Identity, Personhood and the Self

I will start off by stating that this thread welcomes anyone who has any sort of opinion regarding identity and personhood, no less no more. I will start off by outlining the main ideas of Locke’s original ideas of personhood. In accordance, I will ask numerous questions and list a multitude of varying aspects of what can be included within the realm of identity and personhood.

John Locke was a pioneer of the philosophy of identity and personhood. Locke believed that a person must be a thinking, intelligent being which holds reason and self-reflection in its consiousness. Locke also believed that is impossible for a person to perceive without perceiving that she perceives (for which I am personally skeptical). Because consciousness maintains existence throughout all of your experiences, a person has the ability to uphold a personal identity. Locke believed that conscious thought existed to solely rely on different types of conscious thought which create new, malleable identities. This means that there are different persons/selves/identities which are dependent on the conscious thought of that person’s position in space and time. There may be times when our conscious thought drastically changes (e.g. insanity or intoxication), so much so that you cannot punish the natural reactions of the consciousness which has formed a different identity. For example, you cannot punish Eugene for streaking last night because he was drunk and high; temporarily inside a different consciousness and identity which he may not have been able to control or blame for reacting in the natural way it did. The final main idea of Locke’s philosophy of personhood explain how inside everyone, we have consciousness that creates remote existence into one body. The consciousness that all persons shall have, that they themselves (in what bodies they soever appear or what substances soever that consciousness adheres to) are the same persons that comitted those actions, and deserves responsibility or punishment for them.

Possible characteristics of what constitutes personhood which I have contemplated:

a) consciousness of space and time
b) self-motivated activities
c) reasoning and problem-solving
d) intentionality
e) regard of others and regarded by others
f) upholding a subjective perspective

Whichever of these above characteristics you agree or disagree with most is encouraged for discussion. Elaborate on your personal opinion and try to address the following questions.

What constitutes personhood?

What constitues identity?

Which curerently existing theory of the self has the most agreeable theses? (e.g. Descartes’ substance theory, Hume’s bundle theory, Ricoeur’s Narrative, Sartre’s Project)

Looking forward to your responses.