The Reasonable Standard

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Wed May 23, 2018 5:37 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Then there's the answer to the paradox that's had you stumbling around here confused for so long. You're welcome.

Nope, doesn't work down in the hole. I call it and the coin keeps landing on its edge.

What do you think, a VO thing?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 am

I'm not playing the jargon game. You just answered your own question with what was, I would think, your best possible answer. If your own best answer isn't good enough for you, then you should see it as a duty that you stop asking the question.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu May 24, 2018 2:07 pm

I like how VO comes up in conversations completely at random, like Tourette syndrome.

"So Jack how was your eve - VO! VO! - evening?"
Before the Light - Tree of Life
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby iambiguous » Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I'm not playing the jargon game. You just answered your own question with what was, I would think, your best possible answer. If your own best answer isn't good enough for you, then you should see it as a duty that you stop asking the question.

So, is our exchange of clever repartee over?
Do you want to go back to an exchange of, say, actual substance?

If so, let's go back to our discussion above:

iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Iambig, not everything that can be known can be taught. That's why some people are smarter than others.

Note to others:

That is Mr Reasonable's response to this:

Mr Reasonable wrote:
iambiguous wrote:But that doesn't change the fact that you want to be involved with someone who will not be involved with you unless you make that existential leap to her own point of view regarding what you do to earn a living.

And it doesn't change the fact that those aspects of human interactions most likely to "make the news" are the ones that revolve precisely around that which philosophers may well be [in the end] impotent regarding.

The first example just isn't a fact. You don't have to make existential leaps to other's points of view any reason. You can simply lie.

Sure, you can lie. Of course the Kantians might object.

Mr Reasonable wrote: The 2nd might not be a fact, but I don't think something being newsworthy is cause for it to become a subject of philosophy.

Yes, that's certainly one way to look at it. You can watch the news from day to day and argue that philosophy has no role to play in it. That when folks like Plato and Aristotle explored, among other things, ethics and politics it all revolved formally/epistemologically around philosophical realism.

But then...

Mr Reasonable wrote: You should be glad that my interest in this is so low. The reason that I know you are a troll is because your issue is a simple one that can be resolved plenty of ways. You just don't want to hear it because you are mentally ill.

Note to others:

A Satyr by any other name? :wink:

Mr Reasonable wrote: If you understood philosophy and could grasp epistemology, then you wouldn't be going around thinking that nothing can be known, and you wouldn't be going around thinking that equivalent rhetoric = equivalent reality. Some things we can know based on the way we combine observations with a methodology that's constructed to rule out certain possibilities and to guarantee certain necessities are accounted for.

When have I ever argued otherwise? Instead, my argument pertains more "for all practical purposes" to the "use value" and the "exchange value" of intellectual contraptions like this out in the world that we interact in. And, in particular, when those interactions come into conflict.

Again, you seem convinced that the role of the philosophers here is to just punt everything to the politicians.

And yet even here I agree. It's just that some folks embrace a particular moral and political narrative/agenda that revolves around one or another rendition of "right makes might". And while they may not justify being "one of us" by way of a philosophical argument, they still huff and puff at those they deem "one of them" as though there really was a way in which to differentiate right from wrong, good from evil.

Some do this "naturally" by way of this:

1] I am rational
2] I am rational because I have access to the ideal
3] I have access to the ideal because I grasp the one true nature of the objective world
4] I grasp the one true nature of the objective world because I am rational

But not you? You just somehow, what, "intuit" that you're right?

Mr Reasonable wrote: You seem to want the difference between right and wrong to be constructed the same way as our knowledge that mixing certain chemicals yields certain results. That's not how knowledge works. There are varying degrees of certainty that can be ascertained given the conditions under which we gain knowledge, and the kind of knowledge that we can gain under those conditions or another kind.

On the contrary, my reaction here is that this is, well, reasonable. I merely root it instead in the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

And then to folks like you I try to probe what unfolds "in your head" when your own values come into conflict with others. How are you not entangled in my dilemma?

