Why Isn't The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

Intelligent Design is not something science teachers should be teaching for like Creationism it assumes God made the universe
Since this is clearly beyond the remit of science to determine it should therefore be confined to religion or philosophy instead

Did you read what James wrote?

I am no believer in creationism, but it the story of creation in the Bible does point to the fact that this planet is a work of Art, despite its dangers it is incredible, and obviously inherently part of some “blueprint” which forsees such an outburst of life as soon as the conditions are given.

That too could be regarded as a kind of intelligent design - perhaps different to what the creationists are talking about, but where did yours and my awareness come from? There are too many open questions to be so sure about things so mysterious. “The beginners mind” would do us good here.

It is known how the universe came into existence and also when life began upon Earth and so those particular questions can already be answered
However there are ones that currently cannot be answered and they are the ones more suitable for the beginners mind that you referred to here

Interesting.

I had envisioned a system using 3 “colors” of money:
• A - Blue - Awareness (“situational information”) - What is happening (media).
• U - Red - Understanding (“causal information”) - Why/How things happen (science).
• I - Green - Influence (“causal/military inspiration”) - Doing something about it (business).

Those are the 3 necessary constructs for life (not counting the bonding of them together - the person). Machines, money, and anything else should be used ONLY to enhance those abilities for individuals and in proper proportion.

In 1965 I was asked to sign a document stating that I was not a communist in order to be able to teach. No problem. I was not affiliated with any political agenda. I was able to teach Darwinism with impunity. Years later, I was refused a teaching position because of the length of my hair. Maybe now in 2016 such petty issues are no longer considered.
In view of the OP, I wonder whether or not we are capable of discussing a belief in God without having to psychoanalyze each other. I believe in a prime mover. I believe God is the sum total of the Universe. I believe God is Love. My beliefs are based on personal experience, not on hearsay.

Is this god an entity? Or a force… This is the main question I have, I view a ‘god’ as nature, a force that strives through all life. It creates heaven or hell, through us, but through a perspective and will that is not free. Collective consciousness, etc.

What’s the answer? Because I am science literate and am wondering what answer for the universes existence you are talking of.

A force! I totally agree. IMHO God is and does what God is. Freedom is a human invention.

Two of the three “colors” refer to information, and one of the three “colors” refers to influence / inspiration. So I guess that the energetic resources are a hidden part of the latter,the “green color” (“I”). Or are they not included?

The green is to be used for everything other than information or analysis. So you would not pay green money to the internet service, cable, telephone, teachers, engineers, scientists, or the like. Those are all information services. Green money would be for purchasing food, shelter, transportation, weapons, electricity, fuel, whatever else.

Yes, that would interest me too! :-"

C, H, O, N,S–carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur are ingredients of living organisms that may be found on billions of planets that are the right distance from their star. God is life. So why would we limit the God of the universe, who is the universe, to our paltry planet?
Your God is too small if–

1. God is only involved with inhabitants of Earth–
  2. God is totally described by human religions
  3. God does not exist except in the minds of men

Why isn’t belief in God considered mental illness? Because it can be based on physical reality.

If you are alluding to what happened before the Big Bang that is unknown but it was the beginning of local cosmic expansion

So it can therefore be said to be the point at which the observable universe came into existence regardless of anything else

Believing in the big bang should be considered a mental illness.
:laughing:

Belief in God is not considered a mental illness for there are too many people who believe in him

So it has absolutely nothing at all to do with physical reality or else everyone would be a believer

Well in that case then I should be grateful that it does not apply to me

But as I am slightly mentally ill anyway the point is somewhat academic

If you consider not only God or gods but also the false gods, then you need to say: “All humans believe in God, gods, or false gods”.

So when a so-called “expert” says to you “you are mentally ill because you believe in God”, then you can always respond “you are even more mentally ill because you believe in many false gods”.

But then the situation becomes political, and the “expert” shows you what “power” means. :stuck_out_tongue:

But it hasn’t been proven for a fact yet, you cannot use something that relies on even a shred of faith against faith itself.

And James, I do appreciate you and others pointing out and providing reason as to how/why science relies on faith as well and is tied down with dogma, the same as a lot of modern religions.