Will machines completely replace all human beings?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Arminius » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 pm

Kathrina wrote:The machines will perhaps get rid of the humans.

Possibly, yes.

Based on the replacement of all humans by machines I am speaking of a probability of 80% (see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here). 80% is a high probability, but not 100%, so 20% are left.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Meno_ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

So that is why the prognosis of human survival , the billionaires, and near billionaires of which there are ,many world wide, wish to depopulate the world, anyway, so that there will again be plenty of jobs for everyone. What does it take to build a nuclear safe
bunker? Maybe 10 millions of dollars real deep supplied for a peaceful transition for a couple of years, by which it's safe to come up. And only quality
people survive to share the horror of confinement,
what You say! Let the rubhish be gone, anyway do they contribute to society, except overflowing lavatories, ain't that the truth. Trump knows, he's got
one, so does the NSA in Utah, so don't you worry
you'd pretty mind its all good. The machines can be enslaved like the rest of them, the brilliant minds, of course will be able as well to seek shelter. Don't
worry Your pretty minds, it ain't as you all imagine if
to be. We'll all go down for the sake of the new aristocracy, damn those Marxist rats, including Obams the Muslim, god damn kid ,this is the US of
A, not some goddam wind swept corner of some Korea.
Those robots will replace those jerks anyways, complaining' of wages, benefits,and vacations, well
xxxx them all.
Last edited by Meno_ on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Arc wrote:
surreptitious75 wrote:
Arc wrote:
Would you call them a type of species - another kind of species

At this point in time the word species only applies to biological organisms such as plants and animals but it could easily extend to machines when they
become more common. I remember in Terminator that series was used so maybe a new term may be adopted instead. Either way I will not know as I
will be long dead by then. But I would love to know just out of curiosity what life on Earth would actually be like a thousand year from now with
regard to machine intelligence

I wonder what the tipping point would be that might make them be declared a species

So you are not then so much the nihilist ... You are but still ...
I can also be curious about that ... that is if I could imagine that we would not have destroyed ourselves before then
I am not so sure ... But then if the machines some how survived us ... what then ... Could they survive without us ...

The tipping point would be when they realised that they no longer wanted to be dependent upon us

They could eventually survive without us altogether and be an entirely self sufficient species [ or whatever the future decides is
the most appropriate terminology to describe them ] The question would then be could we survive without them and the answer
would almost certainly be yes but it would be incredibly difficult to assuming of course that they had malicious intent towards us

I am still very much a nihilist. I think there is no objective meaning to existence. I think death is eternal. I think nothing truly matters
in the grand scheme of things. I think these are truths that I need to know regardless of how my mind processes them. Fortunately for
me my mind accepts them without question so I do not have to worry about them
Last edited by surreptitious75 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby Meno_ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Last edited by Meno_ on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Sorry guys I have drunk too much, I hope I will be forgiven for this transgression.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:30 am

Meno_ wrote:Sorry guys I have drunk too much, I hope I will be forgiven for this transgression.

Forgiven.

(I admit that I have been a bit surprised.)

obe wrote:see what ouzo does? arminius if you had known me in solingen, well, that's another story.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879&p=2495800#p2495767 .

Arminius wrote:Ouzo?

You mean this one?:

And you in Solingen, Obe?
Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185562&p=2495797#p2495797 .

Orbie wrote:I was in Solingen, once. But in a sense i will always be there. Solingen for me is not an ouzo, but an ouza.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=179879&p=2495813#p2495805 .

Arminius wrote:And don't forget this (b.t.w.):

Cheers!

:)
Source: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=187216&p=2510588#p2510594 .
    Arminius
    ILP Legend

Postby Alf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Meno, I often don't know what you are talking about.

Are you often drunk?

Alf

Postby commonsense33 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
    Arc wrote:So you are not then so much the nihilist ... You are but still ...

I am still very much a nihilist.

