Do you really love philosophy?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Wizard » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Most people, even here, hate philosophy, and do not truly love philosophy at all.

Because most are too weak to love philosophy, and lack the power to love philosophy.

Only a powerful mind can claim to love philosophy, to begin with. A weak mind cannot, never, love philosophy. Only the strongest can love philosophy.
phyllo wrote:Before the internet, there were these things called books. There were special buildings full of them.

James S Saint wrote:It is the mostly blind builders struggling against the entirely blind destroyers in an effort to find the light.
"The light is here"
"No it isn't"
"The light is there"
"I don't see it"
"The light exists"
"No it doesn't"

... on and on ...
User avatar
Wizard
Thinker
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Orbie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 pm

interterrestrial wrote:Most people, even here, hate philosophy, and do not truly love philosophy at all.

Because most are too weak to love philosophy, and lack the power to love philosophy.

Only a powerful mind can claim to love philosophy, to begin with. A weak mind cannot, never, love philosophy. Only the strongest can love philosophy.



Strength of mind then is equivalent to a capacity to love it, but it's a sign of weakness to hate it?
Is this a necessary or contingent argument? Must i have a feeble mind not to love philosophy?
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:40 pm

d63 wrote:Logic is after all, as is suggested by thinkers like Chomsky and Pinker, a product of the language we use to interact with the world which is, in turn, a product of the physiological structures of the brain.

There is an interdependence between language and logic. But which of both came first? Chomsky and Pinker say: "language".
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby James S Saint » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Arminius wrote:
d63 wrote:Logic is after all, as is suggested by thinkers like Chomsky and Pinker, a product of the language we use to interact with the world which is, in turn, a product of the physiological structures of the brain.

There is an interdependence between language and logic. But which of both came first? Chomsky and Pinker say: "language".

Logic comes first, else there can be no language. Logic is the consistency required for a language (or any thinking) to function at all, "A is A".
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:27 pm

interterrestrial wrote:Most people, even here, hate philosophy, and do not truly love philosophy at all.

Because most are too weak to love philosophy, and lack the power to love philosophy.

Only a powerful mind can claim to love philosophy, to begin with. A weak mind cannot, never, love philosophy. Only the strongest can love philosophy.

Most of the people who say that they "love philosophy" either do not know what they are talking about, or exaggerate and cheat other people and especially themselves.

You really do not have to say that you "love philosophy" in order to be very much interested in philosophy and to keep yourself busy with philosophy. Those who say "I like philosophy" do not exaggerate and cheat, but do much more know about their relationship to philosophy than those who say "I love philosophy".
Last edited by Arminius on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Orbie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm

is there or has there been any study to substantiate this claim? I would say it is as difficult to make such claim as it is to differentiate between objective and subjective propositions.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks to the linguistics, we know the semantic field of the morpheme "lov".
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: The things we do

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Pandora

I tend to find insights in everyday mundane places, more so then anywhere else
.
I can understand that... from the mundane to the sublime. I think this might happen even more so when we're kind of in a pensive open state of mind that's not cluttered with constant thought or more so, when we're able to pick up on certain signals from people. I'm rambling. :oops:

I don't know if I've mentioned this story but I remember a memorable (for me) event, sometime last year where I was standing in a line in a coffee shop and a girl in front of me ordered: a grande decaf non-fat sugar-free-vanilla iced latte. She probably paid five dollars with change for...something that was and was not.

I think these kind of "labels" are meant to make us feel more than we are and meant to discount the fact that they are not worth the money. If it sounds great, it has more value. Me, I get almost black, no sugar.

And again...recently...a man in a restaurant asks a waitress for an egg-white omelet with three pieces of bacon.

:lol: Maybe he was in a compromising kind of mood.

The way I saw it, both of them were in a particular state of mind, a self deceiving, unaware, one. It's easy to see it in others, but not so easy to see it in yourself.

That's true. It is easier to see in others. It's not an easy thing to look into the mirror that is another and see ourselves and what is, in actuality, staring back at us.

Philosophical inquiry is also a state of mind. One can be very rational and elaborate, all his life in fact, but in the end, is one 'buying' anything of substance, so to speak?

Only if one adapts what they've learned to their behavior and life's perspective ~~ that is, the positive side of philosophy as opposed to the negative, for instance, pessimism , a better more whittled down kind of nihilism is good and stoicm is good, et cetera.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:23 pm

d63

Introduction to the Five Branches of Philosophy
Philosophy can be divided into five branches which address the following questions:

Metaphysics Study of Existence What's out there?
Epistemology Study of Knowledge How do I know about it?
Ethics Study of Action What should I do?
Politics Study of Force What actions are permissible?
Esthetics Study of Art What can life be like?


