The Ontological Tyranny

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: The Ontological Tyranny

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:40 pm

d63 wrote:It just seems to me that the pragmatic truth test should be looked at as a tool, much like that of correspondence and coherence (despite their gaps) -that is as compared to rules. I think they all 3 have their pittfalls. Nevertheless, I think they all 3 can be useful as long as we don't entertain the bad faith of thinking we'll find some kind of intellectual construct that will make everything work like some well oiled machine.

Ironically, that is exactly what this thread has produced.

But you're right about communication. Language, and everything rooted in it, is an agreement. If we all made our own rules about what that agreement was, we would be screwed. I seriously doubt civilization would have survived as long as it has if such were the case.

And herein is the common agreement; we are at struggle, but all for the same thing. We do bot struggle against each other or to overcome each other but this often is a consequence of our need to fulfill our being, which takes much other being into it.

Life is mortal because it consumes.
Capitalism is a consequence of life --- life turned to feed on itself in another convolution of natures consuming rift --the star of humanity collapses into capitalism, and a barren neutron star remains. That is the ultimate fate of unbridled capitalism.

But it is a matter of stepping back. Our collapsing star of Earth is simply the collapse of the hydrogen cloud in the mind of man, which will soon burn in fusion with its brothers. The internet has made us even more of a single organism than the word already had one. Ironically, our warring for independence asserted so much our commonalities (will to independence) that we formed a giant bubble of 'interdependent independence', which is a contradiction in terms and yet also the grand ideal of most humans on Earth. All want to be free -- free to do what?
What if freedom would entail --

No, total freedom is out of the question. Paganism is personal, and the demand for freedom produces unfreedom. It's as simple as that, the bureaucracy is the testament to the evil of trying to prevent evil.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides

Thunderbolt steers all things.
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I posted an excerpt of this thread on jokers forum.

http://sicksadworld.forumotion.com/t146 ... al-tyranny
- Thucydides

Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:00 am

Jakob wrote:
WW_III_ANGRY wrote:Science provides the best way to understand the world and are the best explanation as to how the physical world works. Being the best explanation doesn't mean it is the only possible thing it could be however if there is another method you're free to subscribe to it (there is by the way, its called belief and there are various religions based on beliefs you can buy into).

And by what standards is it the "best"? - Bias.

What is science?

Science is the concerted human effort to understand, or to understand better, the history of the natural world and how the natural world works, with observable physical evidence as the basis of that understanding1. It is done through observation of natural phenomena, and/or through experimentation that tries to simulate natural processes under controlled conditions.

Exactly. Which means that science does not try to understand how the natural word works, but how something else does.

It is clear to a clear mind (of which there are so few) that when one observes a simulation, one does not gain insight into anything real.

One great bias on which science moves is this: "by isolating a thing from its context, we can understand it as it really is."
This leads to a bizarre, fragmentary and incoherent understanding of nature, and the application of this understanding leads to little else than the degeneration of nature.

I am a bit more strong in my opinions than without-music: not only do I think that the bias needs to be understood and admitted, but I am certain that once scientists do understand their prejudices, that they in fact are prejudices, they will abandon them.
I do not question the intentions of scientists to know the real world - so I think a more objective, a less biased science will always follow the realization that a method has been based on bias.

Again, one of the great scientific biases is: "isolation from context = enabling knowledge"

And we dont even have to judge the tree by its fruits to see where this leads.

(There are, of course, more definitions of science.)
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/1122sc ... TISSCIENCE

sci·ence/ˈsīəns/Noun
1. The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Again what is studies is precisely not the natural world. The natural world is doing the studying, with its all-too-natural purposes: to command & conquer.

And this is natural - without-music reasonably suggests that we should embrace this motivation. But I ask a bit ahead: what is it that we conquer?
Can we not be conquering something else - something better? Something more real? The same logic with which I have shown scientific understanding to be at root a systematic error, says that we can, and proposes a starting point. But only if we leave the aforementioned bias at the door, and set higher standards. This is far more difficult than the practice of science itself, as it takes will and character. Two things of which the practice of science-as-truth has thoroughly stripped our race.

These things never expire.
- Thucydides

Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Philosophy