ethics and epistemology

is ethics more valuable than epistemology? or is epistemology more valuable than ethics?

Hi valkyboy,

Firstly let me welcome you to the board, good to see you are getting involved. Just a friendly reminder that on ILP we encourage new topics to include not only a question but the feelings and thoughts of the person who is posting. It not only helps us to understand where you are coming from but it sets the scene for the discussion which could go anywhere with just a question.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time here

• ben

Is ethics more valuable than epistemology? Or is epistemology more valuable than ethics?

Why should we place one above the other in terms of importance? Furthermore, what would compell our judgement?

I wonder if Epistemology would be highly useful for a discussion of Ethics by discussing whether ethical knowledge is possible (ff. A.J. Ayer, Language, Truth & Logic). Furthermore, Ethics could enhance Epistemology by laying the groundwork for the impetus of justification (ff. W.K. Clifford’s Ethics of Belief) where one may contend that it is immoral to believe a proposition on insufficient evidence.

It seems to me that Epistemology would be logically prior to Ethics, but I don’t see why this priority should subjugate Ethics.