Who is ILP's Funniest?

I don’t credit people who are unintentionally funny with being funny. It think they’re more appropriately “lucky.”

For actually being intentionally funny, I’d nominate Tab, Uccisore, Only_Humean, and Smears. Smears is more screwball comedy, O_H and Uccs have drier wit, and Tab is pretty well rounded and manages to be funniest when he’s being most philosophical, which is impressive.

There are a lot of funny trolls, but few funny enough to offset the fact that they’re trolls. I have to give it to people that can handle a discussion with brain-power to spare for style. Except for Smears, who is funny enough.

If my criteria was just based on who made me laugh out loud the most, then myself. It’s not even close. I think I recall others occasionally making me laugh out loud, but mostly others can just be amusing. But, I recall practically gasping for breath from my own jokes that I made here many times. Sometimes I even revisit my old posts and laugh some more.

But, as for second, I’d say Mo. He has no more of a clever disposition than anyone, but it’s about timing. He so often acted as if he doesn’t understand humor, so when he does on occasion make a witty insult, as opposed to the usual repetitive one’s, it stands out.

I’m thinking of a specific one, but I can’t remember where.

Your mum.

I did like a few peoples sense of humour. I can’t really pin it down to anyone person though, some people are just funny. I suppose there are several people who do funny well, Faust had a turn of phrase that could make me chuckle, as do some people already suggested. But I don’t think anyone really cares for class clown, funny is fun, but not going to hold the attention for long.

Don’t think funny insults should qualify tbh, unless they are so clever they transcend the norm, sarcasm isn’t the lowest form of wit, but you be damn sure demeaning other people to try and be funny is. Unless of course you are a stand up on a stage in a comedy club, then anything goes, ILP is not a comedy club, btw. If you are going to be funny on a forum you should stick to just basic funny not fat jokes directed at fat people etc, or not your mum jokes, your mum jokes are for pros only, anyone who uses one should be perma banned from the forum unless they have met someone’s mum, and let’s face it everyone knows your mum intimately, she’s a whore. :slight_smile:

The Aristocrats anyone? :smiley:

Mind you as funny as anyone is comedians in rl do it better it’s their job:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzLlLM7Rgm8[/youtube]

People who can do this off the cuff are funny. None of us are in the same league as those who do funny for a living, we should not imagine we are. :slight_smile:

Serious as in ironic? That’s the only kind I know. Not very funny though.

I have to read more Kierkegaard this summer: in order to answer that, but irony at bottom may have comical overtones, where hidden or guarded questions may be implied as to why the actual can’t trump the possible.

I mentioned Kierkegaard, because he may have some hidden answers in repetition, or in this sickness unto death.

Sorry for the delay and the hold on concluding this answer, and thank You for Your patience.

Lambiguous: I finished my reply to your question: in a previous post, in essence, although I felt, there was an underlying effort at humor in any irony, it would take me reading that I am sorely amiss in, to enable me to give an answer. I will work on it and get back to You. Thanks.

Maybe to you. To me you’re this guy. Not the old one from the 1800s, but the one that’s in Tombstone.

google.com/search?q=johnny+ … 9ASCrYGoAg

It’s perspectivism g. Some philosophy dog. Like it’s how I see it and all that.

That being said, I’d also like to thank the other funny people of ILP. I can’t believe I forgot captaincrunk. Who was that guy? Gobbo is funny if I can convince myself that he doesn’t believe the conspiracy thing and is just acting out the role for an ulterior motive. When I think he really believes it I worry. Also pretty much anyone I’ve every had more than about a 10 post exchange with. I was probably laughing my ass off.

Okay, but make sure it’s funny. And if you’re not entirely certain what that is, employ a leap of faith. But in the end only God knows. And we all know how ironic that is, right?

John Jones had a sense of humor that almost none of you picked up on, but was probably the sharpest here.

I never picked up on that. Would you please note some examples. Oh, and is there a way to determine if someone is funny objectively?

I still can’t believe people don’t think ladyjane is intentionally funny. I think it’s going to keep me up tonight.

There are plenty of funny people here though, even though I’ve only mentioned a few. I agree with many of the nominations.

There’s nothing funny at all about a meaningless existence. Except the parts that are.

How is anybody supposed to take you seriously when you make claims like this? There’s no such thing as a more blatant contradiction. All X’s are not Y. Except some X’s are Y.

Comeon man.

Are you being more or less ironic here than I am there? Can that be determined objectively? And it’s not really all that funny either.

For godssakes man… Yes, that is a straightforward logical contradiction.

Gooooood Lord…

Isn’t everything you don’t agree with?

I never disagree with any claim just because it is logically contradictory with some other claim----I merely assume that the person who holds both of two logically contradictory claims doesn’t know what he is talking about. You just won’t find me running in incompatible directions…

…because I am a river.

How utterly abstract. And most abstractions are only unintentionally funny.

So: Two logically contradictory claims with respect to what? Why don’t you come back over to the von/iambiguous thread and we can sort it all out there.

Here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182625&start=75

I am a river too…but a mysterious, ever moving, ever changing river.

The claims that YOU made.

No, you are a dogmatic absolutist, who is fundamentally religious in orientation. That’s the source of your irony: You think everything is relative… but you mean that in a universal absolutist sense. I am the river here.

I am a river.

Again, let’s take this stuff up here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=182625&start=75

That’s why I created it. So we wouldn’t have to derail threads like this one. But that bit about me being a “dogmatic absolutist”? Okay, that is really, really funny.