atom life?

has anyone everthought about the universal concept of life and the space that we are living in.i 've thought that we can be living on another planet,and that
other intellegant life is all around us.people as scientist have looked insides of atoms ,but they cannot look inside of a proton or a nuetron,what if there is life inside of them.as people thought a long time ago that what you see is all that is really there scientificaly.or that the world was flat,but it wasnt.i was wondering that we can be a small part of another planet or another dimension that we can comprehend.just somthing i have been pondering about give me some info if you can.

Yes , naturally people have thought what you have. Fact, an agreed truth, Earth is a small planet in a universe thats streches farter than the imagination. We are a miniscule solar system in an unlimited universe. Or so we are told by scientist/astronomers.

We cant be alone, someday will find life outside of earth. Its just a matter of time. I wish i was around to see it.

:astonished:

I think Sublime has a good idea, one which you don’t hear from many people.

Youngman stated:

Actually it is now believed to be known in approximation how big the universe is. So it no longer stretches farther than the imagination. Moreover, having approximated the size of the universe and the rate at which it is hypothesised to be growing it is also now believed that the universe is not unlimited, but that it has a finite size and will one day collapse in on itself only to expand again. This is what ‘I’ was told by scientists and astronomers.

The possibilities of us being alone are actually quite implausible by most scientific estimations done so far. Planet earth lies in a perfect position to allow life, it also had to have just the right chemicals to start life, it also has to have the right type of sun energy, it’s axis and rotation also happen to allow life on earth. This list goes on and on. The ideal conditions for life are huge and almost impossible to imagine. Hence, people still don’t completely understand how it is life started on this planet.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am not saying this is what I believe, I like you believe that there are other life forms out there in the universe. But, your writing style gives the assumption that you are speaking fact, and so I rectified your statements with what scientists actually believe. A good strategy to use in sharing your opinion is to actually state you are giving your opinion and people are more likely to respond with theirs. Since this is the philosophy forum, not the science forum.

What’s your take?

Magius, in the interest of scientific accuracy, could you replace the word “life” with the words “life like us” in your post?

How does my

When i clearly said

Id like to think ive been updated on our galaxy. Considering I just got out of an Astronomy class, and thats what i was told. Hmmm

I dont think anybody knows how big the galaxy is. How could we? Our guess is as only as good as our technology

Do we have satellites that strech light years away? No

Since you ASSUMED i was speaking fact…I assumed that since this board was ran by people, over the internet, it was naturally going to be people sharing their opinions… I thought that was a given. Guess not. I didnt know people whould take my word as the truth…
I sure dont believe everything I hear.

I was just putting my two sense in…thats all

Whats your take? :wink:

In response to HVD,
I can replace it, anyone who reads this post and my previous one to this, please replace ‘life’ with ‘life like us’. But it should also be noted, that there is only circumstantial evidence that suggests any kind of life anywhere else in the universe as far as we know. So that my original statement is correct as far as we know, but may be disproven if life is found outside of our planet.

Nevertheless, I think HVD is right, and I am politically correct in saying ‘life like us’ instead of just ‘life’.

What’s your take?

Youngman18 stated:
"Yes , naturally people have thought what you have. Fact, an agreed truth, Earth is a small planet in a universe thats streches farter than the imagination. We are a miniscule solar system in an unlimited universe. Or so we are told by scientist/astronomers.

We cant be alone, someday will find life outside of earth. Its just a matter of time. I wish i was around to see it."

Yet then followed up with…

“Since you ASSUMED i was speaking fact…I assumed that since this board was ran by people, over the internet, it was naturally going to be people sharing their opinions… I thought that was a given. Guess not. I didnt know people whould take my word as the truth…”

You DID say ‘Fact, an agreed truth, Earth is a small planet in a universe…’ so please, save me the time of having to retype your damn posts and know what it is you are writing, instead of saying everything in an offhand manner, that when you are confronted about it, you contradict yourself and deny things you clearly stated.

Youngman18 stated:
“I sure dont believe everything I hear.”

Yet previously stated…
"Id like to think ive been updated on our galaxy. Considering I just got out of an Astronomy class, and thats what i was told. Hmmm "

Obviously you do believe everything you are told. I’m not trying to say your teacher wasn’t right. I am doubting your ability to restate what your teacher told you. Since a teacher wouldn’t tell you that the universe is spans farther than the imagination, since there are some theories as to how big the universe spans. Moreover, I am doubting that a teacher would tell you that the universe is unlimited. You are also committing the fallacy from authority. Which is when a person claims they are right because some authority figure said so, study the topic yourself and then get back to me.

Are you aware of the Cosmic Microwave Background theory which advocates the Big Bang theory and because of it we now understand the beginning of the universe from about a hundredth of a second till now, including the present size as well as it’s increasing ratio?
How about the crossover point between the time the universe was radiation-dominated to the matter-dominated universe it transformed into? Maybe some of the radiation eras, Planck being the first, GUT, Hadron, Lepton, and Nuclear being the final era of radiation. Atomic, Galactic, and Stellar being the three eras Matter has gone through?

To answer your question, which was not really put as a question but more in a insulting way, the estimated size of the universe right now is 10 to the power 28, Mega parsecs (diameter)

Some of the best thought up equations, Ie. The Drake Equation (the most encompassing theory to the possibility of life somewhere else in the universe), still have ambiguity surrounding them and find a lack of followers in the scientific circles. But even the Drake Equation finds that the possibility of other life in the universe is 1 to the 10 to the power of 18. But even Mr. Drake admits that the possibilities are greatest to the opinion that there is no other life in the universe.

