like maybe I don’t wanna fucking talk about feminism, maybe I just wanna be a female producer, because it’s like even being a female producer is so rare it drives people fucking crazy. It’s like my sheer existence is like a political act, I think, to a lot of people. It’s not to me.”

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:22 pm

gib wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:Don't forget to tell them how important it is to hug a tree.

:lol: I'll tell them Arc said so.

Have you ever hugged a tree, gib?
Teach by example.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:26 pm

gib wrote:I successfully taught my daughter the synthetic/analytic distinction. I said to her:

"You know, Cassidy, there are some thing that people will tell you that you have to go out and check to see if it's true, then there are things people will tell you that you can figure out if it's true or not in your head. So for example, if I told you that I had eggs for breakfast this morning, can you figure out if that's true in your head or do you have to go out and check?"

"Go out and check."

"And if I told you that 6 times 4 is 24, could you figure out if that's true in your head or do you have to go out and check?"

"In my head."

"That's right!"

The girl's got it!

Yes, but you could have also told her that it's okay to *go out and check* thereby teaching her the scientific method. Some things which we think are true in our heads are not necessarily so.

Sometimes we are right and sometimes we are wrong. :auto-swerve:

Now that's teaching her philosophy. :mrgreen:
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby gib » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Have you ever hugged a tree, gib? no.
Teach by example.

Ah, only you can teach the wisdom of hugging trees, Arc.

Why don't you film yourself hugging a tree and post it. I'll show my kids. :D

Arcturus Descending wrote:Yes, but you could have also told her that it's okay to *go out and check* thereby teaching her the scientific method. Some things which we think are true in our heads are not necessarily so.

I'm pretty sure 6 x 4 is 24. And besides, the point was to teach her the synthetic/analytic distinction. I think I did quite well. ;)

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:25 pm

gib,

Ah, only you can teach the wisdom of hugging trees, Arc.

I certainly hope that this would not be true. What a pity that would be.

Why don't you film yourself hugging a tree and post it. I'll show my kids. :D

Okay. Can I recite Joyce Kilmer's Trees...

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Beautiful, isn't it and profound in its simplicity :sad-teareye:

I'm pretty sure 6 x 4 is 24. And besides, the point was to teach her the synthetic/analytic distinction. I think I did quite well. ;

Do you home school her? :-"
:evilfun:
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Gloominary » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:07 am

Philosophy can be childlike, in that it asks a lot of inane, nonsensical questions that can't be answered: why, why, why...?

As much fun as it is to abstract and speculate, perhaps philosophy needs to grow up a little.
Consumerism is sin.
Gloominary

Postby gib » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:04 am

Arcturus Descending wrote:Okay. Can I recite Joyce Kilmer's Trees...

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Beautiful, isn't it and profound in its simplicity :sad-teareye:

It's brilliant. I certainly couldn't write like that.

Arcturus Descending wrote:
I'm pretty sure 6 x 4 is 24. And besides, the point was to teach her the synthetic/analytic distinction. I think I did quite well. ;

Do you home school her? :-"
:evilfun:

I think every parent ought to home school their children a little bit, don't you?

Gloominary wrote:Philosophy can be childlike, in that it asks a lot of inane, nonsensical questions that can't be answered: why, why, why...?

As much fun as it is to abstract and speculate, perhaps philosophy needs to grow up a little

When philosophy grows up, it becomes a new discipline. Math began as philosophy, science began as philosophy, religion (AFAIC) began as philosophy. But the spout keeps dripping more.

- Claire Boucher
gib
little shitheaded Buddha

Previous

Return to Philosophy