The Reasonable Standard

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:This is probably true of so many people that it doesn't make sense to arbitrarily level is as an insult against just one person.


Does it comfort you that most of the people around you are as sick as you are?

I am pretty sure that it does. A self-hating narcissist such as yourself will grab every opportunity to look away from himself.

But not everyone is like that. And moreover, people weren't like that in the past.



Shut up dummy. Go read a comic book or something.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Iambig, not everything that can be known can be taught. That's why some people are smarter than others.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Iambig, not everything that can be known can be taught. That's why some people are smarter than others.


Note to others:

That is Mr Reasonable's response to this:

Mr Reasonable wrote:
iambiguous wrote:But that doesn't change the fact that you want to be involved with someone who will not be involved with you unless you make that existential leap to her own point of view regarding what you do to earn a living.

And it doesn't change the fact that those aspects of human interactions most likely to "make the news" are the ones that revolve precisely around that which philosophers may well be [in the end] impotent regarding.


The first example just isn't a fact. You don't have to make existential leaps to other's points of view any reason. You can simply lie.


Sure, you can lie. Of course the Kantians might object.

Mr Reasonable wrote: The 2nd might not be a fact, but I don't think something being newsworthy is cause for it to become a subject of philosophy.


Yes, that's certainly one way to look at it. You can watch the news from day to day and argue that philosophy has no role to play in it. That when folks like Plato and Aristotle explored, among other things, ethics and politics it all revolved formally/epistemologically around philosophical realism.

But then...

Mr Reasonable wrote: You should be glad that my interest in this is so low. The reason that I know you are a troll is because your issue is a simple one that can be resolved plenty of ways. You just don't want to hear it because you are mentally ill.


Note to others:

A Satyr by any other name? :wink:

Mr Reasonable wrote: If you understood philosophy and could grasp epistemology, then you wouldn't be going around thinking that nothing can be known, and you wouldn't be going around thinking that equivalent rhetoric = equivalent reality. Some things we can know based on the way we combine observations with a methodology that's constructed to rule out certain possibilities and to guarantee certain necessities are accounted for.


When have I ever argued otherwise? Instead, my argument pertains more "for all practical purposes" to the "use value" and the "exchange value" of intellectual contraptions like this out in the world that we interact in. And, in particular, when those interactions come into conflict.

Again, you seem convinced that the role of the philosophers here is to just punt everything to the politicians.

And yet even here I agree. It's just that some folks embrace a particular moral and political narrative/agenda that revolves around one or another rendition of "right makes might". And while they may not justify being "one of us" by way of a philosophical argument, they still huff and puff at those they deem "one of them" as though there really was a way in which to differentiate right from wrong, good from evil.

Some do this "naturally" by way of this:

1] I am rational
2] I am rational because I have access to the ideal
3] I have access to the ideal because I grasp the one true nature of the objective world
4] I grasp the one true nature of the objective world because I am rational

But not you? You just somehow, what, "intuit" that you're right?

Mr Reasonable wrote: You seem to want the difference between right and wrong to be constructed the same way as our knowledge that mixing certain chemicals yields certain results. That's not how knowledge works. There are varying degrees of certainty that can be ascertained given the conditions under which we gain knowledge, and the kind of knowledge that we can gain under those conditions or another kind.


On the contrary, my reaction here is that this is, well, reasonable. I merely root it instead in the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

And then to folks like you I try to probe what unfolds "in your head" when your own values come into conflict with others. How are you not entangled in my dilemma?

After all, perhaps one day I will come upon a frame of mind that allows me to yank myself up out of it.

Mr Reasonable wrote: What's so hard about this for you? You have to know that the world isn't the way you claim it is. I don't understand why you're so deeply committed for seeing it the way that you do.


Again:

How do you claim that the world is when your own values do come in conflict with others? How are reasonable men and women able to make a proper distinction here when it comes to rewarding or punishing particular behaviors?

Cite some examples.


And just when I thought we were actually going to exchange some philosophy!

Or, sure, what some of us call philosophy.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:17 am

Is that all? You've become famous here for having the thickest skull and the most 1 track mind that anyone has ever seen. Are you proud of that?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Is that all? You've become famous here for having the thickest skull and the most 1 track mind that anyone has ever seen. Are you proud of that?


I take it then that our exchange is kaput? :lol:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby barbarianhorde » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:45 pm

pretty awesome way of proving things Fixed Cross has.

Image

The Reasonable Standard stands proven as superior to Iambiguous.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: the cupboard by your kn knees

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:14 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Is that all? You've become famous here for having the thickest skull and the most 1 track mind that anyone has ever seen. Are you proud of that?


