The Son of God

Nickfdr:

Why did Jesus die on the cross? Because the Jews wanted him dead… He pissed off the religious authorities of his day with his heretical teachings.

His death wasn’t part of some grand scheme to redeem the sins of humanity. It was simply an injustice, pure and simple.

It’s not Jesus’ death that matters most but Jesus’ life.

Well thank you but that doesn’t correlate to me how o.t. prophets get to call themselves that, of course they were men why make it obvious? However, Jesus was not to be a son of a man, which suddenly the mean changes for him? I don’t get it… yes he was a man, but not a son of a man.

This is the “I am but a man” concept as mentioned before, and it is important as they are constantly reminding people that they are Mashiach (Messiah, meaning prophet in their use), but not the Mashiach Moshia’ (or Hamoshia’), or rather, they are stating that they are not the Savior Prophet.
This is important to the Hebrew, as the last Moshia’ of any form was Moses (Mosheh), who’s name was literal of Masha, meanding similarly, to draw out, or save.

Considering the reverence for such a second savior, the liberating savior, Prophets always made their attempt to announce that they were indeed not of this claim; that they were merely a regular man, called to offer warnings and prophecies.

He was a son of man in the sense that he had a man’s birth.

He is a man.

Specifically, he was both a Son of Man and a Son of God.
This means that he would answer to both when asked.

Most commonly, when referred to as the Son of Man he was referred to as HaAdam Harishon (the first Adam), and sometimes HaAdam Ha’acharon (the last Adam) referring to the first and the last sacrifice, as the fall of Adam was considered the original sacrifice to becoming truly man, and it was to be the Mashiach Moshia’ that was to be the last sacrifice of man to reconcile man with God.
To right Israel once again and liberate them back to their just place as God’s righteous people.

So when Jesus shows up talking about metaphysical kingdoms…well, that’s when heresy starts being discussed.

Aside from these, Jesus is also called:
Son of the Living God
Ben Elohim Chayim

Son of David
Ben David

Son of Abraham
Ben Avraham

Son of the Father
Ben Ha’Av

Son of the Highest
Ben Elyon

Each with their own list of relations to the Hebrew prophet and law culture.

Ok I’ll accept it for what it is I guess. Thanks,

To me, the expression “Son of God” as applied to Jesus of Nazareth, means that he had a uniquely vital, intimate, loving, trusting, quasi-personal relationship with ultimate reality.