If you have any doubts about the things I have stated here, you can check out the following books:

Astronomy Today, by: Chaisson and McMillan. Third Edition. 1999. Prentice Hall. New Jersey, USA.

and

The Friendly Guide To The Universe, by Nancy Hathaway. 1994. Penguin Books. London, England.

What’s your take?

You are a fallacy of authority.

Youngman18 stated:
“I sure dont believe everything I hear.”

Yet previously stated…
"Id like to think ive been updated on our galaxy. Considering I just got out of an Astronomy class, and thats what i was told. Hmmm "

So chief,should i belive everything I hear? Do you belive everything you hear?

I dont think what i said was contridicting…again i think you are putting words in someone elses mouth. you are reading between the lines way to much

Ill leave it at that

Well with that said. Could in physics and atonomy(i made this up for study of atoms, im sure its something else but screw it) we find a thing that has simular features, such as fininte shape that expands and colapses?

Well, if you’re talking about finding universes within atoms, then no, I doubt it. The force that would cause our universe to collapse at some point in the near future is gravity, but you have to understand just what a weak force it is. It requires an awful lot of matter to cause attraction in a vacuum like space, and obviously there isn’t nearly enough gravity within an atom to produce a like universe on such a small scale. Of course, they may be some sort of universe that incorporates the strong and weak nuclear forces (that hold the atom together) but I’d suggest that sub-atomic complexity in this sense goes against everything we currently understand about atomic structure. Could be wrong though, so if anyone here is in the atom biz, feel free to make me look like a fool. :wink:

However, this topic does raise some interesting questions… how far can matter be broken down to for instance? All matter can be broken down into atoms, all atoms can be broken down into protons, neutrons and electrons, and all protons and neutrons can be broken down into quarks… can these be broken down still further? Must there be a limit to how far elements can be divided? Of course, when we get down to this stage, we’re no longer talking about matter but different types of “energy” in a sense, but thinking about it is still likely to boggle your mind…

Any ideas then?

JP stated:

I don’t know that I can say I am in the atom biz, but I would say I know my share about atoms, and JP you are quite correct about atoms. The idea that another universe could lie in a single atom is a thought I had myself a long time ago, but the conceptualization of this problem or finding any proof supporting this theory is close to futile - so has been my experience. It would be an interesting idea, since we know very little about quarks, which for now are known to be the smallest particles we know of, next to nutrino’s. But how much do we know about long studied protons, electrons, neutrons? Do we know everything? Atomic physics has always intrigued me and I am currently debating whether or not to seriously delve into physics in my university.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to attempt to answer some of JP’s questions.

JP stated:
“how far can matter be broken down to for instance?”

Well there would be the common answer of atoms, but when we apply atoms to the great scheme of things, they just don’t cut it. Actually, nothing cuts it, for some reason there is alot of matter that we do not know about within the universe. Most astronomers and physicists theories there is a thing called dark matter which is invisible but consists of a majority of the matter in the universe. This matter could bring us much closer to understanding atoms with our own home planet earth. Maybe ‘dark matter’ is the last breaking down point and will explain the creation and existence of the universe and everything in it.

“Must there be a limit to how far elements can be divided?”

Intriguing question, I am trying to take myself away from all that I have learned, but I have trouble pondering the existence of matter that does not have a limit to how far it can be divided. My mind’s closed on this one I guess. I can’t even answer what the significance would be if there wasn’t a limit on the division of elements. What would that mean?

My mind has been thoroughly boggled :wink:

What’s your take?

Youngman18,

• To answer your question about what to believe, I would answer that you should take some time to critically analyse the information which you are given, no matter what authority figure they may be, and draw your own conclusions. It is also important to stay away from dogmatic beliefs, just because you have been taught something doesn’t mean you should go about believing it is an absolute truth. Staying open to interpretation and new views is always important. Like I said in many of my posts before, too many people thrive in the feeling of grabbing onto information that they can go and run with knowing that nothing can sway what they know, this is unfortunately not so.

• You say you are not contradicting yourself, so explain how not, since I took time to explain how you did, and remember I used your own words, I didn’t read behind any lines. You made generalities about astronomy and when questioned you backed it up with getting out of an astronomy class. Is this how you imagine conversations to be? Where can a debate lead with a style like yours? It is obvious you are here to tell people things, you are not here to be told anything. Otherwise you would lose those words that make people sound dumb when you are questioned. Ie. When I corrected your statements you said “I think I am updated on astronomy since I just got out of an astronomy class”.

What’s your take?

The possibilities of us being alone are actually quite implausible by most scientific estimations done so far. Planet earth lies in a perfect position to allow life, it also had to have just the right chemicals to start life, it also has to have the right type of sun energy, it’s axis and rotation also happen to allow life on earth. This list goes on and on. The ideal conditions for life are huge and almost impossible to imagine. Hence, people still don’t completely understand how it is life started on this planet.

Isn’t it impossible for life to form out of nothing? I thought there was a law or something stating that it is impossible for life to spontaneously form. Also I heard that the theory was that the universe was expanding at the speed of light. According to einstein nothing can go faster of the speed of light which is being disproven but… It’s a possible explanation. I also read somewhere that the chances of life forming from whatever such soup is the same as a twister going through a shed and building a plane.

Commenting on the idea that we are part of something bigger… I always thought it would be kind of funny if it turned out that we were just part of another spherical life form of some bigger creature. It would explain the expansion of the universe in that we are just orbiting something. But then again I really don’t know anything about this subject…

I forgot to ask something… I read that atoms have no dimesion. So how can you build a world of 3 dimensions off of something of no dimensions?

CBA stated:

Life didn’t form out of nothing. Most people make the same mistake understanding Einstein, he never said nothing can go faster than the speed of light, he said nothing can accelerate faster than the speed of light.

What’s your take?