Hume was an idiot

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Hume was an idiot

Postby dionysos_pseudanor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:01 am

MechanicalMonster wrote:Perhaps it was presumptuous of me to assume anyone here has actually read Hume.

I, for one, have read a great deal of Hume, and much of it with some care.

Have you considered the possibility that, considering your unimpressive foregoing display, none of us simply want to bother?

As a matter of fact, I have all of the relevant passages which I need to show you your misapprehension of this fine philosopher in front of me right now. But then why would I want to point out all of the details to you when I sincerely doubt that you even want them?
dionysos_pseudanor

Postby MechanicalMonster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 am

dionysos_pseudanor wrote:
MechanicalMonster wrote:Perhaps it was presumptuous of me to assume anyone here has actually read Hume.

I, for one, have read a great deal of Hume, and much of it with some care.

Have you considered the possibility that, considering your unimpressive foregoing display, none of us simply want to bother?

As a matter of fact, I have all of the relevant passages which I need to show you your misapprehension of this fine philosopher in front of me right now. But then why would I want to point out all of the details to you when I sincerely doubt that you even want them?

Yeah, you can't be bothered, exactly.

Is this even philosophy? What the fuck is this forum, anyway?

Put up or shut up. Give me your demonstration of Hume's thought, if you can. I'm calling your bluff.
"He who would not sacrifice his own soul to save the whole world, is, as it seems to me, illogical in all his inferences, collectively." --Peirce
MechanicalMonster
Philosopher

Postby dionysos_pseudanor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 am

MechanicalMonster wrote:Put up or shut up. Give me your demonstration of Hume's thought, if you can. I'm calling your bluff.

I'll consider it. Can you at least do half of what I recommended earlier?

dionysos_pseudanor wrote:1. Try to state Hume's position regarding induction (or cause and effect, etc.) in, say, a sentence or two.
dionysos_pseudanor

Postby MechanicalMonster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 am

Actually no, my presumption was to act as if anyone here is interested in philosophy.
"He who would not sacrifice his own soul to save the whole world, is, as it seems to me, illogical in all his inferences, collectively." --Peirce
MechanicalMonster
Philosopher

Postby MechanicalMonster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:10 am

dionysos_pseudanor wrote:
MechanicalMonster wrote:Put up or shut up. Give me your demonstration of Hume's thought, if you can. I'm calling your bluff.

I'll consider it. Can you at least do half of what I recommended earlier?

dionysos_pseudanor wrote:1. Try to state Hume's position regarding induction (or cause and effect, etc.) in, say, a sentence or two.

You don't get to fucking dictate to me. I've already given that, plenty of times. You aren't interested, you can't produce shit and you can get the fuck off my thread.
MechanicalMonster
Philosopher

Postby MechanicalMonster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:11 am

This is my thread, no one is forcing you to participate here.

You can't even have the human decency to form a fucking argument against anything I've said here. And you will "think about" making one so long as I dance to your little game? You can fuck off if that is what you think.
MechanicalMonster
Philosopher

Postby dionysos_pseudanor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 am

MechanicalMonster wrote:This is my thread, no one is forcing you to participate here.

You can't even have the human decency to form a fucking argument against anything I've said here. And you will "think about" making one so long as I dance to your little game? You can fuck off if that is what you think.

No really, I'm promising you that I'll extend you that human decency. It's just that, looking back over this thread, I'm really not at all clear on what your understanding of Hume's position on the problem of, say, induction even is. I don't understand what you've been saying when you refer to his gaps and voids and such. If you could restate your understanding of his position, in a clear and concise way, I'll see if anything in his writings could possibly support your stated understanding.
dionysos_pseudanor

Postby Only_Humean » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm

MechanicalMonster wrote:
Only_Humean wrote:MM: anon's request is not unreasonable, and your answer was vague, referring to a book rather than a quote.

He asked for me to point him in the right direction, he didn't ask for a quote.

Why are you compelled to defend him? Is that your role here?

Not at all; I'm not compelled. I just saw you getting frustrated at having to make your case with concrete arguments and hoped to explain why people are reacting the way they are.

You can by all means refer to your profound understand of Hume by what he doesn't say, of course, but when you additionally state that you are under no obligation to prove your further understanding, I hope you can understand that it takes on an appearance completely indistinguishable from hot air and bluff. Whether that bothers you or not is, of course, up to you. But it won't encourage people to heed you in the future.

Not my problem if you or anyone else can't even bother to engage the subject, in which case I have to ask, why are you here?

It seems to be you that is frustrated and aggressive in your replies. Hence my thinking it was your problem.

I've made my argument numerous times here. It is strange no one wants to take it on. Well maybe not that strange, actually.

And repeating "You don't know what you're talking about" is not a valid form of argument, by the way. A moderator ought to know that.

Perhaps it was presumptuous of me to assume anyone here has actually read Hume.

I've read the Treatise and the Enquiries; the Treatise was the first "proper" philosophy book I read. Contrary to what my name might lead you to think, I'm not an unmitigated fan of his philosophy, but I like his style. And I'm certainly not saying that you don't know what you're talking about; I enjoyed the OP and (most of) the thread. I'm just saying that your presentation style in the last couple of pages doesn't demonstrate it.

Please keep a more moderate tone in Philosophy.

The biology of purpose keeps my nose above the surface.
- Brian Eno
Only_Humean
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:46 pm

MechanicalMonster wrote:Actually no, my presumption was to act as if anyone here is interested in philosophy.

lol
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
BTL
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Philosophy