Doing... nothing!?

People, and especially men, hate being alone with their thoughts so much that they’d rather be in pain. In a study published in Science on the ability of people to let their minds “wander” — that is, for them to sit and do nothing but think — researchers found that about a quarter of women and two-thirds of men chose electric shocks over their own company.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/07/03/most-men-would-rather-shock-themselves-than-be-alone-with-their-thoughts/

Staying alone with your self is hard.
Most people try to fill in their time with activities, so that they avoid any unpleasant encounters with their own… thoughts.
We live in a society which promotes doing things rather than just… wandering.
We have lost our connection to the cosmos.
We have lost our connections with our self.
Try to sit alone and do nothing.
And you will see that it is only then that you actually do something…

What do you think? Do you stay alone with your thoughts at all? Or do you feel the need to “do something” all the time?

I am always doing that. It is a darn good way to relax, find answers and remove mental fatigue. Total control all the time is exhausting and stressfull, I get enough of that.

Association is not causation.

When the nervous system has been compromised, the mind strategically seeks momentous activity, for a good reason.

Which self are referring to? This is one of the most mis-used words in psychology (as if there is a battle going on on who gets to define what it is… everybody is talking about the Self).

how about the psyche

Which part: the conscious or the subconscious?

Both, I think that sometimes the conscious part is more a mystery than the unconscious.
Poor self - where does it leave one. :frowning:

The psyche is fought with fear of return to the supposed singularity of identity. That identity is a pre cognitive purely perceptive amalgam of pure potentiality.It is neither or both : conscious and pre conscious. It is not poor, it has insurmountable potential wealth at it’s disposal.

Null is a bit part of our elemental body.
However, null and void are rejected and hated by humans.
Humans prefer a false existence that is very sensual, compared to a non sentual truer existence.

So-called nothing contains a lot. Especially an infinite free energy source.

Unless you are a solitary personality.

It isn’t a “natural” instinct in humans. If the nervous system hasn’t been medically corrupted, a human adult has very little resistance or complaint of being still.

Being still or free of control of thought?

Aren't they synonomous?

Kind of depends what you mean by “control of thought”. A priority in the process of thinking can be called “control of thought”, without which, any and all thoughts get scrambled into meaningless rambling, reducing the person to nothing but a mush of puppeted fleshy goo, known as a “zombie”.

There is a psychological means to create an incurable zombie that is slowly lethal and often inadvertently or intentionally applied to many people, but let’s not get into anti-social weaponry.

It all depends on what thoughts come forth in the dark and not least - definitely not least - what memories invade under that twilight condition of remaining still.

One theory is that all descended from a single essence. There is the first void, then there is modern void. All changes with time, with few exceptions. The first void could house living spirits, but the modern void can house less things, and it is less consintrated and pure than it used to be.

Some souls are from an anti-void, as are some worlds.
Human nature is to try to avoid neutrality and stillness at all times.

I was referring to that person you talk to when you are alone with your thoughts… :wink:

Oh, that person. :laughing:
For many, that person is not even worth speaking with.
Dig a little deeper.

Hi obe, :evilfun:

I think they’re kind of synonous. My mind can be still - free of deliberate, controlled thought, free from conjuring up emotions… it’s just like simply “being there” - and ALLOWING - allowing thought to enter in, allowing thoughts to simply leave. A still mind doesn’t have to be a dorman one.

The key word here is “control”.

This is what Nietzsche calls reaction and that’s what makes a slave a slave. Their brains have lost the ability to conserve energy, i.e. to relax, and are now constantly exhausting themselves in order to avoid dangerous situations (which are mostly mental for them.) “Russian fatalism” is the solution.

The question is: do we even want these people to stop being slaves? If they started having their own thoughts, pretty sure most of them would quit their day jobs and then what? Then we’re back to jungle.