Determinism

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Determinism

Postby iambiguous » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:51 pm

phyllo wrote:Nothing.
:banana-dance:

Indeed, imagine explaining the laws of matter going all the way back to the Big Bang...culminating in, among other things, this: :banana-dance:

It must be God, right? :lol:
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Iambiguous,

I've told you many times that what's true for all possible beings, transcends subjectivity and is necessarily objective.

1+1=2: true for all possible beings

Nobody wants their consent violated!! True for all possible beings.

Now, I keep encountering these people who think they're real badasses, and that ANYONE WHO HAS THEIR CONSENT VIOLATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE is just a pansy not deserving of life , "grow up!" They say.

To which I reply, "so if your mother is brutally tortured, raped and murdered, while you are strapped to a chair watching it all, your consent wouldn't be violated ??"

To which I say, "it may not be your mother, but to some mother and child, this is happening all around the world every day"

Yes. My consent is violated if anyone has their consent violated !!

People try to sound so badass, like urwrong, who says these are just weak people unfit for survival ...

Urwrong is giving permission to have this done to him, and that's a VERY SICK FUCK!!!

Nobody wants their consent violated, and that includes (except urwrong) more than me, myself and I ...

That's objectively true.

Urwrong demands his mother be raped ...

I hope you're not the same.

What does this have to do with freewill?

We discover proofs.

They transcend all possible being.

In a "subjectivist stance" non freewill (what everyone believes or states is true) we'd have no possible will.

I have a will so I know this isn't true

There has to be something for a will to be for
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:46 pm

both aggression and compassion are evolved traits which in some relevant way, served a function of survival. 'consent violation', therefore, is a necessary consequence of this, and produced some kind of advantage for some group of people in some kind of context.

the task humanity is faced with now in the modern world is how to express that vitalizing aggressive drive that is so important in strengthening and improving us - something proven over our entire course of history - without causing others to suffer. what is slowly dissolving is that atavistic concept of 'us and them'; part of our material evolution is the integration of all people into a system beneficial to everyone at nobody else's cost, and the first step into this transition is the recognition of the superfluous nature of the present system that so gratuitously 'violates consent' even at the most general level; economically. the first step in resolving - in 'out-evolving' - this earlier human stage of evolution we are stuck at on purpose (as it serves the advantage of the elite) and beginning the project of designing a world in which our aggression can be expressed with minimal 'consent violation', is to get rid of this notion of 'us and them'. such a concept is embarrassingly primitive and crude. we are no longer playing cowboys and indians or nazis and jews, and it's time to grow up.

what we need is an outlet for our aggressive instincts, a common enemy or obstacle we can unite against and delight in our aggressive natures. this is what i was alluding to when i said months ago 'the consent violation to end all consent violations'. once this omega of all consent violations takes place - the complete overthrowing of the capitalist system - a magnificent shift will occur in the ways in which we express that healthy and aggressive element of our nature. it will be channeled into much more productive forces that involve a very minimum of consent violation at such a trivial level (what we experience today in the petty quarrels of the class war) and focused on more futuristic ideals. the extraordinary challenge set before us to colonize space, to develop technologies that decrease the requirement of manual labor, and the development of the arts/sciences. these are the obstacles to be conquered... the thing which we direct our aggressive energies at.

like i said before, the planet i come from (my ship wrecked here years ago... long story) makes your miserable rock look like a bad sitcom. it is difficult for us to even feel sorry for such a joke of a world. you people have been cavemen for 200,000 years, and still are. how could one from the vulcan worlds do anything but laugh at such a travesty?
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby Ecmandu » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 am

Consent violation is destroying our food, our water, our atmosphere and our environment.

There has NEVER been a selective advantage for it.

You're trying to apologize for consent violation as a necessary evil, or even a good ...

Did you read the message I sent to iambiguous and urwrong !?!?