After all, perhaps one day I will come upon a frame of mind that allows me to yank myself up out of it.

Mr Reasonable wrote: What's so hard about this for you? You have to know that the world isn't the way you claim it is. I don't understand why you're so deeply committed for seeing it the way that you do.

Again:

How do you claim that the world is when your own values do come in conflict with others? How are reasonable men and women able to make a proper distinction here when it comes to rewarding or punishing particular behaviors?

Cite some examples.

He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:I like how VO comes up in conversations completely at random, like Tourette syndrome.

"So Jack how was your eve - VO! VO! - evening?"

At random?

You felt compelled to nudge Mr. Reasonable along with this:

Fixed Cross wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Then there's the answer to the paradox that's had you stumbling around here confused for so long. You're welcome.

So I felt compelled to retort in kind.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Fri May 25, 2018 8:18 am

I think he's autistic.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri May 25, 2018 2:53 pm

You could be on to something.

For sure there is an obsessiveness with known patterns and an absolute inability to deal with anything else. Humans are very rarely truly known patterns, except indeed Satyr, with whom he is obsessed, and who in turn is obsessive in entirely predicable patterns too.

Im sure a lot of autistic people (nothing against them!) are drawn to the idea of philosophizing, and do take offence when it turns out that it requires that one take a human position.

It is sublimely ironic that these people call Nietzsche an "objectivist".
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby iambiguous » Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I think he's autistic.

Note to others:

Given yet another opportunity to engage in a substantive exchange exploring a "rational standard" for human behavior out in the world of conflicting goods, he is reduced yet again to a feckless retort.

Here on the philosophy board.

With him [in the past] this revolved around the distinction I made between a "rational standard" adopted by stock investors playing the market [they either make money or they don't] and a "rational standard" adopted by philosophers/ethicists/political scientists in order come up with an argument either defending or denouncing the capitalist political economy.

Is it obligatory, in order to earn a living, for an investor to be rational when buying and selling stocks?

Is it obligatory, in order to champion the objective truth, for a philosopher/ethicist/political scientist to defend capitalism as the optimal or the only truly rational political economy?

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Fri May 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:You could be on to something.

For sure there is an obsessiveness with known patterns and an absolute inability to deal with anything else. Humans are very rarely truly known patterns, except indeed Satyr, with whom he is obsessed, and who in turn is obsessive in entirely predicable patterns too.

Im sure a lot of autistic people (nothing against them!) are drawn to the idea of philosophizing, and do take offence when it turns out that it requires that one take a human position.

This is the sort "general description" we get a lot from you here. Only you are often considerably more opaque. You make some obscure point but when I am challenged to assess the extent to which the point is relevant to the life that I actually live from day to day, well, nothing ever seems to come up. They often sound like they are important points...but in relationship to what?

Take VO for example. I still don't understand how you might intertwine the components of it re the manner in which I defend the components of my own "intellectual contraption". Either here and on other threads.

I would be interested in exploring this with you --- as it pertains to existential values. Values derived from the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

How, given your own moral and political conflicts with others, does one arrive at a value ontology?

Describe one pertaining to a context that we might all be familiar with.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon May 28, 2018 8:17 am

I think you can do your notes to others from now until the end of time and that everyone who's looking or who ever bothers to look will see exactly what everyone else seems to see except you. You're nuts man.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I think you can do your notes to others from now until the end of time and that everyone who's looking or who ever bothers to look will see exactly what everyone else seems to see except you. You're nuts man.

Enough! enough of you all relentlessly ad-homing one guy.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I think you can do your notes to others from now until the end of time and that everyone who's looking or who ever bothers to look will see exactly what everyone else seems to see except you. You're nuts man.

Note to no one in particular: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879

From the nutty philosopher. :wink:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby URUZ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:50 pm

EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
URUZ
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

URUZ wrote:Image

Okay, I'll bite...

