Is having a life and making a living the same?

How can one make a living and not have a life??..

MA

I suppose everyone has a life in the very general sense in which one is ‘alive’. if one means a more specific, spiritual definition of life then the problem becomes more problematic. Living and making a living (to the extent that making a living is a subset of living) seem like active and passive modes of the selfsame thing. Someone said, “Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.” That is the passive, background, physical, part of living. ‘making a living’, however, implies conscious effort towards a goal of one’s choosing, whether one has defaulted on that choice or not.

Do you mean this in a working sense? if im a slave to work, i dont have much of a life. Having a office job or a job that becomes way to repeatative to point
of been depressed and in a low way. Is this what you mean by “How can one make a living and not have a life??” to make a living and not have a life is to be repeating the same mundane activity day-in-day-out; people that dont work and dont make a living do this. We all have a life, its just how you would define Life and what that would entail: happiness and self satifaction; if by making a living you not achieving these, then maybe thats when you feel like your missing out on life.

— Aristotle’s Nicomachean ethics talks about this, i think jedi-pockey or somebody is reading this right now. He (Aristotle) talks about Eudaimonia which basically means happiness, prosperity. I think this is what a lot of people aim for. There is also self-actualization. Work is one of the ways in which we build a self.