What philosophical maxims are worthy of consideration?

I was going through an old notebook over the holiday weekend, and found many Philosophical maxims I believed are worthy of consideration. However I am posting this for 2 reasons. I would like to list ones I think are important (and hear feedback/debate those) - additionally, I would like to know which maxims you believe are worthy of consideration, and to discuss those as well.

The wise ask the why’s (unknown)

Propaganda is to democracy, what violence is to dictatorship (Noam Chomsky)

Do you know what they call a leader with no followers? Just a guy takin’ a walk (The West Wing)

Your intelligence allows you to evaluate people critically; and when you evaluate people critically, you bring danger upon yourself. (Lao Tzu)

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity (Unknown)

Unfortunately, most people cause heat, instead of spreading light. (Unknown)

One test is worth 1000 expert opinions (Bill Nye - The Science guy)

Doesn’t everything look suspicious, when viewed with suspicion? (Unknown)

The Best way to keep growing when life hands you a pile of shit, is to treat it as fertilizer. (Me)

Our ignorance is not so vast, as our failure to use what we know. (M. King Hubbertt - Shell Gas Scientist)

Just cuz you don’t like em, don’t mean you ain’t like em. (Samuel L Jackson’s Character, Black - in Sunset Limited)

Don’t be the guy sitting in front of the fireplace, saying "First you give me some heat, then I’ll give you some wood. (Carlos Xuma - Dating coach)

A mind is like a bottle, in that it must be open before it can be filled. Because the faucet often spews forth garbage, its important to use your brain as a filter, to keep out all the contaminants. (Me)

Silence can be misinterpreted, but it can never be misquoted. (Rep. Caffey, Brotherhood, on Showtime)

If you are not the lead sled dog, the scenery never changes (Unknown)

That’s OK if you call me deviant, because I call you absurd, and I do not mind deviating from the absurd. (Me)

Every person has a valid perspective, according to their perspective. (David DeAngelo - Dating Coach)

The most important organ in your body is your brain, according to your brain. (Unknown)

If you are not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original. (Sir Ken Robinson)

Even people who want to go to heaven, don’t want to die to get there (Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement speech)

–These 3 have to be taken together–
The unexamined life is is not worth living - (Socrates)
Everybody dies, not everybody lives - (Dr. John Healey - president of int’l society for Limb Salvage)
The Unlived life is not worth examining. (John Keats)

The question is not whether you’ll meet adversity, but how you’ll meet adversity (Unknown)

Don’t put limitations on yourself; other people will do that for you. (James Cameron)

Sometimes you win, Sometimes you learn. (Robert Kyosaki - Rich Dad Poor Dad)

A piggy bank with 1 coin makes a lore more noise, than the piggy bank that is full. (Unknown)

Walk with those who seek the truth, run from those who think they found it. (Deepak Chopra)

The best results in life are often held back by false constructs and untested assumptions. (Tim Ferris, TED 2008 talk)

Religion is corrosive to science. It teaches people to be satisfied with trivial supernatural non-explanations; and blinds them to the wonderful and real explanations we have within our grasp. (Richard Dawkins, TED 2002)

In the game of “Let’s respect each other’s beliefs”, playing the faith card is a disqualifying move (Sam Harris)

Don’t be the philosopher sitting at home, eating cheetos, jerkin’ off, and wondering why your dick is orange. (Ross Jeffries, Dating Coach)

There are great ideas developed in the history of man, and these ideas will not persist, unless they are passed purposely and clearly from generation to generation. (Richard Feynman)

Not all inequalities are created equal. (Jonah Lehrer)

One ounce of history is worth a pound of logic (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

My philosophy say not that you should think like me, but rather, that you should think for yourself. (Me, paraphrasing Nietzsche)

That’s all I got for now - Would love to hear yours, and hear your thoughts on mine!

The Doorman

A few that stood out to me were…

I connect this with your maxim of your mind being a filter. We have the control as to how to interpret reality.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Krishnamurti

The hungry don’t rest.

This can be compared to the maxim you quoted: Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Either you’ll succeed or learn - What’s to lose?

I’d rather say creative or experimental instead of wrong, but the point remains.

A completed puzzle on one scale, is but a puzzle piece on another.

We don’t need every piece to recognize the lesson and move on.

“Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week.”

George Bernard Shaw.

I use that quote from someone who had a lot of clever quotes, to say only that, without context any quote is worth as much as a nickleback, ie it confounds the mind for a while, but reality does not rely on a simple “drug” any more than a sound bite relies on being clever when it no longer is.

Few people think hard about anything, let alone George Bernard Shaw, it’s why the world is often summed up by silly easy fit quotes.

Philosophy and psychology are like oil and water. When we try to mix them, each has a way of slipping from our grasp. Yet, still, it can be fun to try.

:sunglasses:

Science and religion are like oil and water, it’s hard to mix the two together without an emulsifier and that is philosophy. I made that up years ago and your quote reminded me of it. :slight_smile:

Great minds think alike. :slight_smile:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. ( I guess thats a philosophical maxim…)

my personal favorite in my own words:

We can only ever be quite certain that we can never be completely certain.

Before Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, you were quite possibly correct. With the advances that real-time brain imaging has allowed us, I can say this is not the case any more.

STEALING THIS! (Well, putting it in my list of Maxims.)

I was quoting… And You don’t fuck with quotes from Sir Ken Robinson. :slight_smile:

Ohh - I like this as well. Going in my notebook.

Thank you for a look into your mind. It is much appreciated.

The Doorman.