What on earth does that have to do with a discussion of what either does or does not constitute a reasonable standard?

Let's take this up. You know, now that Fixed Cross and Mr. Reasonable have given up poking holes in my own existential contraption. :wink:

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:44 am

Probably some kind of white power thing. You know these guys are all the same. I mean, drink some kool aid, but drink more than one kind every now and then. Balance people. Balance. Don't be a cliche.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby URUZ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Hilarious how insanely stupid you are.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
URUZ
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Yeah yeah. Your mom.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby iambiguous » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:09 pm

URUZ wrote:Hilarious how insanely stupid you are.

Again though:

What on earth does that have to do with a discussion of what either does or does not constitute a reasonable standard?

Come on, here's your chance to note just how insanely stupid I am too.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm

iambiguous wrote:

Again though:

Noted.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Why is everything European "White Supremacy"?
Why go along with that racism?
Why can't people have their culture without being called out on their race?

Thats really sad, man.
Uruz' reference was directly to the good life I said you represent.

Fixed Cross wrote:FEOH
Cattle (dutch: Vee)

Archetype: WEALTH

The cattle come slowly though the mud from the north. The bulls horns are adorned with iron. The cows, a trail longer than the eye can see in the january mist, will provide wealth, meat and milk. Newly woven baskets with fine flowers on long stems in them are carried by girls standing along the path. The tower of brick and natural stone is visible above the welcoming.

A beginning of a prosperous phase. The winter as a time of reward; a time given to the rich, the happy. Endless festivities, music, stories told in great halls to many happy feasters. Outside the forests are unthreatening, well guarded by archers in thick yet silent leather in which they move well and swiftly, trained by long standing tradition. Villains are shown some mercy.

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby iambiguous » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:
iambiguous wrote:

Again though:

Noted.

Well, now is your chance to demonstrate that. Let's resume our exchange.

Here's the OP that started it:

Fixed Cross wrote:An answer to a challenge made in jestful jest by Iambiguous.

http://ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p2630835

I claim that mr Reasonable is a philosopher, and that his standard is as follows:

Life is good and you need to be powerful to handle that.

And this is where we left off:

iambiguous wrote:
Fixed Cross wrote:You could be on to something.

This is the sort "general description" we get a lot from you here. Only you are often considerably more opaque. You make some obscure point but when challenged to assess the extent to which the point is relevant to the life that I actually live from day to day, well, nothing ever seems to come up. They often sound like they are important points...but in relationship to what?

Take VO for example. I still don't understand how you might intertwine the components of it re the manner in which I defend the components of my own "intellectual contraption". Either here and on other threads.

I would be interested in exploring this with you --- as it pertains to existential values. Values derived from the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

How, given your own moral and political conflicts with others, does one arrive at a value ontology?

Describe one pertaining to a context that we might all be familiar with.

Please, by all means, note just how insanely stupid my points are.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:58 am

I like to eat meat, and I like women, so that symbol is alright with me.

Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Postby tereo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I like to eat meat, and I like women, so that symbol is alright with me.

=D> thank you sir for telling me. that what you like and dont like. but why im supposed to give any piss for your liking and not liking ? who the damn are you ? :lol: are you Krishna ? OR his recognzied agent ? so that i take care for you and your deeds ?
tereo

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:I like to eat meat, and I like women, so that symbol is alright with me.

Glad to have salvaged this.

Runes are life-affirming, despite the filthy shit the nazis did with them.
I consider it possible that the regime committed suicide because they were working with symbols too powerful for their puny souls.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:40 pm

tereo wrote:

=D> thank you sir for telling me. that what you like and dont like. but why im supposed to give any piss for your liking and not liking ? who the damn are you ? :lol: are you Krishna ? OR his recognzied agent ? so that i take care for you and your deeds ?

You registered to this site ... for this?
Mods - why was this post approved?

This clown couldn't make it clearer that he is a troll and will have to be banned soon, waste of time.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy