Do you really love philosophy?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Do you really love philosophy?

Postby Only_Humean » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:29 am

I found this thread after issuing a warning elsewhere. Trixie gets a 24 hour cooling off.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Orbie » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:28 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
phoneutria wrote:I think you should probably shut up about obie, trix.

This an open boards. Im not going to be silent about
this. Orbie, get help.

There is no cure against love, especially for philosophy. Some say it's it'self an illness. For the cure, You'd sell not only Your body, but that of anyone close and dear to You. Thanks for the advice, sorry for Your ban, but it's nly 24 hours. Tkake a pill, go to bed, and You'll be laughing about it in the morning.

As always, orbie
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby Arminius » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:13 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:When they change their DNA, they will become more intelligient, more healthy, athletic, kind, and good looking. By more intelligient, I mean they will be able to program and understand massive equations that only idiot savants can. This will be the new average. Imagine all the world, full of geniuses, but without the negative attributes, like lacking social skills. If everyone is a scientist, as well as healthy and athletic, the world's problems will end. And not only that, but there will be great new suprises, improved relationships, and scientific progress and tech beyond your wildest dreams.

All from just modifying a little bit of DNA.

The changing of the human DNA has been being in the works for so long. .... Solutions? More good than bad or more bad than good? I would say more ....
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm

phoneutria wrote:I couldn't lay down the hammer on you even if I wanted to. Just pointing out that when you don't even know if someone is a he or a she, there is very little you can say about them without sounding like a little shit.

Why is the requirement of knowing someone's gender needed to sound eloquent?
I am losing my mind to mandess.
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 pm

phoneutria wrote:I couldn't lay down the hammer on you even if I wanted to. Just pointing out that when you don't even know if someone is a he or a she, there is very little you can say about them without sounding like a little shit.

Why is the requirement of knowing someone's gender needed to sound eloquent?

It's not at all -- unrealistically speaking of course, it might be perhaps if the male or female needs that extra push knowing the other's gender in order to impress a male or female with his/her eloquence, perhaps if he or she is looking for a mate. So it might simply be about looking for a mate.

On the other hand, is it possible that it might be needed from a person's perspective? It still comes down to that extra push, I think but - a man may use certain things: qualities, manipulations, logic/reason, heart/pathos, et cetera to sound eloquent to another man or woman and a woman -- the same thing.

That might not make any sense to you though Trixie girl. But in a way, it could make sense. People are always generalizing things in here like - men and women think and feel differently about things.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Men and women do think differently. You can always find a couple of transgendered lesbians here and there but that doesnt prove the bottom line.

To change the Dna I say we get a team of scientists together and make a DNA machine. We put the machine in several major cities and provide it as a free upgrade.
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher

Postby phoneutria » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 pm

No, what I meant is that you don't know the first thing about him.
I don't know a whole lot about him either, but just from the fact that he is elderly, there were probably not even personal computers when he was at student age, let alone www.
Sure he could study philosophy from used books, and there is no reason for you to ever assume that he wouldn't be able to figure that out by himself, and rather needed the money to pursue a degree in philosophy, not something unheard of, wanting to get a degree on a subject you love so you can find work in that field.
So who is it that needs to get help here? Sounds like you might need a little hand pulling your head out of your ass.
phoneutria
purveyor of enchantment, advocate of pulchritude AND venomously disarming

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 pm

phoneutria wrote:No, what I meant is that you don't know the first thing about him.
I don't know a whole lot about him either, but just from the fact that he is elderly, there were probably not even personal computers when he was at student age, let alone www.
Sure he could study philosophy from used books, and there is no reason for you to ever assume that he wouldn't be able to figure that out by himself, and rather needed the money to pursue a degree in philosophy, not something unheard of, wanting to get a degree on a subject you love so you can find work in that field.
So who is it that needs to get help here? Sounds like you might need a little hand pulling your head out of your ass.

Ooh, the spider speaks. Mighty brave 'talkin to a Trixie like that.
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 pm

phoneutria wrote:No, what I meant is that you don't know the first thing about him.

Never heard about philosophy jobs. Philosophy is about being destitute and not fitting into society. Satyr is one of the best philosophers here, and he lives with his mom. Same with the ancient greek philosophers. They took prestige in their destitution, and social awkwardness. Philosophy isnt about getting paid as a philosophy job, or getting a degree in modern philosophy, never was.
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:46 am

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Never heard about philosophy jobs. Philosophy is about being destitute and not fitting into society. Satyr is one of the best philosophers here, and he lives with his mom.

Shouldn't a philosopher live alone?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Ben JS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:33 am

A philosopher is a person, first and foremost.

Should all people live alone?