There is a hierarchical relationship between these branches as can be seen in the Concept Chart. At the root is Metaphysics, the study of existence and the nature of existence. Closely related is Epistemology, the study of knowledge and how we know about reality and existence. Dependent on Epistemology is Ethics, the study of how man should act. Ethics is dependent on Epistemology because it is impossible to make choices without knowledge. A subset of Ethics is Politics: the study of how men should interact in a proper society and what constitutes proper. Aesthetics, the study of art and sense of life is slightly separate, but depends on Metaphysics, Epistemology, and Ethics. “


****

What you are describing here is what was introduced to me through Will Durant’s The Story of Philosophy. This was the first philosophy book I ever read and one I picked up in a second hand store at a time when I was primarily focused on being a musician. (I thought it, at the time, my manifest destiny to be a rock star.)The idea was to see how Aristotle’s Categorical would influence my music –which goes to show how willy-nilly and naive my understanding of philosophy actually was at the time.


These aren't my words nor my sense of what the hierarchy ought to be. They came from google. :lol:
So, which one of the philosophers did influence you the most? And what were the words or the thoughts which made you realize that you were not ment to be a "rock star"? And how do you know you weren't? :evilfun:


However, the order of the list went Metaphysics, Logic, Aesthetics, Ethics, and Politics, which I only point out because it goes to the hierarchical sense of it you have –something I will go into below.



But before I do, I want to cover another point you made:

First of all: welcome to the club. I like to think of myself as more of a writer who happens to enjoy writing about my experience with philosophy. I have no formal training either. Still, having been a musician, poet, writer of fiction, and artist, I find myself, in middle age, seeing philosophy as the poetry and art I am attracted to.

I can understand what you're saying here. I think that by reason of being those things above, you automatically become a philosopher because you would necessarily look on life in a particular way, you pay attention to life, you study it, et cetera. Or you're the philospher in the first place...


And we can assume that the intellectual and creative curiosity that brought you here in the first place precludes you from being “stupid”, that is since most people go through their lives having no interest in philosophy whatsoever –in fact, will sometimes even resist and dismiss it as pointless or even dangerous.

Yes, I've actually been told that it's a waste of my time, it means nothing and what does it bring me? But it's impossible to explain to someone who can't "get it" how it does enrich my life, how it makes me think and feel, how I've learned to think in a clearer way because of it (clearer for me, that is). I'm told that i used to believe in god - that I must not have believed in god in the first place and I don't know what I'm doing. :lol: I tried to tell this particular person about the nature of belief and how philosophy has changed me - even though truth be told I always had a kind of philosophical mind, though as I said I was no scholar or academic. I've always wondered and been curious about things. Different things enrich different people.


Okay! Now that we’re agreed on that, I’m not sure where you got your order, but I mainly have to work from the Durant order because that is the one I’m familiar with. First of all, I would deal with the issue of the hierarchy by pointing out that the term at the end, politics, is propped up by the terms before it: ethics which is propped up by aesthetics which is propped up by logic which is propped up by metaphysics. This, in turn, creates a hierarchy which runs:


Metaphysics<Logic<Aesthetics<Ethics<Politics

I remember reading what James (JSS) said - that logic needs to go before metaphysics and i kind of go along with that. Then metaphysics but I would actually put ethics before metaphysics lol because to me ethics or What should I do is more important and more interesting. There is no black and white with ethics and it really does make you have to see things from different perspectives/ all situations and circumstances are different, before one can form an opinion or make a decision.
As far as - Politics - what actions are permissible - wouldn't that be more a case for ethics?

Esthetics Study of Art What can life be like

or maybe another way of putting this is what does it reveal about life, if that made sense.


But there are problems here –outside of the fact that such a hierarchy tends to offend the contemporary sensibility. For one, many into philosophy would tend to see politics as a common matter and metaphysics as the highest use of our minds since metaphysics is what would establish the very foundation of how we should run society. In that case, the formula would be:

I don't understand what metaphysics has to do with 'running society". Wouldn't that be more ethics and politics or politics and ethics would be a better way to say it.

Metaphysics>Logic>Aesthetics>Ethics>Politics

But the problem with this is that we have, over time, realized that our metaphysical statements tend to be a little more influenced (founded upon (our political situation than we might realize, especially since we tend to establish a metaphysical foundation based on what will ultimately change our political situation. So now we have formula that reads in way that does not necessarily start with the first line here, but is rather an infinite regress that leads to:

Strictly speaking or perhaps loosely speaking, isn't metaphysics more or less about reality or unreality of a goD?
Perhaps one of the reasons that I might just put metaphysics last is because I do not the reality of a god as having any bearing on how we conduct our lives (ethics) and how we use power. That might not make much sense to you but it's the way I see it. It gets back to the stupid thought that an atheist cannot be ethical or loving or compassionate. I'm going off at a tangent here. These are just my musings, such as they are.


