TIMESCALE, convenient or inconvenient?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

TIMESCALE, convenient or inconvenient?

Postby Dr Projectile » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:20 am

Personally i find time (in its "practical" sense or "everyday" sense) to be a complete pain in the arse. Restrictive yet practical. What would everyday life be like without timescale? Dawn and Dusk would be like the two pivotal times as apposed to what it is now; arguably noon and midnight. Or is that bullshit. Perhaps time is a convenient subject for blame on my part, for my sporadic depression. However i cant help wondering what the world would be without it. After the initial problems of everyone being late etc. mundane shit. Would we go to work when we felt like it? Heres an example- I am due at work in 45 minutes and it takes me 20 to walk there to my humble pizza hut job. If there was no timescale i would just be totally relaxed. But im not. Infact my whole day has been ruined in anticipation of working tonight. Pathetic innit?!?! Even watching the very entertaining film "formula 51" did not help much.
Cleverness is no substitute for true character.
-Unknown
Dr Projectile

Re: TIMESCALE, convenient or inconvenient?

Postby hermes the thrice great » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:51 am

Dr Projectile wrote:Personally i find time (in its "practical" sense or "everyday" sense) to be a complete pain in the arse. Restrictive yet practical. What would everyday life be like without timescale? Dawn and Dusk would be like the two pivotal times as apposed to what it is now; arguably noon and midnight. Or is that bullshit. Perhaps time is a convenient subject for blame on my part, for my sporadic depression. However i cant help wondering what the world would be without it. After the initial problems of everyone being late etc. mundane shit. Would we go to work when we felt like it? Heres an example- I am due at work in 45 minutes and it takes me 20 to walk there to my humble pizza hut job. If there was no timescale i would just be totally relaxed. But im not. Infact my whole day has been ruined in anticipation of working tonight. Pathetic innit?!?! Even watching the very entertaining film "formula 51" did not help much.

I find when I live on event time, that is my schedule is determined by tasks and accomplishments and not the arbitrary clock, I get a whole helluva lot more done in the same time period. TIme worry wastes time.
hermes the thrice great
The Snoop Dogg of Wisdom

Postby illativemindindeed » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:17 pm

If there was no time, how you know when to go to work? I mean sure if your boss says you come in at dawn or whatever, but is that the only way we can distinguish between another time throughout the day? There has to be some type of system otherwise, we wouldnt be able to go to work on time, because we wouldnt know when that time is. I dont know if im conveying myself the way i wish to but it is difficult to even think about there not being any system of time. We would be unorganized as a world.
"The dice of God are always loaded. The world looks like a multiplication table, or a mathematical equation, which, turn it how you will, balances itself... Inevitably the universe wears our color, and every object falls successively into the subject itself... As I am, so I see; use what language we will, we can never say anything but what we are..."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In time, death is inevitable; in now, life is."- Floyd

"I see better with my glasses on, but I see best when there is nothing to look for."-Floyd

"All opposites co-exist dependently at oppositional degrees; therefore, they are the opposite of opposite."- Floyd

"An intermittent stream of naturally intuited, cataclysmic, and manipulative stories actualized within the coupling of sentient energy masquerading as developing degradations of itself. Both an ignorant and enlightened amalgam of generative reminiscence."- Floyd

I'm Floyd BTW :)
illativemindindeed
Thinker

Postby Inducement » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:50 pm

Obviously we need time, as posted in another thread "change requires time". So without time, nothing could change.
Inducement

Postby Dr Projectile » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:12 pm

Dont be silly inducement- im talking about timescale not the essence of time lol.
-Unknown
Dr Projectile

Postby Impenitent » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:33 pm

timescale?

does one second weigh more than two seconds?

there is now... the past is gone and the future never comes...

time is a human construction of the mind, nothing more...

is one imaginary entity greater than another?
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend

Postby Rami » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:25 pm

We all understand 'time scale'. 24hour day because it takes 24hrs for the earth to rotate on it's axis, 365 days ina year because that's how long it takes for the earth to orbit the sun and so on and so fourth. But obviously, these are only distance's travelled by the earth etc, we've just made calucations to measure how long it takes for the Earth to travel those distance.

But how long does this 'Now' appear for before it goes into the past?
Rami
Thinker

Postby Inducement » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:25 pm

Silly me. As far as time scale goes, would be nice if the sun was out longer. Perhaps I'll move to Mars.

hermes said: <b>"I find when I live on event time, that is my schedule is determined by tasks and accomplishments and not the arbitrary clock, I get a whole helluva lot more done in the same time period. TIme worry wastes time."</b>

Completely agree.
Inducement

Postby Dr Projectile » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:34 pm

Well, thinking about this now, some time later.....

I think if the measurement of time was removed....syncronisity would resume after a floundering period....we would find other methods...this subject still interests me....the scale of time is flawed in many many ways though...heres some examples.....

1. "Time flys when your having fun"

2. the dateline and time zone

The light from the stars we watch is arriving (often) millions of years after it was first shone. Time can be strethched and compressed. If there was a different system of measurement or if we only went by our biological bodyclocks there would be advantages prehaps
-Unknown
Dr Projectile

Postby Mucius Scevola » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:54 pm

Impenitent wrote:timescale?

does one second weigh more than two seconds?

time is a human construction of the mind, nothing more...

is one imaginary entity greater than another?

The empirical value of time is given by sequential change, which is the first indicator of temporality. Time is objectively valid in relation to anything we experience or could ever experience through our senses, albeit it is not an absolute reality belonging to things as they are.

Being an internal representation, time is undeterminative of any external phenomena, like geometrical figures or positions in space. And specifically due to this abstraction, we tend to represent time through analogies (e.g. a linear function, a straight line protracting towards the infinite).
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
Mucius Scevola
philosopher

Re:

Postby Fixed Cross » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:30 am

Impenitent wrote:is one imaginary entity greater than another?

Yes.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image -
Before the Light - Den 8 - The Tree of Life
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby promethean75 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:46 am

Define 'greater', and dont try no shady shit like that anselm guy from Canterbury.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:44 am

Entities like many things exist on a spectrum and this particular one is simply that of every single entity ever imagined
And so then what determines the greatness of one imaginary entity over another is the degree of imagination involved
Also the degree of logic as the more logical it is then the greater the possibility of it existing is - even if only in theory
Although one could define theirs as the greatest possible of all imaginary entities without actually going into specifics
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Return to Philosophy