Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris on Truth

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Jordan Peterson and Sam Harris on Truth

Postby Void_X_Zero » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:25 am

Yeah, that is some seriously fucked up shit. And we are normalizing this now, which will only make more of it.
"Siamo contenti? Son dio, ha fatto questa caricatura . . . [Are we happy? I am God, I made this caricature . . .]"

--Nietzsche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkUzU9OiDI
Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:23 am

Only_Humean wrote:
fuse wrote:
Only_Humean wrote:Given that criminalisation only applies to extreme incitement, it's fair to say that much of the discourse that's regulated by it is the sort of discourse that is already pretty impoverished, though, isn't it?

I've followed Peterson for some time now, and nothing I've seen him say can be construed as extreme incitement. Yet, he has come close to losing his job, still may yet, and, by the University's own account, he could be tried through the courts and Human Rights Tribunals. Shutting down a voice like Peterson's is exactly the sort of impoverishment of public discourse I'm talking about.

I'm talking about criminalisation; you can of course lose your job or face a tribunal over all sorts of non-criminal activity. If your colleague Tom decides he'd rather be called Tina and addressed as a female, why do you feel that as a burdensome legal obligation rather than a matter of courtesy?

Perhaps not criminalization (although I haven't thoroughly looked into all of the relevant legal code), but still a high price to pay for say having an academic disagreement about gender identity theory as it becomes enshrined in law. Look if at this point in our conversation you think this is simply about reserving the right to be an asshole to people, I don't know what I can say to complicate that view for you.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby Only_Humean » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:28 pm

Wyld wrote:How about this:
You have a right to do what you want to your genitals, and I have a right to call you a fucking retard and psychotic weirdo for doing it.
I think we can all live with that.

That's pretty much the way things are, isn't it? And people have the right to call you a bigot if you do that, and everyone's happy and world understanding is advanced. It's a bit precious to claim your mind is being raped by the effort.

fuse wrote:Perhaps not criminalization (although I haven't thoroughly looked into all of the relevant legal code), but still a high price to pay for say having an academic disagreement about gender identity theory as it becomes enshrined in law. Look if at this point in our conversation you think this is simply about reserving the right to be an asshole to people, I don't know what I can say to complicate that view for you.

You could explain in what contexts beyond being an asshole (or making a point for the sake of it, which may or may not be the same thing) it's important to, say, keep calling a transgender colleague by their birth name and using their birth gender pronouns to refer to them. Or in what way it's burdensome to you not to do so.

For example: for a doctor, it may be important to know their biological sex in planning surgery or prescribing drugs. I am fairly sure the law doesn't prevent doctors from asking such questions.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 pm

The world is insane.

40 years ago, they wouldnt hire transgenders and it was illegal to be transgender.

Nowadays, its illegal to bully or insult a transgender even on accident.

The world is fucking insane.

When will we just be reasonable and just hire people based on their ability to do a job?

I would even hire a woman or a nigger if she or the nigger could do the job right.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby James S Saint » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:27 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:The world is fucking insane.

So maybe you're getting it?
Yet realize that you are a part of it all?
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Void_X_Zero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:The world is insane.

40 years ago, they wouldnt hire transgenders and it was illegal to be transgender.

Nowadays, its illegal to bully or insult a transgender even on accident.

The world is fucking insane.

When will we just be reasonable and just hire people based on their ability to do a job?

I would even hire a woman or a nigger if she or the nigger could do the job right.

Yep.
"Siamo contenti? Son dio, ha fatto questa caricatura . . . [Are we happy? I am God, I made this caricature . . .]"

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Void_X_Zero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 am

Shock, the idea of hiring people based on merit??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Void_X_Zero » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:30 am

then how would women and minority immigrants get jobs?????????????????????????

UNFAIR!

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Ucci said i have to edit my post, but i dont see an edit button anywhere.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Im not allowed to get a job because im transgender. Why are you hypocrits preaching to me about job equality? Youre all a bunch of bigots.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Even other transgenders wont hire me. There all a bunch of bigots and fascists. Everyone is a bigot and fascist. They are all meat eaters and evil. The whole world is evil. It's all a giant conspiracy against good.
building a better future
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.

Postby Void_X_Zero » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 am

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Void_X_Zero » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:18 am

I would never hire someone who chopped off their genitals because they thought themselves to be a different sex than they really are.

No way. No job for that insanity.

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Void_X_Zero » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:19 am

Stand up against insanity. Vote for truth.

Just say No to trans.

LGBT: Let's Get Behind Trump

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby Only_Humean » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 am

Keep the political trolling out of Phil, please.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby fuse » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 am

Only_Humean wrote:
fuse wrote:Perhaps not criminalization (although I haven't thoroughly looked into all of the relevant legal code), but still a high price to pay for say having an academic disagreement about gender identity theory as it becomes enshrined in law. Look if at this point in our conversation you think this is simply about reserving the right to be an asshole to people, I don't know what I can say to complicate that view for you.

You could explain in what contexts beyond being an asshole (or making a point for the sake of it, which may or may not be the same thing) it's important to, say, keep calling a transgender colleague by their birth name and using their birth gender pronouns to refer to them. Or in what way it's burdensome to you not to do so.

I can describe a little of my experience. At least two people in my wider circle of friends are trans, and I've been in a classroom environment where I sat next to a male-to-female trans person who took the female pronouns and new chosen first name. I've respected their desires to be called "she." I did slip up with my classmate in the beginning -- accidentally saying "he" and realizing it immediately -- because the way she looked and behaved to me was so typically male that that gendered impression was stuck pretty rigid in my head and furthermore persisted despite the fact that I altered the way I addressed the person.

Exercising common decency doesn't require the adoption of a particular identity theory. But when you legislate the use of pronouns, including completely made up words, as a reflection of a particular theory of identity, this enforces certain beliefs about gender that to my knowledge are not settled. For his part, Dr. Peterson believes these embedded beliefs about gender to be unhealthy and harmful.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:09 am

What is common decency nowadays?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby fuse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 pm

WendyDarling wrote:What is common decency nowadays?

Well my transgender classmate happened to be somewhat obnoxious and off socially. She would pound on her laptop keyboard in class to the point that no one could focus and ask questions to show off what she knew. But I got to know her since she sat next me. One time she was writing a paper for another class and she made some comment about having a great argument but getting marked down for her writing. I had been a writing tutor/consultant off and on so I offered to look at her essay and give her feedback. So we stayed after one day and it was cool.
fuse
Philosopher

Postby Void_X_Zero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 am

"Transgender" is a serious mental illness. We need to be helping these very confused people, not pretending it is some kind of 'right' or 'courage' to be that way.

--Nietzsche.

Void_X_Zero
Philosopher

Postby fuse » Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 am

Update.

fuse
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Philosophy