Do ideas use expressions, or do expressions use ideas?

Which way round is it?

Ideas are expressed, are they not?

Expressions using ideas might arise from need, resulting in an invention.

Ideas are expressions.

Everyone except philosophers knows what an idea is.

Ideas do not use expressions, people do. Expressions do not use ideas, people do.

There are the behaviours which compose the machine and what it does, then there are behaviours of things the machine makes.

A behaviour is thus composed of both patterns and their utility yielding further patterns [info]. An expression is perhaps more the act than the writer or narrator even.

To express – to yield further patterns from patterns. So expression comes second imho

It is like saying do thoughts generate feeling or do feelings generate thoughts whereas I would argue that they are inseparable.

First comes the idea (Trees) than the expression[s] of that particular idea, the poem.
From there, it’s a teeter totter movement - one to the other, the other to the one.

Trees
BY JOYCE KILMER

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

It’s the same with anything. The poet, the artist, the revolutionary, the scientist, the musician et cetera give rise to ideas out of which come their expressions…
It’s a symbiotic relationship in a sense.

One can even use the idea of a cow’s utter being expressed.. The utter’s expression is the milk. lol