The Reasonable Standard

How can you be sure enough that doing so was the right choice to feel comfortable doing anything at all?

As the great philosopher Anton Chigurh would say, “call it”.

So, I did. It came up heads.

And here we are.

Then there’s the answer to the paradox that’s had you stumbling around here confused for so long. You’re welcome.

Nope, doesn’t work down in the hole. I call it and the coin keeps landing on its edge.

What do you think, a VO thing?

I’m not playing the jargon game. You just answered your own question with what was, I would think, your best possible answer. If your own best answer isn’t good enough for you, then you should see it as a duty that you stop asking the question.

I like how VO comes up in conversations completely at random, like Tourette syndrome.

“So Jack how was your eve - VO! VO! - evening?”

So, is our exchange of clever repartee over?
Do you want to go back to an exchange of, say, actual substance?

If so, let’s go back to our discussion above:

At random?

You felt compelled to nudge Mr. Reasonable along with this:

So I felt compelled to retort in kind.

I think he’s autistic.

You could be on to something.

For sure there is an obsessiveness with known patterns and an absolute inability to deal with anything else. Humans are very rarely truly known patterns, except indeed Satyr, with whom he is obsessed, and who in turn is obsessive in entirely predicable patterns too.

Im sure a lot of autistic people (nothing against them!) are drawn to the idea of philosophizing, and do take offence when it turns out that it requires that one take a human position.

It is sublimely ironic that these people call Nietzsche an “objectivist”.

Note to others:

Given yet another opportunity to engage in a substantive exchange exploring a “rational standard” for human behavior out in the world of conflicting goods, he is reduced yet again to a feckless retort.

Here on the philosophy board.

With him [in the past] this revolved around the distinction I made between a “rational standard” adopted by stock investors playing the market [they either make money or they don’t] and a “rational standard” adopted by philosophers/ethicists/political scientists in order come up with an argument either defending or denouncing the capitalist political economy.

Is it obligatory, in order to earn a living, for an investor to be rational when buying and selling stocks?

Is it obligatory, in order to champion the objective truth, for a philosopher/ethicist/political scientist to defend capitalism as the optimal or the only truly rational political economy?

This is the sort “general description” we get a lot from you here. Only you are often considerably more opaque. You make some obscure point but when I am challenged to assess the extent to which the point is relevant to the life that I actually live from day to day, well, nothing ever seems to come up. They often sound like they are important points…but in relationship to what?

Take VO for example. I still don’t understand how you might intertwine the components of it re the manner in which I defend the components of my own “intellectual contraption”. Either here and on other threads.

I would be interested in exploring this with you — as it pertains to existential values. Values derived from the manner in which I construe the meaning of dasein, conflicting goods and political economy.

How, given your own moral and political conflicts with others, does one arrive at a value ontology?

Describe one pertaining to a context that we might all be familiar with.

I think you can do your notes to others from now until the end of time and that everyone who’s looking or who ever bothers to look will see exactly what everyone else seems to see except you. You’re nuts man.

Enough! enough of you all relentlessly ad-homing one guy.

Note to no one in particular: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879

From the nutty philosopher. :wink:

Okay, I’ll bite…

What on earth does that have to do with a discussion of what either does or does not constitute a reasonable standard?

Let’s take this up. You know, now that Fixed Cross and Mr. Reasonable have given up poking holes in my own existential contraption. :wink:

Probably some kind of white power thing. You know these guys are all the same. I mean, drink some kool aid, but drink more than one kind every now and then. Balance people. Balance. Don’t be a cliche.

Hilarious how insanely stupid you are.