The message you replied to !?!?!?!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:27 pm

The Free Will Pill
Taylor A. Dunn asks, if free will were a drug, should you take it?
From Philosophy Now magazine

Let’s assume Mark Balaguer is right, and the question of whether we have free will or not will eventually be discovered by neuroscientists. They’ll either find that we have free will, or that we don’t, or perhaps that we have some degree of freedom that is generally unsatisfying. Recall that on Balaguer’s model, in order for us to have free will, those torn decision events need a 50/50 chance of going one way or the other. This would require a very particular orchestration of brain processes. And while the question is still entirely open as to what is going on during torn decision events, it seems overly optimistic that in many cases we are making a free choice on Balaguer’s terms. It might not require an exact balance though. A 60/40 probability split on a decision, for instance, might mean a 3:2 likelihood of choosing one option over another. But perhaps 50/50 is required for absolute freedom of choice at any given moment.

Some no doubt will read this and be torn 50/50 as to whether or not they agree with it. Or torn 50/50 as to whether or not they were free to make this as opposed to that assessment at all.

Now, if neuroscience is one day able to definitively determine that we do not have any capacity to choose freely [in any context] then that would seem to suggest that it is also able to grasp the ontological nature of existence itself. Going back to why there is an existence rather than no existence at all.

Then going all the way back to a definitive account of existence in relationship to God or to No God.

Right?

Let’s make the pessimistic assumption that neuroscientists discover either that we don’t have free will, or that we don’t have a satisfying degree of freedom over our choices. Couldn’t we in principle develop a drug able to manipulate brain function in order to achieve that 50/50 probability of the brain state going one way or the other at the moment of choice? It’s not so hard to imagine that, if we learn enough about the brain to figure out what’s involved during a decision, we’ll have a decent enough grasp on what it might take to alter the brain in order to manufacture free will in Balaguer’s sort of way.

How on earth would we encompass "for all practical purposes" what it means not to have a "satisfying degree of freedom over our choices"?

Let's try to imagine how this might work given our interactions with others from day to day. And, in the either/or world, excluding the part about dasein and conflicting goods in the is/ought world. After all, even if you reach the 50/50 mark in opting freely for one or another behavior who is to say which behavior [morally] is the right one?

So, here, what would constitute a free choice? What would constitute a determined choice?

What here "in principle" would constitute developing a free will pill? As opposed to in fact developing one?

How could we not be dissatisfied unless we were able to pin everything down as either this or that?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:29 pm

biggs, relax man. take five with brubeck and harris. you're gonna give yourself an aneurysm messing with these other guys.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 pm

The Free Will Pill
Taylor A. Dunn asks, if free will were a drug, should you take it?
From Philosophy Now magazine

...if truly free choices can only be made once the [free will pill] is taken, that would make the choice to take the drug either determined or random. It seems strange to think either that we might be determined to become free, or that we might randomly become free. And if we can manage to wrap our heads around that paradoxical prospect, we are left with the question of whether or not we ought to take the free will pill.

What this denotes of course is how tricky it can be for philosophers in grappling with human autonomy. You choose words to assess this but you don't have any substantive capacity to demonstrate that you could have chosen other words instead. You choose to take the free will pill only because somehow the laws of matter were able to reconfigure the human brain into creating a pill that reconfigures the laws of matter themselves into actual volition.

Then the part where we move beyond these thought experiments into an accumulation of actual experiential data we can use to pin down a definitive conclusion.

We always seem to get stumped here because sooner or later the assumptions we make about the assumptions we make themselves can only be anchored to the definition and the meaning we give to words that we are unable to demonstrate we opted for of our own free will. We profess our own subjective accounts here in a world of words that we can never actually attach to a comprehensive empirical understanding of how the brain functions as matter apart from how mindless matter functions given the laws of matter.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

For these 'hard-determinists the absence of free-will means their ideologies are divine in origin - part of a universal plan which they are agencies that bring it to fruition - doing 'god's will' in a secular form.

And then there are those hard determinists who argue that the words above are inherently, necessarily part of the only possible reality there could ever have been. Such that what he thinks he means by them and what we think he thinks he means by them are inherently, necessarily subsumed in that.

But: whatever is "behind" that "universal plan" of his is necessarily beyond being encompassed by any of us. At least on this thread.

So far.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy