Nihilism is the future

I have adopted nihilism. I suggest that you do the same.

It simplifies everything. Ethics could not be easier.

If I like something then it’s good. If I don’t like something then it’s bad.

If I feel like doing something then it’s morally right. If I don’t feel like doing something then it’s morally wrong.

I don’t need to waste time trying to figure out how my decisions will impact society and other people.

I should have done this a long time ago. :smiley:

Yep. Now you can be one with the Trump. Nihilists of the world unite.

Congrats on losing your soul, I hope it’s all you thought it would be.

Soul? What’s that? Where is it? What does it do?

Ernst Werklempter on Nihilism:

Those that can, do.
Those that can’t, teach.
Those that can neither do nor teach, become nihilists.

More:

Nihilism is the last refuge of scoundrel politicians.

Even more from Ernst:

Why, anybody can have a brain. That’s a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven’t got: Nihilism.

That’s funny. :laughing:

That’s not necessarily nihilism…sounds a lot more like radical hedonism.

Interesting phase though, tell me how you feel afterwards. Positively valuing Nihilism intrigues me.

Is Phyllo being serious or facetious?

Phyllo becomes a nihilist, utter hilarity ensues…

I must once again remind people the difference between government nihilism (political nihilism) and anarchist nihilism.

The worse kind of scoundrels are those that preach morality, virtue, ethics, and say they care about your well being simultaneously as they stab you in the back Faust. I think they call themselves secular humanists or something to that effect…

I’m entirely serious.

After reading Iambig’s latest posts about the advantages of nihilism, I came to the realization that he has some very good points. I started to think that maybe I was rejecting nihilism because of some old outdated assumptions which are no longer applicable at this stage of my life and at this time and place.

But how would I know if nihilism is right for me? I have to “try it on” to see if it fits.

The first step is to decide what to do about the objectivist ideas that I had. But let’s face it … there is no way to demonstrate that objective morality or objective values exist. There is no way to demonstrate that god exists or ever existed. It’s entirely possible that those ideas are just intellectual contraptions.
So I dropped them. The world didn’t stop turning. :wink:

I just need to be careful and self-conscious so that I don’t revert to that kind of thinking.

The biggest problem I’m facing is trying to figure why people are doing things and what they will do next. The ‘objective’ me would say that people are mostly the same and so they have the same needs, wants and motivations as I do. Therefore, I could predict based on my own experience. But now I’m not certain about any of those things.

A lot of people will say that pleasure is the only motivator. Even altruistic acts are motivated by the pleasure produced in the altruist. Which can be summed up as : nobody does anything unless he gets something out of it. That ‘something’ is covered by the term ‘pleasure’.

I don’t feel any new urges to (over)indulge in physical pleasures.

I intend to keep posting about my thoughts and experiences.

Logically, noone should do anything unless somebody gets something out of it.

But people do lots of things that noone gets anything out of at all.

You’re going to have to give me a couple of days to enjoy this sweet irony as I can remember you criticizing many of my posts for its nihilism. Ah yes, it tastes so very sweet.

Philosophy isn’t a pair of underwear you can try on in seeing if it fits. You got to live and breathe philosophy to come to understanding. That’s what I aspire towards anyways.

Intellectual contraptions? You’re being too modest and kind. I prefer the term intellectual fictions. Most intellectuals these days might as well call themselves fiction peddlers.

The world is full of individual egoists that we call people and I can assure you that they don’t have the same motivations, desires, or aspirations. One of the many reasons why that ridiculous ideal of equality will never materialise.

What the world will do next is an easy question to answer but it is troubling one that most wish not to hear or know of.

Maybe your posts were just lame. I don’t remember. :evilfun:

Then consider it a test drive. I have to be fully engaged so I don’t crash the car/philosophy.

It’s not a question of the world, it’s a question of what somebody will do this minute, this day or tomorrow. Statistically people are predictable in large numbers … it’s the individuals who are tricky.

It tastes sweet, but what about spicy?

Wait for the afterburn. :evilfun:

Why? If you feel like reverting to it, isn’t that morally right?

No, it could just be going back to a habitual behavior or thinking, because that’s familiar,easy or comfortable. As they say, it takes 21 days to break a habit.

I can tell you for a fact, that aside from us simply being here … Our entire past was meaningless.

The point of life is to make meaning from garbage …

Life is not nihilistic