Another problem is that a lot has changed since Durant published his book in 1929, mainly the developments of Phenomenology, Existentialism, and post structuralism and post modernism and the terminology that has come with it. So now we can revise and write the formula (in its basic sense(as:

Metaphysics/Ontology (since Ontology is a metaphysics with its feet on the ground of Being)>Logic/Epistemology (since both are about what we can know and are at the bottom of the analytic break from the continental)>Aesthetics/Ethics (since both are about value statements which, in turn, lead to how we organize>the social/political

#-o I'd still put logic before metaphysics

And much as we did with the old school formula, we must reverse this into the same kind of infinite back and forth without beginning or end.

Of course, thanks to guys like Rorty and Deleuze (with and w/out Guattarri (we are no longer committed to such linear schemes. Now we are perfectly free to use whatever aspect (at any point in the process (is practical for the sake of discourse (Rorty) or bounce from the Metaphysical/Ontological to the Ethical/Aesthetic to the Logical/Epistemological to the Political/Social in any way that serves creative thought in the vast rhizomatic network of Deleuze and Guattarri: look at them as little more than tools in our philosopher’s toolbox.

That does make sense to me though I could have never put that in my own words but i do understand what you're saying. Almost reminds me of the saying - God writes straight with crooked lines. lol
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Esthetics Study of Art What can life be like

or maybe another way of putting this is what does it reveal about life, if that made sense.


Maybe just a case of semantics here? Of course, whatever category of aesthetics or art, it does reveal what life is or was and it also conjures up in one's imaginaton what more can be said of a particular work of art... I once wrote my musings from my imagination and thoughts/feelings that Van Gogh's "Shoes" instilled in me. That's also the beauty of art - how much further our minds and imagination can take us through it,
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Is your relationship to philosophy substantially or even only determined by aesthetics?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby James S Saint » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Arminius wrote:Is your relationship to philosophy substantially or even only determined by aesthetics?

Arc is just an aesthetic kind of gal. 8)

And she was right about this;
Arcturus Descending wrote:I remember reading what James (JSS) said - that logic needs to go before metaphysics and i kind of go along with that. Then metaphysics but I would actually put ethics before metaphysics lol because to me ethics or What should I do is more important and more interesting.

Rationality (aka "Ethics") is a more primary concern than the metaphysics supporting it. Ethics or rationality dictates the purpose for any particular metaphysics (which btw, has no particular concern for there being a god or not). But I'm not sure that they can really be separated. What should be done is contingent upon what is. And what is, is contingent upon what is relevant to the purpose of organizing it into a truth model, "a metaphysics".
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby luddites » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:36 am

Philosophy is alive and well. If you know where to look.
I have vacated this account.
luddites
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 am

No. Philosophy is not alive. Philosophy may be good, anyway, I like it.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Arminius wrote:Is your relationship to philosophy substantially or even only determined by aesthetics?

If you're speaking to me here, no, it is not. One can say that I am more of an "everything" kind of woman lol. I have no "special" ~~ "special" interest ~~ I don't think when it comes to philosophy. If you were to ask me to at least try to pinpoint the one, it would probably be ethics.

****

[b]esthetics, also spelled esthetics , the philosophical study of beauty and taste. It is closely related to the philosophy of art, which is concerned with the nature of art and the concepts in terms of which individual works of art are interpreted and evaluated.

****
I may be wrong here in my interpretation of that, but that seems to be more of a scholarly focus to me, an individual's main interest. But maybe I'm wrong, Like I said, I am interested in all branches, not deeply because I am not brilliant but still interested in the way in which they can bring one to seek out truth, answer questions which lead to more questions, attain wisdom...not philosophy for its own sake but how it can enrich me, help me to re-discover myself, transform me... it can at times really turn me on I guess because thinking and wondering and trying to grasp at things, even having the mind boggled down, really is capable of bringing us into another world.
I might even say that if I had only one more day to live - like tomorrow - the one thing, well, of course, it would be to spend the time with my children, but if I couldn't do that - I would probably spend that time in the park being with nature, harmonizing with it and reading a philosophy book or a psychology book :oops: or maybe one of Joseph Campbell's books or Rumi.

Nature brings me to aesthetics, to wonder, to imagine, to create, for instance, to poetry.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Arminius wrote:
d63 wrote:Logic is after all, as is suggested by thinkers like Chomsky and Pinker, a product of the language we use to interact with the world which is, in turn, a product of the physiological structures of the brain.

There is an interdependence between language and logic. But which of both came first? Chomsky and Pinker say: "language".

Logic comes first, else there can be no language. Logic is the consistency required for a language (or any thinking) to function at all, "A is A".


But James, don't you think that language DID come first. Didn't it all start with a kind of grunt? lol
I daresay though that consciousness came first. Can you even imagine the great difficulty it took to express that consciousness, one's thoughts and feelings with that grunt? I think logic came later, maybe much later considering what we have of it now.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 am

In any case:

One has to have electric transmitter, for example: nerves.

