A Syllogism in Context

Women are generally disadvantaged relative to men.
College enrollment is currently 57% women, 43% men.
Therefore, it is currently a disadvantage to enroll in college.

It’s not a logical argument, meant to convince others. It’s a provisional claim, meant to invite others to participate in an intelligent investigation of facts and values.

Who knows what might be discovered?

Females are definitely better students but that’s just because they’re better at being told what’s what.

Mysogyny FTW!!!1

Women do appear to be better students.

Strange argument. If this was going the other way, if men were doing better than women, no doubt the argument would be that women are too stupid for college. That’s not true, so it must be something else negative about women that makes them more suited to education than men, hm? Give me a fucking break, you’re pathetic.

Great point.

Well of course it’s a great point. Before women were allowed to pursue higher education it was believed they weren’t smart enough for it, or strong enough, or we were just uninterested because our place was in the kitchen, whatever excuse you men could come up with. Well, that’s been proven wrong, so now it’s something else. You’re like irresponsible children, making excuses for yourselves everytime you fail. It’s disgusting, seriously.

You daft mare, I was taking the piss.

Who’s “you”?

Well, trevor, you’ll have to pardon me for not picking up on that. You see, I wasn’t inside your head when you posted it. My bad.

I mean “you” in the general sense of the word, really. Just “Men”. Or “Men who hate women.” Not you specifically, anon.

Men who hate women makes some sense. I’d say “just ‘men’” doesn’t.

I didn’t think you meant me, but who knows. Using what appears to be bad logic, involving male-female comparisons, in an OP, can be dangerous.

Interestingly, I first heard about this 57% thing in an article about how women are being discriminated against in college sports. 57% women in college should translate into 57% women in college sports under Title IX - if I have that right. But numbers are being artificially inflated I guess.

Here’s that article.

I don’t think it’s really a matter of discrimination. There are women’s sports available. Honestly, women’s sports just aren’t as interesting as men’s, though, at least not to watch (playing is a different story). Men, being generally larger and more muscular than women, are obviously more athletic (in most cases, of course there are exceptions), which makes for more interesting sport, and more of an opportunity to continue on with that sport into a professional setting. Women’s sports end, for the most part, at the college level, so I think there is less incentive for women to continue with games and practices when they’re in college and have homework to be getting on with. I have nothing to back this up, it’s just a theory.

Maybe women are better students because they concentrate more on their classes.

You’ll read what you will. Besides that, [size=150][joke][/size] women have no sense of humour so it was to be expected really. [size=150][/joke][/size] Clear 'nuff?

Any opinions on my use of logic in the OP, by the way? My claim is that I used logic well.

I’ll read what you wrote. That’s what I did. I’m not incapable of laughing at a joke, but it didn’t come across that way. You can stop patronizing me.

You used flawed logic well, anon :wink:

Thanks, Blurred. :laughing:

I think the conclusion I reached in my syllogism is possibly true, by the way.