Now apply that answer to philosophers.
Formerly known as: Joe Schmoe

ben wrote:I think it is eloquently fitting that my farewell thread should be so graciously hijacked by such blatant penis waving. It condenses my entire ILP experience into one very manageable metaphor.
Ben JS
Human Being

Postby Arminius » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:40 am

Ben JS wrote:A philosopher is a person, first and foremost.

Most of the best philosophers of all times lived alone.

Should all people be philosophers?

Most of the people should not live alone (thus: should not be philosophers).
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Arminius wrote:
Ben JS wrote:A philosopher is a person, first and foremost.

Most of the best philosophers of all times lived alone.

Should all people be philosophers?Most of the people should not live alone (thus: should not be philosophers).

Lovers of Wisdom, yes.
It would certainly create a better world if all people were philosophers - lovers of wisdom and truth too.
I can't begin to imagine what that world would look like. Maybe like some kind of a beautiful monastery where all men (and women) work together to achieve a common goal.

Why did most of the best philosophers live alone? I'm asking.
Was it because basically they needed the silence and the outer and inner space?
Was it because basically their lives stemmed around their thinking and seeking rather than working for money - though being a philosopher is truly working - mental labor is much more difficult than physical labor.
Even a modern-day philosopher who works at philosophy - a university or any another job, needs that SPACE for himself.
He chooses a solitary life in the name of his first lOVE AND and PASSION.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby James S Saint » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:I can't begin to imagine what that world would look like. Maybe like some kind of a beautiful monastery where all men (and women) work together to achieve a common goal.

We dance.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Magnus Anderson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:47 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Ooh, the spider speaks. Mighty brave 'talkin to a Trixie like that.

She's being competitive.

By the way, wasn't your ideal to destroy the universe?
I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby objet petit a » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Arminius wrote:

Do I really love philosophy? Love? No, I don't love philosophy, but I like philosophy. Probably I like philosophy even very much, but I don't love philosophy.

But what about you? Do you really love philosophy?

Notice that the accentuation is on the word "love"!

One can love the next related and other next, but not the philosophy. Maybe I've merely mentioned a problem that belongs to the contrastive linguistics, because the English verb "love" is not exactly the same as e.g. the German verb "lieben", and the English substantive "love" is not exactly the same as e.g. the German substantive "Liebe", but even if it is so, it would also be a philosophical problem. The term "love" can refer to people, things, and everything else, but it doesn't do it to the same extent ​​or with the same intensity in all languages. What do you think, if someone says "I love stones" instead of "I like stones"? If "love" and "like" become the same or almost the same - I think that's the current semantic development of these two words -, then is is quite a loss of language and philosophy.

So again: Do you really love philosophy?

:romance-heart: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-hearteyes: :romance-smileyheart: (Philosophy?)

I have wondered about this myself. I do not think I really love it. I hunger for it sometimes. I can't stop it. So, I concluded philosophy was a birth defect that I have.
    Phase one, man objectifies in two cardinal numbers two collections he has counted; phase two, with these numbers he realizes the act of adding them up.
    ~Immanuel Kant

<<Warum willst du dich von uns Allen
    Und unsrer Meinung entfernen? >>
    - Ich schreibe nicht euch zu gefallen,
    Ihr sollt was lernen.
    ~Goethe
    objet petit a
    Thinker

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:29 am

Magnus Anderson wrote:
    GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Ooh, the spider speaks. Mighty brave 'talkin to a Trixie like that.

She's being competitive.

By the way, wasn't your ideal to destroy the universe?

Yes but I believe in upgrading the species first and letting them have their fun for a while.
    GreatandWiseTrixie
    Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:54 pm

objet petit a wrote:
    Arminius wrote:

Do I really love philosophy? Love? No, I don't love philosophy, but I like philosophy. Probably I like philosophy even very much, but I don't love philosophy.

One can love the next related and other next, but not the philosophy. Maybe I've merely mentioned a problem that belongs to the contrastive linguistics, because the English verb "love" is not exactly the same as e.g. the German verb "lieben", and the English substantive "love" is not exactly the same as e.g. the German substantive "Liebe", but even if it is so, it would also be a philosophical problem. The term "love" can refer to people, things, and everything else, but it doesn't do it to the same extent ​​or with the same intensity in all languages. What do you think, if someone says "I love stones" instead of "I like stones"? If "love" and "like" become the same or almost the same - I think that's the current semantic development of these two words -, then is is quite a loss of language and philosophy.

:romance-heart: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-hearteyes: :romance-smileyheart: (Philosophy?)

I have wondered about this myself. I do not think I really love it. I hunger for it sometimes. I can't stop it. So, I concluded philosophy was a birth defect that I have.