Without logic consciousness makes no sense because there must be a construction of a logical relationship for the consciousness, even also when it is merely an imagination. Without logic language makes also no sense. But what about logic? Does logic make sense without consciousness? No. Does logic make sense without language? Probably yes. A very primitive bacterium somehow "knows" what to do in order to survive, but probably does not need a language (note: language does not necessarily always mean "human language", but also "language for all beings").

Another consideration:

Luxury.

If we consider the principle "luxury", we come to other results: in that case namely the language came perhaps first because the sense behind it was simply the luxury from which other phenomena arose, e.g. logic. So the grunt (as an example) has only a meaning behind it because of the luxury of grunts.

Referring to the German scientist Paul Alsberg (cp. "Das Menschheitsrätsel, 1922) the German philosopher Peter Sloterdijk once said (in: Geo -Wissen, September 1998, p. 43-47): "The human beings are descended from the throw" ( :o ) and "human beings have no coat / fur / hide / pett anymore because they are luxury beings", no beings of adaptation to their environment (cp. Darwin and Darwinism), but on the contrary: beings of alienation,of insulation (cp. isles and islands). Human language, human sexuality, human emotions ... etc. are possibly caused by luxury. But what about language in general then?
Last edited by Arminius on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby James S Saint » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:51 am

Logic comes in four forms;
1) person reasoning, often "flawed logic"
2) the concept of logic; "A is A" or "what is, is what is".
3) the language/thoughts of logic; "If A is B and B is C then ...."
4) the reality of logic; the reality that what anything is, really is what it is.

That 4th form of logic "comes first" before anything and everything - "First Principle" (and has even been called "God", even by Moses).
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 pm

James,

Why did you say that I am an aesthetics kind of girl? Were you actually referring to aesthetics itself as is being discussed or something else? :mrgreen:
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15303
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 am

What do you think about the following classification?:

There are mathematics, logic (philosophy), linguistics, semiotics on the one side which is more spiritual than material, and there are physics, chemistry, biology, economy (incl. sociology and others) on the other side which is more material than spiritual. So we have:

    |Mathematics||Logic (Philosophy)||Linguistics||Semiotics| "versus" |Physics||Chemistry||Biology||Economy (Sociology a.o.)|
This is not merely meant in the sense of scientific disciplines, but also and especially in the sense of existence at all.

There are two sides of existence: a more spiritual than material and a more material than spiritual which are different concentrations of the same thing, interconvertible, and that means that they are similar to energy and mass).
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:10 pm

If you are in love with philosophy because of aesthetics, then please let me know.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby James S Saint » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:James,

Why did you say that I am an aesthetics kind of girl? Were you actually referring to aesthetics itself as is being discussed or something else? :mrgreen:

I was referring to this;
Aesthetics (/ɛsˈθɛtɪks/; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby d63 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 pm

"I remember reading what James (JSS) said - that logic needs to go before metaphysics and i kind of go along with that. "

Once again, Arturus, I agree that JSS makes a compelling point -that is since we tend to arrive at metaphysical conclusions via logic and lack the empirical means of confirming our metaphysical assertions. Still, I would argue (with some reservations and self questioning (that the import of Logic is propped up by metaphysical assumptions about how we must interact with reality.

That said, you make some compelling points yourself.Unfortunately, I am at the outre or coda phase of today's process. I hope to get back to this.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

First we read, then we write. -Emerson.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

I refuse to be taken seriously.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

:me
User avatar
d63
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby d63 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:01 pm

James S Saint wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:James,

Why did you say that I am an aesthetics kind of girl? Were you actually referring to aesthetics itself as is being discussed or something else? :mrgreen:

I was referring to this;
Aesthetics (/ɛsˈθɛtɪks/; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics) is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.


But you can combine this with ethics and make it matter of value statements.
Humble yourself or the world will do it for you -it was either Russell or Whitehead. I can't remember which.

When I was young, I use to think the world was a messed up place so i was pissed off a lot. But now that I'm older, I know it is. So I just don't worry about it. -John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten).

Anarchy through Capitalism -on a flyer thrown out during a Kottonmouth Kings concert.

First we read, then we write. -Emerson.

All poets are damned. But they are not blind. They see with the eyes of angels. -William Carlos Williams: in the introduction to Ginsberg's Howl.

You gotta love that moment when the work is done and all that is left to do is drink your beer and sip your jager and enjoy what you've done. It's why I do and love it.

I refuse to be taken seriously.

Once again: take care of your process and others will take care of theirs. No one needs a guru. Just someone to jam with.

:me
User avatar
d63
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:27 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Arminius » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 am

If you are in love with philosophy because of ethics, then please let me know.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]