With Peace Comes Boredom

It is a fact that without conflict there can be no victory. Without victory there can be no joy. Everything loses its meaning when there is nothing to overcome. You would feel no elation at finally getting that cute girl in marketing to go out with you because there was no challenge. Football could not exist nor the sibling rivalry that has helped to form so many of our personalities and interpersonal skills. Communication would be unnecessary, as you would have neither goals nor desires to express. By its very nature conflict is the glue that binds us together and makes us who we are.

If perfection is the north pole, the perfect man always walks north.

Can we safely assume that it is a fact? Is it not possible that, in the absence of conflict, we would live in a state equivalent to perpetual triumph?

I think Pangloss has hit the nail on the head - you cannot assume that perfection is a static, inflexible state. Perfection could be a situation in which the goalposts are continually shifted further and further away, with the pursuit of those ‘goalposts’ constituting perfection. That is a tenable state of affairs, while the idea that perfection is some fixed abstraction is somehow unsatisfactory. If you have infinite money, an infinitely suitable partner, an infinitely flash car etc etc, the scale of relative value judgement we invoke subconsciously on a day to day basis collapses. If however, perfection means that you have, say, 1000 billion dollars but continually find ways to amass more, comparison can still be made (over a given time period). This sits more comfortably with human thinking equipment…that’s why I think perfection (as applied to human beings) is actually a relative concept - over even an extremely short length of time. It is fixed only at a given instant, and that means that the definition of perfection implied in the quote above is of little use.

So I reckon that perfection is a flux. If that’s right, it is potentially possible for us to live in a state of perfection and be satisfied at the same time.