I take it then that our exchange is kaput? :lol:


I think I've specifically stated to you on multiple occasions that I'm not interested in any conversation with you at all. So while I wish it was "kaput", it's probably not because you're a weird stalker who insists on trying to force people to talk to you when they don't want to. I don't think it'll be long before you're back in another thread, copying and pasting the same thing. Seeking approval from your invisible audience, and with your fingers in your ears.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Is that all? You've become famous here for having the thickest skull and the most 1 track mind that anyone has ever seen. Are you proud of that?


I take it then that our exchange is kaput? :lol:


I think I've specifically stated to you on multiple occasions that I'm not interested in any conversation with you at all. So while I wish it was "kaput", it's probably not because you're a weird stalker who insists on trying to force people to talk to you when they don't want to. I don't think it'll be long before you're back in another thread, copying and pasting the same thing. Seeking approval from your invisible audience, and with your fingers in your ears.


I'll take that as a "yes".
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:49 pm

barbarianhorde wrote:pretty awesome way of proving things Fixed Cross has.

Image

The Reasonable Standard stands proven as superior to Iambiguous.



Okay, I'll bite. What has Fixed Cross proved?

And if he won't come here, ask him if he might be willing to exchange points of view at his own forum.

Unless, perhaps, that might tempt him to quit there as well. :wink:

By the way, what does astrology have to say about Scientology?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat May 19, 2018 8:08 pm

gotta come up with a logo now
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
Before the Light - Tree of Life Academy - Thought of a Rune (film by Pezer)
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 7887
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am

Was I right? Is he still trolling around with the whole copy and paste bit with his fingers in his ears?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Was I right? Is he still trolling around with the whole copy and paste bit with his fingers in his ears?


You should try copying and pasting with your fingers in your ears. In other words, using your elbows.

By the way, you are still right at the top of Tyler Durden's shit list.

And, finally, just to reassure you, you are still the man every woman here wants and almost every man here wants to be.

I'm still the only exception.

:banana-fingers: :banana-gotpics: :banana-guitar: :banana-jumprope: :banana-linedance: :banana-ninja: :banana-rainbow: :banana-rock: :banana-skier: :banana-tux: :banana-wrench: :banana-stoner: :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dreads:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby MagsJ » Mon May 21, 2018 7:44 pm

iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Was I right? Is he still trolling around with the whole copy and paste bit with his fingers in his ears?

..just to reassure you, you are still the man every woman here wants and almost every man here wants to be.

So you are a qualia in this instance? how self-revering of you.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17647
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Mon May 21, 2018 7:56 pm

MagsJ wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Was I right? Is he still trolling around with the whole copy and paste bit with his fingers in his ears?

..just to reassure you, you are still the man every woman here wants and almost every man here wants to be.

So you are a qualia in this instance? how self-revering of you.


Wow, I almost forgot: this is the actual philosophy forum here.

Let me think on that and get back to you. :wink:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Consistency is hard to beat, but not al consistency goes somewhere.
We all are compulsive in our consistencies, some more than others, but we all have our straight, unbreakable lines, which if they are bent or broken in some event, release tremendous amounts of energy to reshape out life.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
Before the Light - Tree of Life Academy - Thought of a Rune (film by Pezer)
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 7887
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 am

I just googled Tyler Durden and it's a character from a Brad Pitt movie. Weird.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 22, 2018 2:58 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:I just googled Tyler Durden and it's a character from a Brad Pitt movie. Weird.


I asked him to elaborate and he sent me here: https://youtu.be/mSe_t8HBDA4?t=56s

He sees you basically as the hard-wired personification of mass consumption.

And Marla basically agrees.

Not only that but he garnered all this from your posts here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879
Last edited by iambiguous on Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 22, 2018 3:01 am

Hey man, this is a philosophy forum. Why are you appealing to pop culture references?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:Hey man, this is a philosophy forum. Why are you appealing to pop culture references?


Because I can?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 22, 2018 4:32 am

But can you?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 22, 2018 5:01 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:But can you?


I just did.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 am

How can you be sure enough that doing so was the right choice to feel comfortable doing anything at all?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby iambiguous » Tue May 22, 2018 5:27 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:How can you be sure enough that doing so was the right choice to feel comfortable doing anything at all?


As the great philosopher Anton Chigurh would say, "call it".

So, I did. It came up heads.

And here we are.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
User avatar
iambiguous
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 27752
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: baltimore maryland

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 am

Then there's the answer to the paradox that's had you stumbling around here confused for so long. You're welcome.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25544
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: The Reasonable Standard

Postby Fixed Cross » Wed May 23, 2018 3:36 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:Then there's the answer to the paradox that's had you stumbling around here confused for so long. You're welcome.


Image
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
Before the Light - Tree of Life Academy - Thought of a Rune (film by Pezer)
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 7887
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users