What is missing in philosophy

There is a lot of confusion today about what philosophy is. Generally there are two branches in philosophy: utilitarianism which shapes the contemporary name of ‘philosophy’, and the humanistic philosophy which is today practically forbidden and replaced by metaphysics.

If we were ready to lift up the limitations put upon the first, original philosophy, then we would have to introduce history and ethics sub-forums. If someone needs to ask “what is the use for us of the traditional philosophy?” the goal of the revival of the original philosophy could be put into few words: “for private use or use in small groups”.

Philsophy is at it’s most basic the questioning of existance, what it is, why it is, how it is etc.

The Love of Wisdom, the understanding of life.

I don’t know how you ended up with those two precepts, utilitarianism is branch of ethics in philosophy, and humanism can mean various things, also many modernists seem to be opposed to metaphysics though personally I enjoy contemplating them.

What you find in online philosophy fora has nothing to do with modern western philosophy, as it is mere cozy chat and mental mastubation. Modern western philosophy are based on facts and science, which these “philosophers” are glaringly ignorent of. Most have no clue about cognitive abilites, what time is, group think, etc. Very few who has bits of understanding of various facts and science genres, lacks the mental aptitude to form sensible things.

What he really means is that in “Modern Western Philosophy” unless you kneel down and start sucking Sciences metaphorical shlong many don’t consider you a “real” philosopher.

Also combined with that, maybe that could use some self criticism based on their “Groupthink”.

A “real philospher” usually only knows philosophy, without the science part he is nothing.

Not sure you know what group think really is.

How can one only know philosophy? It’s relevant to everything.

According to you, case and point.

Alright, enlighten me.

How can one only know philosophy? It’s relevant to everything.
According to you, case and point.

Can a philosopher do engineering work without a specific engineering education? No! Can he do a bypass operation? No! Make a rocket? No!
Everything in real life, requires an education, specific knowledge and mere philosophy won’t do him/her any good.

Alright, enlighten me.
When someone is swayed on a subconcious level, and it’s hard to resist. It probaly originates from when we were primitive dinosaurs that didn’t have any elaborate languate, but could only growl.
May philosophers would argue that one has free will and easily could resist anything that was against the nature of the person, that is debunked in the Millgram Obidence Experiemnt which was done in relation to the terrible misdeeds in Vietnam, where soliders would act like madmen and erradicate innocent civilians.

As long as science believes in “laws” it will be deprived of wisdom and it will be the stretched hand of religion. “Laws” are first mentioned in holy books and they still have the same meaning as those there: to pronounce eternal truths. A scientist will always watch very carefully to say politically correct things.
In fact, there would be no democracy without Christianity, and the entire science is training people as equals. The term equality is Christian and so is the education. In Europe everybody knows that all that is in it is Christian, no matter if science or atheism. If god dies, religion still continues…

How much modern people, especially students, resemble to Christians:

Ignoramus.

Not seeing much discussion here. No name-calling, please.

:-k Philosophy is like ones opinion everyone has one. If there must be law then there has to be philosophy and ones opinion be it good bad or indifferent. Without (1x1) there wouldn’t be (2). Without philosophy there wouldn’t be questions. Philosophy is a long journey with a short path for truth and wisdom. pljames

I came into philosophy expecting to explore imaginative, alchemical and poetic ideas about reality and mind, however that’s not so much what I found [though some of it is]. Really we need a different class for that and druidry etc ~ the study of mind, what it can do, how it can affect base level reality, personas, deity etc, and not the class; religion/spirituality.

If I may be so bold, what I was looking for was what I have become. :confused: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

There is a specialized branch of philosophy called “Philosophy of mind”.
Maybe you should look into it and not so much at general philosophy.

Although I must say, searching for poetic ideas is not philosophy at all. Philosophy is the search for the truth, not the search for what sounds nice.

Are you calling us name callers??? That’s rude! MODERATOR!! :smiley:

volchok

Agreed.

Its also about conundrums and paradoxes, equally most philosophers would say there is no truth, so the search and love of that relativistic wisdom is also what philosophy is about ~ which for me is kinda poetic. Consider Greek epic poetry and all its abstract meaning.

Again even here you are right, philosophy mostly deals with finding ‘truths’ about things, using logic and reasoning.

Doesn’t that mean there is something missing ~ a field aside from philosophy and science?

I completely disagree. Relativism is philosophy gone wrong.

Well, that’s your viewpoint… :stuck_out_tongue:

We need to axe the old outdated concepts of philosophy, and introduce critical thinking, modern factual knowledge and science. Most are but cozy chat these days, mistaken for philosophy.

If you look around various philosophy sites, they are the same, total irrelevant, without meaning only generating mental mastubation and navel gazing, that’s why philosophers are not really in demand at the job market.

Interesting and important too.

Let us first difine philosophy in the first place, before anything else.

Carry on friends.

with love,
sanjay