how many vegan's or vegetarians are here, and why do it?

ok, so i’m thinking on improving my diet and even though i don’t think i’ll get rid of meat products entirely i definately want to increase my consumption of green food stuffs…

…my will to nothingness-or rather playstation- prevents me from being motivated enough to research what i actually need to eat to be healthy, lose that transluscent anorexia glow, hehe, and figure out what beans, veg and stuff fills my needs…

…i think that’s enough for now.

i think that it is a sadly under-researched topic the way food affects state of mind. coz it really does. not just long term health but short term mood is so dependent on what we eat.

Couldn’t agree more. I feel a definite improvement in my mood during periods when I actually eat a fair amount of veg etc, and most people I know who have REALLY unhealthy diets are bloody miserable all the time … there’s definitely something in it.

Couldn’t do vegetarian, though

Why is it considered socially acceptable for people to eat only vegetables?
If people chose to only eat meat, you would think they were mad.

Haha, I like that one. Very post-nihilistic. :smiley:

and for my next trick…catch me performing at a forum near you…

the nihilistic bit is that i don’t own a playstation anymore… :frowning:

hehe

“short term mood is so dependent on what we eat.”
Everyone knows that, that’s why it’s called a Happy Meal
-From the mouth of ABW

I’ve never thought people who eat only meat are any madder than vegetarians. Now vegans… they’re pretty mad :wink:.

I’m a nearly-vegertarian by taste, I don’t like lamb, pork or (most) beef. Big on poultry and fish though. I couldn’t do the full vegertarian thing because I don’t like enough vegitables :wink:.

i am really considering going vegetarian to an extent because of moral reasons and i really am going to miss eating all those lovely tasteless meals at burger king. il still it fish and some types of bird though because i they lack personhood in my (and other people’s) eyes. oh wo is me i want to eat beef but cant let myself anymore! il join in on the main thread of i dont know what vegetables to eat especially as im allergic to potato!

So you’re a vegetarian, except chicken and fish. Hey, snap, I’m a non-smoker, except cigarrettes.

oh ho. wit. (sorry i just dont like snide remarks) i wont eat animals i consider to have personhood, i know that doesnt count as vegetarianism but it was the closest word i could think of to describe my viewpoint in the matter. Just read peter singer (any of his works deal with the matter im talking about) some think hes a complete immoral bastard others, like me, consider him to be the worlds leading bio-ethicist. i wont follow him all the way though in that he thinks all animals have personhood. i think thats just him sitting on a moral pedestal and trying to compensate for his comments on infanticide. fish arent people (not aware of themsleves exisiting over time, not self aware) and the same goes for some forms of bird as well

some people are vegetaran just because they don’t like meat…my sister couldn’t give a toss about animals, she just doesn’t like the taste of meat and the fact that theres all that other stuff you get with meat like fatty bits etc. I eat animals because thy’re quite tasty and you see other animals eating eachother so I don’t see it as being anything weird. mm just realised this post has added nothing of any substance to this forum…oh well just move on and ignore what i’ve written.

Hmmm. Just one question, how do you, peter singer, or anyone know whether or not fish (or anything) are self aware? Or does he have an insight we don’t?

What about that one where you don’t eat root vegetables? I know that’s very vague and I sound horrifically moronic, but it’s called fruitism or something, and they reckon that pulling up a vegetable is cruel. Where do you draw the line?

I think you’re referring to fruitarianism (mentioned in Notting Hill) and yes, they don’t eat root vegetables among other things.

"A Fruitarian eats lots of fruit, with some nuts and grains or the products thereof. No animals, birds, fishes, insects or humans. No cabbages, lettuce leaves or bean sprouts, no celery or root vegetables. But tomatoes and avocadoes because they’re fruits. And of course mangoes and papayas, oranges and lemons, bananas… all the wonderful fruits which the trees and bushes offer us freely so that we can distribute their seeds. "

How exactly is a vegetable any different from a piece of fruit? Sounds like a bunch of kerazzy people to me.

No more Kerrazy than believing that bread changes into human flesh; believing that some animals are clean, and some aren’t; believing in hundreds of gods, believing that aliens have come to assure the salvation of our species, believing that wrapping a piece of cloth round your head is holy, or believing that everything is made up of teeny tiny little particles.

fruit has seeds

There clearly is no line!
As to beliefs- they are individual choice, but how do you define ‘normal’ and how do you define ‘kerrazy’?

ooooo well im a bit different… im a vegetarian, and i dont care about any of the health or welfare issues that are usually behind converting to vegetarianism.

i have been since the age of 2. obviously this wasn’t my own choice… there was apparently some kind of a food scare going on in australia (where i was living then) at the time so my parents decided to go veggie.

as for now… 20 years later i am still a vegetarian and have no desire whatsoever to eat meat. the reason? cuz i never have. for me the idea of biting into animal muscle tissue is… well, gross. no different to taking a chunk out of my own arm.

i’m a vegetarian…

i do it because of all the torture and pain we put the animals through.
plus, what gives us the right to eat them? if you say “we have a higher intelligence” then i say “a higher intellegence should give us the wisdom to not kill the harmless animals.” if you say “we’re on top of the food chain” then i say “screw the food chain! it was a stupid idea anyway.” if you say “you’re an idiot” then i say “you’re the idiot! go hide in a phone booth you moron!!”

BTW, i am an arrogant, egotistical, atheistic, open-minded, sane, fool.