Can philosophy be a "birth defect"?
      Arminius
      ILP Legend

Postby objet petit a » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:29 pm

It is a condition that I have suffered from since an extremely young age. As young as my memories go. No one else I know has it. it has impeded me from being what others call 'a success', or even 'socially acceptable'; maybe even 'compliable'. It must be a defect, then. So, a birth defect. :lol:
      Phase one, man objectifies in two cardinal numbers two collections he has counted; phase two, with these numbers he realizes the act of adding them up.
      ~Immanuel Kant

<<Warum willst du dich von uns Allen
      Und unsrer Meinung entfernen? >>
      - Ich schreibe nicht euch zu gefallen,
      Ihr sollt was lernen.
      ~Goethe
      objet petit a
      Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Arminius wrote:
      objet petit a wrote:
      Arminius wrote:

Can philosophy be a "birth defect"?

Only perhaps if one or two of the parents had it within their bloodstream or thir genes.
        I'd call philosophy more of a healthy, optimal addiction.
        SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arminius » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 pm

objet petit a wrote:It is a condition that I have suffered from since an extremely young age. As young as my memories go. No one else I know has it. it has impeded me from being what others call 'a success', or even 'socially acceptable'; maybe even 'compliable'. It must be a defect, then. So, a birth defect. :lol:

Bist Du sicher?
        Are you sure?

"As young as your memories go" - that means: when you were about 2 to 3 years old. So you do still not know for sure whether it is a "birth defect" or not. And to "hunger for" philosophy "sometimes", as you said, does not necessarily mean that it is a "defect". But if you "can't stop it", as you also said, then it could probably be a "defect". Hmm .... :-k
        Arminius
        ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Arminius wrote:And what are your "ideals"?

My ideals, is that humans are mostly retards, and they need their DNA changed.

Those aren't ideals, Trixie. They are opinions.
        Truth is beauty is an ideal.
        Nature is Divine I think is an ideal.
        SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

Postby Orbie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Sorry Arc to change the venue, but i am so much enthralled. I am literally sitting in Les Deux Magots, on Boulevard St. Germain, sipping beer, (they still serve absenthe), where among others, Sartre sat ca. 1940-44. I have amazing vibes here, and next door
        is another place Cafe de Flores, well it's indescribable, but i am in 7th heaven.
        I am only writng this in support of the OP, that I
        really love philosophy. The situation, the setting, the atmosphere, are all perfect, and it's a rainy day but sitting under a glass canopy, where i can see and smell the raindrops.

I am vey exited to be here and be able to share this experience with all at ILP.
        [size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance

In answer to your prayer
        sincere, the centre of
        your circle here,
        i stand ; and , without
        taking thought,-
        i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
        you be men
        This: Re-Creation. With a
        bow,
        Then, your obedient

servant now.
        One gift is all i find in me,
        And that is faithful
        memory
        Orbie
        partly cloudy, with a few showers

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Orbie wrote:Sorry Arc to change the venue, but i am so much enthralled. I am literally sitting in Les Deux Magots, on Boulevard St. Germain, sipping beer, (they still serve absenthe), where among others, Sartre sat ca. 1940-44. I have amazing vibes here, and next door
        is another place Cafe de Flores, well it's indescribable, but i am in 7th heaven.
        I am only writng this in support of the OP, that I
        really love philosophy. The situation, the setting, the atmosphere, are all perfect, and it's a rainy day but sitting under a glass canopy, where i can see and smell the raindrops.

I am vey exited to be here and be able to share this experience with all at ILP.

Wow! I wish that i was with you there, sweet Rumi. It seems like a wonderful place to be. And the rain may be adding to the ambiance and (magic) of it. Rain is inspiring. You can imagine Sartre sitting across from you. What do you think his words might be to you? "Well, orbie I'm told that you absolutely love philosophy as I did" (that is, if he did love it as much as you do) He was an existentialist I think(?)
        Enjoy your moments there. Are you getting sloshed again? Btw, I knew you were a bit sloshed when i read your words yesterday. Isn't absenthe the stuff that Sherlock Holmes drank and Dorian Gray in the book? Isn't that really strong stuff, orbie.

I love the smell of raindrops. I love each one individually.
        Why don't you sit and write a poem, a short one or long one, while you're sitting there. Let Sartre inspire you. :mrgreen:

No need to say sorry orbie. You're in the Do You really Love Philosophy thread so you're observing the spirit of the law and there is nothing wrong with saying "hello" to everyone from a place where Sartre once enjoyed his being.

I am enthralled along with you. Many happy moments, sweet Rumi. But be careful.

Il ya seulement un jour à gauche, en commençant toujours plus: Il nous est donné à l'aube et nous enlève au crépuscule ".
        Sartre
        SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:03 pm

orbie,

Happy Birthday Sweet Rumi. I didn't know. :occasion-birthday: :occasion-cake: :occasion-gift:
        SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy