Waking Life : a question.

i just saw a film called ‘waking life’ which was almost a monument to the activity of philosophy. it ran through many philosophical questions, arguably all, and in the process made me see beyond the blurry line that separates the analytic and continental tradition. questions usually posed and mused over by analytic thinkers somehow started (for me) to personalise their outcomes. maybe i only felt this, because i was thinking round the ideas being spoken, and also because it was irridescent with aesthetic substance, and that this fooled me into seeing the questions posed in a more personal light.
even so, ‘waking life’ initiated some cerebral activity which threw hegel’s triad dialectic, what we percieve as order and disorder and which does what, and also why the (disorderly) music stirred me, yet the animated visuals created an aesthetic environment for such depth of thought, all into question.
it is very much a film not to be judged whilst watching, but more to be immersed in. its beauty, the music, the ideas, how they might bring clarity to you.

has anybody else seen this film, and if so, i’d really like to know what impressions you gained from it.

one impression it had on me, was concerning the event of somebody accusing another of pretence - this being the accusation that some person is trying to make themselves look more important than they actually are. yet the person making the accusation does not understand (currently, or as a matter of condition) the idea being made. : what one person sees as order, another sees as disorder (imagination’, ‘movement’, ‘dream’, ‘progress’). good is themselves, and evil/disorder/or merely indifference is outside of themsleves. this inevitably leads to differing moralities, the ‘genealogy of’. yet if people are aware of their own learning, and aware of the disorder, and imagination needed to advance their view (‘the antithesis stage’), would they cease to be conscious of their own morality?
the ultimate question is : if all were able to see ‘outside’ their own moral maze, and hence were all ‘extelligent’ as opposed to ‘intelligent’, would the end to the ‘genealogy of morals’ see a universal morality, or no morality at all … ? … ? … ? …

Fine. If that’s how you like it. 20 views. and not one post. you c***s.

To be fair, I was only trying to get you all to see this film ‘Waking Life’. If you think, which I assume the people using thIs site do, then this will be one of the most extraordinary films you will ever see. It’s not on in many cinemas, and the reviews have been a wee bit :confused: , but film critics have to judge a film whilst they are watching it, stopping them from just wallowing in what could potentially be an aesthetic paradise.

GO SEE IT. NOW. WAKING LIFE. 'TIS SUPERB.

‘Waking Life’ is quite probably the best film I have ever seen! It is unashamedly all ideas and no plot! It is like being trapped in a dream of question after question. I have never before seen a film where the whole hour and a half is continual bombardment of ideas! The ideas weren’t anything new, but what was so refreshing was watching this swirling cocktail of thoughts, ideas and philosophies, from right across the board, mixing western sinicism with Eastern spirituality. Aesthetically it was stunning, the illustartive style being different in every scene. It captured the feel of dreaming by the lack of beginning, middle and end making it equally hard to grasp any concept of time.

It is only on in London cinemas for about another week, so go and see it now. It was absolutely amazing and made me proud to be studying philosophy!