Was Gautama Buddha Enlightened?

Holy crackpot, I’ve seen a theory like that before… that thing about the human species being used as toys by an alien species. Crap I can’t remember who it was. It wasn’t David icke or that zacariah dude. Wasnt Alex jones. Wasn’t the behold a pale horse dude either. Wasn’t the gods of Eden guy.

Wouldn’t be eternal. Both parties would get bored after a while.

Science fiction is full of this kind of stuff -for good reason!

That is why I don’t read it anymore.

Assuming that clones had a collective memory -which they don’t. The aliens would not get any more bored than humans would -humans who have enjoyed cock fighting since time immortal.

Then let is turn our weapons toward the capital!

There’s only one way out -and that’s to renounce violence. Pacifists make poor gladiators.

The Buddha implied that if You think you are enlightened, then You are not. Maybe he had a premonition they would out and kill him, when seeing him in the road. Not for fear, but of not finishing his job. Now Christ never had this idea. Why? Because He knew the traps ego can lay, for Him it was a non issue, because following His lead was sufficient. Wisdom was not Pre-requisite, Faith was.
For Buddha saw this as well, but He held up an ideal which was not that transparent. Millions of lives may be insufficient, whereas one, may be.
I don’t think we could disqualify either from approaching similar paths, albeit in differing ways to satisfy the common mentality of their constituency.

Actually Jesus said anyone who was not wise would go to hell.

Yes, in the Beautitudes, but they were instructions in parables, and it is contended that they had not had the same sense of wisdom, as is now understood. (Matthew 5-7~ 'Blessed are the poor in spirit…for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven).

Poor in spirit can either be wise or unwise, i dont see how it has any bearing in the context of your argument.

I gather “enlightenment” is in the eye of the beholder. In this individuals eyes, “enlightenment” means absolutely nothing substantial, and is just a word to be thrown around here and there to mean something like “you’re correct” (that’s an “enlightening” though, etc).

I also don’t think that “enlightened” (aka wise) people care/concern themselves with being enlightened. There are some frauds out there (like Osho, among many) who put a big emphasis on this sort of thing. But the wise don’t care about arbitrary labels. I don’t know if the Buddha existed, I don’t know if he was enlightened, and I don’t care one way or the other. The teachings are there. Same with Christ and Christianity. The historical “truth” is irrelevant to the teachings we have today. That’s just my view at this time along the way.

There’s a story about a Brahmin priest who approaches The Buddha and asks:

“Are you a Deva (a god)?”
“No, Brahman, I am not a Deva.”
“Are you a Gandhabba (lesser god/angel)?”
“No.”
“… a Yakkha (a trickster or protector spirit)?”
“No.”
“… a human being?”
“No, Brahman, I am not a human being.”
“Then what sort of being are you?”
Buddha replied “Remember me, Brahman, as Awakened."

When retelling this story, Buddha’s answer is often truncated to the pithy “I am Awake”. That answer is profound in itself because he’s saying he is simply Awake, nothing more. He’s not a god, a demi god, a celestial being of any sort, he’s simply Awake, but the phrase “remember me as…” tells us much more. It tells us where he’s coming from when saying that he’s Awake.

Buddha is saying that he’s no longer there. He has no ego… no personhood… no identity and therefore nothing to pin any label on but, to satisfy the Brahmin’s need for an answer, he tells him to simply “remember me as Awake.”

Ironically, it’s because he has no identity to pin labels on, that signifies that he’s truly Enlightened/Awake.