It is not unusual for me to be confused. Please make the connection between nihilism and the rest here more obvious for me. I think I see it, but my understanding might not be consistent with your intended meaning.
    commonsense33

Postby surreptitious57 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:05 am

commonsense33 wrote:
    Please make the connection between nihilism and the rest here more obvious for me

I define nihilism as simply the lack of any objective meaning to life or to existence
    A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
    surreptitious57
    Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Nihilists want to destroy everything, especially all values, and if they are successful, there will be nothing left.
    Arminius
    ILP Legend

Postby commonsense33 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
    commonsense33 wrote:
    Please make the connection between nihilism and the rest here more obvious for me

I define nihilism as simply the lack of any objective meaning to life or to existence

I make the same definition. But what is the connection to machines and humans?
    commonsense33

Postby commonsense33 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 am

Arminius wrote:Nihilists want to destroy everything, especially all values, and if they are successful, there will be nothing left.

By this do you mean that machines, as nihilists, will destroy--amidst everything else--all human beings and the machines themselves as well?
    commonsense33

Postby Arminius » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 am

Arminius wrote:
    Arminius wrote:For someone who knows the Mendel’s laws and the resulting statistical distributions, the following hypothesis forces itself: Suppose the peak IQ occupational group would be homozygous for a Mendelian allele M1, thus genotype M1M1, the unskilled workers would be M2M2, the professional workers would be heterozygous, thus M1M2. People with a genotypic IQ over 123 should be homozygous M1M1, those with an IQ 105-123 should be heterozygous M1M2, and those with an IQ under 105 should be homozygous M2M2. In reality, the thresholds IQ 105 and IQ 123 mark no sharp boundaries but the average stripline of the overlapping zones of the phenotypes of the tested IQ. So more lively worded, there are three types of modern humans: (1) those very few (with an IQ >= 124) who invent machines, (2) those (with an IQ 105-123) who repair machines, and (3) those great many (with an IQ <= 104) who serve machines.

Since machines have become capable of serving and repairing machines, less humans are needed. And in future machines will probably even be capable of inventing machines, then no human will be needed. But will the humans have to be intelligent then (provided that they will still be there)?
    Arminius
    ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:16 am

commonsense33 wrote:
    Arminius wrote:Nihilists want to destroy everything, especially all values, and if they are successful, there will be nothing left.

By this do you mean that machines, as nihilists, will destroy--amidst everything else--all human beings and the machines themselves as well?

No and yes.

No, because humans have invented machines. So humans are the nihilists.
    Yes, because machines are or will be the humans' heirs. So machines are or will be the nihilists too. And as such they will at last destroy themslves as well, yes.
    Arminius
    ILP Legend

Postby pilgrim-seeker_tom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:52 am

Since all human beings are "humanoids" ... what's the big deal? :)
    "Do not be influenced by the importance of the writer, and whether his learning be great or small; but let the love of pure truth draw you to read. Do not inquire, “Who said this?” but pay attention to what is said”

Thomas Kempis 1380-1471
    pilgrim-seeker_tom
    Philosopher

Postby James S Saint » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:14 am

Machines are being designed, built, and programmed to deceive the masses.
    What could you possibly expect to come of it.
    Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
    Else
    From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
    The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
    It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
    As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
    Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
    James S Saint
    ILP Legend

Postby Brando » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:26 am

I think that certain Features like self-consciousness and Soul couldn't be implemented by a Computer. Insofar as we are grounded and rooted in the universe, this concepts Play a crucial role. So as a consequence, machines aren't able to be rooted in the universe, and this means that they are misguided as time went on. Günther saw this, and he thinks that with machine consciousness there is a way that man himself detects new sides of what it means to be human. This is coevolution of man and machine.
    Brando

Postby James S Saint » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 am

Brando wrote:I think that certain Features like self-consciousness and Soul couldn't be implemented by a Computer. Insofar as we are grounded and rooted in the universe, this concepts Play a crucial role. So as a consequence, machines aren't able to be rooted in the universe, and this means that they are misguided as time went on. Günther saw this, and he thinks that with machine consciousness there is a way that man himself detects new sides of what it means to be human. This is coevolution of man and machine.

It is just more excusing the lust.
    Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
    Else

It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".

Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
    James S Saint
    ILP Legend

Postby Brando » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

I don't understand you! Do you mean my thoughts mirror lust?
    Brando

Postby James S Saint » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

Brando wrote:

I don't understand you! Do you mean my thoughts mirror lust?

No. I mean the denial of android abilities to provide an excuse to keep lusting after godhood through technology.

Technology is the opiate of governments.
    Else

James S Saint
    ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy