Will machines completely replace all human beings?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Postby Tortis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:27 pm

James S Saint wrote:And realize that "human" merely means the "hue of man", the lower component in the make of Man.

This is just garbage. The word "human" comes from "homo", Latin for "man".
Tortis

Postby James S Saint » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm

Tortis wrote:
James S Saint wrote:And realize that "human" merely means the "hue of man", the lower component in the make of Man.

This is just garbage. The word "human" comes from "homo", Latin for "man".

Plebeian BS. "Homo" means self and/or home. "Man" means manager/manipulator/governor.

All homo-sapiens were not humans. Humans didn't even exist until the age of Ahdam, the first [recorded] autonomic societal Man-ager.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Tortis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:56 pm

James S Saint wrote:Plebeian BS. "Homo" means self and/or home. "Man" means manager/manipulator/governor.

All homo-sapiens were not humans. Humans didn't even exist until the age of Ahdam, the first [recorded] autonomic societal Man-ager.

So is this the sort of thing you regard as "excellent" Arminius?
Tortis

Postby Arminius » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Tortis wrote:
James S Saint wrote:Plebeian BS. "Homo" means self and/or home. "Man" means manager/manipulator/governor.

So is this the sort of thing you regard as "excellent" Arminius?

Is the aspect of agreement or disagreement the only aspect to you when it comes to "excellence"?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Tortis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Arminius wrote:Is the aspect of agreement or disagreement the only aspect to you when it comes to "excellence"?

You're the one who characterised his contributions as "excellent" Arminius, I think what he writes is quite obviously worthless crap but I'm always ready to change my views if provided with a reason to do so. So I'm interested to know what it is that you think is "excellent" about contributions like these. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Tortis

Postby James S Saint » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Tortis wrote:
Arminius wrote:Is the aspect of agreement or disagreement the only aspect to you when it comes to "excellence"?

You're the one who characterised his contributions as "excellent" Arminius, I think what he writes is quite obviously worthless crap but I'm always ready to change my views if provided with a reason to do so. So I'm interested to know what it is that you think is "excellent" about contributions like these. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

For someone who knows near to nothing about how computers do what they can do, you spout an awful lot of naive opinions concerning what they are capable of doing. But that much is to be expected. When you then ad hom attack someone else for not contributing the same level of ignorance as yourself, things become a little different, less professional, less "excellent".

You won't recognize good from bad until it is brought down to your level of hate this or love that regardless of truth - somewhat mindless ranting. Thus you complain of the posting of someone you hate as "not interesting" (as if being interesting to you personally was the least bit significant):
Tortis wrote:James, if you are going to continue to engage with this discussion I do wish you would say something just a little bit interesting.

..not merely an attempt to be insulting, a less than civil response, but your first engagement with that poster.

Another poster and the thread stater who has read every post and had a great deal of encounters with that same person on this topic and many others answers your insult by claiming that the posts have been "excellent". So then you try to argue about his qualification for knowing what is excellent or not, while also claiming to be giving the benefit of doubt.

These are the defense characteristics of someone who knows that he doesn't measure up himself and thus must revert to attacking anyone who disagrees with him and who can't merely discuss the topic at hand (being too ignorant of it).

In short, apparently due to your ignorance of the topic and lack of civility, you are bantering and ranting OFF TOPIC so as to instigate an ad hom attack on one poster with whom you have had nearly no exchange (under your nouveaux nom de plume).

You are showing far less than "excellent" posting yourself - hardly in a position to judge others.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else

It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".

Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Tortis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:14 am

It's not an ad hominem James: it's your writing I think is crap, not you. But Arminius thinks it's excellent, so let's give him an opportunity to say why.
Tortis

Postby James S Saint » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Tortis wrote:It's not an ad hominem James: it's your writing I think is crap, not you. But Arminius thinks it's excellent, so let's give him an opportunity to say why.

And your distraction comments are crap and OFF TOPIC.

And as long as you are addressing the people rather than the subject matter, which you obviously know nothing about, it most certainly IS an ad hominem (aka "addressing/referencing the person").
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Tortis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:39 pm

James S Saint wrote:
And as long as you are addressing the people rather than the subject matter, which you obviously know nothing about, it most certainly IS an ad hominem (aka "addressing/referencing the person").

But I was addressing the subject matter James, as I said, I'm talking about the crap you write, not you personally.

For example that crap you wrote about the derivation of "human".
Tortis

Postby phyllo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm

I suggest that you move beyond it. James makes up all sorts of weird etymologies.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Tortis wrote:
James S Saint wrote:

But I was addressing the subject matter James, as I said, I'm talking about the crap you write, not you personally.

And he continues.

ad ho·mi·nem
ˌad ˈhämənəm/
adverb & adjective
adverb: ad hominem; adjective: ad hominem

1. (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"
2. relating to or associated with a particular person.

• Is clueless about the capability of computers yet argues
  • argues the wrong Latin meaning of "Man" and "human".
  • argues the wrong meaning of "ad hominem"
  • discourteously distracts and derails a thread for personal vengeance
I could design a computer to do what you do pretty easily.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Only_Humean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 pm

This isn't an ad hominem attack. But this thread is getting discourteous, and I'd like to request that the people taking part rectify that please.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Tortis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 am

phyllo wrote: James makes up all sorts of weird etymologies.

Which is a waste of everybody's time and effort. That's what I'd like to see changed.
Tortis

Postby Mithus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Tortis wrote:

Which is a waste of everybody's time and effort. That's what I'd like to see changed.

Right from the beginning of this thread, James posted a lot of interesting things concerning the abilities of machines. If you want evidence for the excellence of his posts, you just have to make an effort and read the thread.

You came in here recently, posted a few things about computer-“art“ and since then, you do nothing else than ranting against James. The thread is not about him. It's about the question whether machines will replace all human beings. And it has been highly informative before you turned it into a personcentered battle.You are continuously derailing. That's what I would like to see changed.
..... panta rhei .............................................
Mithus

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm

If Donald Trump was the last man standing at this time, what would he opt to do with them?
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Only_Humean » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Let's try and keep things related to the subject at hand, please.

On a related, lighthearted note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsF7enQY8uI

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Only_Humean wrote:Let's try and keep things related to the subject at hand, please.

O_H, if the above was for me, I meant that as a legitimate question.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Arminius wrote:
James S Saint wrote:
In Man's lust to be God (to be the determiner of all things), he finds ways of doing without organic life because organic life is not very controllable.

That's MY thoughts!

Do you really see God to be the determiner of all things, James?
It appears that God has failed.
Does man actually lust to be God or to be self-autonomous? albeit there are and have been some who want to become what they "see" God to be.

Wouldn't you say that the above would appear to be self-defeating behavior?

he finds ways of doing without organic life because organic life is not very controllable.

Couldn't it have more to do with saving time, cost and energy in the long run?

Inorganic life is not necessarily that controllable either since it is organic life with all of its flaws and limited intelligence and foresight which designs it.

Will machines completely replace all human beings?

Do machines have consciousness, a sense of wonder, the instinct to survive? Can a machine write a poem, paint a landscape, discuss philosophy, make the decision to value human rights and justice and to fight for those things?

Aren't we the determiners of the machine? Can the created be above the creator? I didn't express that well.

Can the machine be self-adapting and self-adjusting?
I don't figure that the machine would outlive and become the higher life (though inorganic) form
Last edited by Arcturus Descending on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Meno_ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:28 pm

But if God was compelled to design a man, would He not need a design such as man, and would he then not have produced such ,as indistinguishable from what a machine is?

Perhaps in a very far away future, a machine like us would need to look, act and think like a machine like us with the exact same requirements, if by that time it's possible to do so.

Would a perfect human simulation be called a machine or, a man.?
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:50 pm

jerkey wrote:But if God was compelled to design a man, would He not need a design such as man, and would he then not have produced such ,as indistinguishable from what a machine is?

Perhaps in a very far away future, a machine like us would need to look, act and think like a machine like us with the exact same requirements, if by that time it's possible to do so.

Would a perfect human simulation be called a machine or, a man.?

Data from Star Trek was an android. He was perfect perhaps as an android but was he a man? No and he realized this and this is why he longed to actually be a man. He realized that he was made to be a machine, the ultimate machine...and he did everything in his power to evolve but just how far could he go?

Human beings can "perfect" in a sense machines but remember how long it has taken for the process to make a human being a human being.

Unless this human simulation has consciousness, an organic body, human DNA, which bleeds, feels love and hate, a sense of wonderment, has great imagination - has literally evolved into a human being as evolution planned, it is still a simulation, not a human being.

Why would a machine need to look like us in the future?
A machine that looked just like me sometime in the future might in some real sense be more perfect than me but then again, since it could not be human like me, it could never be as perfect...even if it could be more functioning.
Our kind of consciousness sets us apart, don't you think?
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby James S Saint » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:53 pm

And perhaps organic life is merely the necessary precursor to the perfected mechanized life form, otherwise incapable of forming on such a planet as Earth.

Perhaps like the ape to the human or even the parent to the child, you are but the caterpillar to your much superior replacement.

Perhaps the wisdom is that each stage keeps replacing itself until it finally reaches a level of intelligence to understand how to not go any further - to learn how to be joyfully and successfully stable (aka "The End of Days").

Evolution would dictate such.
Else

James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Some Guy in History » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:55 pm

for any machine to look like you in the future, it would need help, from you and from those surrounding you. And if it were to create a perfect copy of you, still would not be perfect.

Behind the mask is nothing; just an ideal, an idea, a hope. It is undying, impossible to hide. Anonymity isn't something you feign or pretend at, it's where your life takes you as you walk down a road you had no choice but to walk down. The mask isn't something to hide behind, nor a cover for a visage burned, but what the world forces you to wear to become their version of you.
Some Guy in History
Philosopher

Postby Arminius » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:23 pm

Mithus wrote:
Tortis wrote:

Right from the beginning of this thread, James posted a lot of interesting things concerning the abilities of machines. If you want evidence for the excellence of his posts, you just have to make an effort and read the thread.

You came in here recently, posted a few things about computer-“art“ and since then, you do nothing else than ranting against James. The thread is not about him. It's about the question whether machines will replace all human beings. And it has been highly informative before you turned it into a personcentered battle.You are continuously derailing. That's what I would like to see changed.

Agreed.

Only_Humean wrote:Let's try and keep things related to the subject at hand, please.

Agreed.

Do not miss the point, please.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 pm

James S Saint wrote:And perhaps organic life is merely the necessary precursor to the perfected mechanized life form, otherwise incapable of forming on such a planet as Earth.

Perhaps like the ape to the human or even the parent to the child, you are but the caterpillar to your much superior replacement.

Perhaps the wisdom is that each stage keeps replacing itself until it finally reaches a level of intelligence to understand how to not go any further - to learn how to be joyfully and successfully stable (aka "The End of Days").

Evolution would dictate such.

That is possible, yes.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Kathrina » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:14 am

Torture machines:

Kathrina

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy